The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 11, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

Can you full choke 00 buck?

I know you can full choke #4buck, but what about 00?
Old May 11, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
WV_gunner

I don't think I'd shoot it through a full choke, but even if it doesn't mess the gun up I'm willing to bet you'd have a bad pattern
Old May 11, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
HALL,AUSTIN

Im thinkin Mod choke... Right?
Old May 11, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Doyle

One of the problems shooting buckshot through tight choke is the "rebound effect". As the shot cup passes through the choke it gets squeezed and stores some energy. After passing through, the energy is released and the shot spreads out. Think of it like a bunch of billiard balls bunched up that gets hit by the queball. That can mean wider patterns than you would get by using modified.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
mete

It has been done and you can get some interesting patterns.However I would never do it as a common practice ,chokes are not designed for that.
In any case ALWAYS pattern your load and choke ! You might be surprised . My Benelli with MOD choke and BB steel shot gave me EXTRA EXTRA FULL patterns !!
Old May 11, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
droptrd

You can do it but like others have said it doesnt pattern well at all. Pretty much a waste of money. Even 4buck. #2 shot is devistating with a full but with buck shot i usually stick with a modified of some kind. I have a carlsons coyote choke that does really well with buckshot.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

You can try. It might not work too well though.

The tightest patterns of 00 I've ever gotten in my life, I'm getting with a CYL bore barrel and FliteControl buckshot. Ought to try it sometime...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Al Den

I think you CAN with little danger but I don't think you WANT to. Probably have negative effect on pellets and pattern. IC up to Mod are usually max considered, at least w/bigger pellets.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Sheikyourbootie

I use mod with no problem and actually get about a 5" pattern at 30 ft with Remington 00 buck. Never tried full.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Sheik,

I get 00 buck patterns that size or smaller at 25 yards (75 feet)... out of an 18" 870 Police CYL bore barrel, with Federal LE 127-00.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:04 AM   #11
rbernie

I've run 00 buck out of a few full-choked barrels - not because I wanted to but because I happaned to have a couple of shotguns (S&W 1000s) with fixed choke barrels that were choked full and a handful of field (not LE) buckshot loads. The recoil was noticably greater (not uncomfortable, but more than normal) than a sister shotgun with a MOD barrel. Patterns in all cases were 18+ inches at 20 yards.

It can be done without issue, but it's not optimal. In large part due to Lee's advice here and elsewhere, I have become a real fan of LE buck loadings, and specifically anything with the Fed FliteControl wad.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:35 PM   #12
columbia_shotguneer

Federal flightcontrol buckshot is the best I've seen introduced for factory 00 buck in years of shooting different factory buckshot. The flightcontrol 00 seems to pattern tighter using a cylinder, skeet, or improved cylinder choke constriction. Never tried patterning it using mod or full chokes. Austin, I'll let you on a hidden secret. Some brands of standard lead factory 00 buckshot will pattern dense patterns using a full choke. Just get a long cone(extended) choke and see if it works for you.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
scepterman30x

I was viewing this forum and had to register to add my .02 to a lot of misconceptions I am reading.
This post being the first I am replying to.
First I do not know where all the beliefs about firing large BS through a full choke is dangerous is coming from.
2nd you cannot just assume your full choke will not pattern well. All guns are different.
From personal experience I believe the fellow who posted prior to me said it best that a full choke that has a long gradual taper is what will help a pattern the best.
I have a shotgun with a full choke that at 25 yrds. I can cover all 9 pellets of 00 buck with my hand...all others do not pattern as well.
I guess the old axiom of the closer the length of the charge in relation to the dia. of the charge will pattern best.
BTW all the shotguns of the model I am refering to pattern tight with most all shot...talk about reaching out there an touching something.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Salmoneye

Of course you can shoot 00 through a full choke...

Whether it patterns as well as other chokes through your specific gun is a matter of you doing your homework...

But any 'modern barrel' in good condition will not be hurt by it...
Old June 8, 2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Won't hurt the barrel, but patterns may be less than good....
Old June 10, 2012, 07:25 PM   #16
shortwave

^^^This^^^

Many times you'll find the large soft lead pellets of 00 being deformed as it passes through the tight choke causing erratic, inconsistent patterns.
Old June 10, 2012, 08:35 PM   #17
PeterGreg

both shot at 10 yards total spread about 5-6" on both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patterns buck 003a.jpg (30.4 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg patterns buck 001a.jpg (31.3 KB, 431 views)
Old June 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
both shot at 10 yards total spread about 5-6" on both
At 10 yds I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of difference between a full and an IC. Stretch that out to a 30yd hunting distance and that is were the real test is.
Old June 10, 2012, 10:29 PM   #19
zippy13

Greetings scepterman30x, and welcome aboard.
Old June 11, 2012, 08:59 AM   #20
scepterman30x

Thank you Zippy13. I may not be much as far as regular diologue but I will always be lurking in the forums here and there.