The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 06:19 PM   #26
357 Python

In my opinion the Ruger "Six" series are the finest DA rovolvers that Ruger ever brought out. Many years ago I past on a few Ruger Security Sixes because I was new to shooting and had no idea of Ruger. To me at the time Ruger was an off brand, I was used to S&W and Colt. Boy did I miss out on some fine revolvers. Wish I could find one that I passed up then. If you want an older Ruger, you want a Ruger "Six".
Old December 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #27
Workhorse

I have to agree with 357 python 100% I own two ss security sixes and you couldn't hurt them if you tried,they are truly underrated and underpriced IMO
Old December 30, 2012, 09:59 PM   #28
jben

A friend came over to the house the other day, and wanted to check out my collection of revolvers. I have various makes, sizes, and barrel lengths. Of the ones I let him hold and get the feel of, he paused when he held the 3" gp100, and said "I really like this." Granted, we didn't go out and shoot any of them, but as far as first time impression and feel goes, that's the one that caught his attention the most. I have the old style compact grips on it with wood inserts. jben
Old December 31, 2012, 03:27 AM   #29
Nanuk

I think 3"-4" revolvers balance nicely.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:10 PM   #30
roaddog28

Quote:
A Blackhawk convertible in 357mag/9mm. Hard to beat the versatility of a gun that can shoot 357 magnum, 38 special, and 9mm
I agree with your statement. I have a Blackhawk convertible in 357mag/9mm and its my best all around revolver. Built on the large frame series of Blackhawks and very few revolvers are stronger.
Howard
Old January 1, 2013, 09:15 PM   #31
tomrkba

SP101...ick! I can't stand these revolvers. The crane is just a bit short for speedloaders when the factory grips are installed and it tends to bind. The gun is heavy and is just large enough to not fit in my pockets. It's not small enough to hide really well. The trigger needs work. The front sight stinks and is begging for tritium. It should hold six rounds of 357 Magnum, but only manages five.

Just get a Ruger GP100 3" and be happy. Swap out the front and rear sights with Meprolight Night Sights. Get some custom grips. Buy the full kit from triggershims.com for a quick trigger job. All that's left is to chamfer the charge holes and it's ready to go. You can do all the work yourself except for the charge hole chamfers.

Or get this (treat it like a GP100 for accessories):

Last edited by tomrkba; January 1, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:01 PM   #32
ThomasT

Tomrkba I tried to find your posted gun on the Ruger site but couldn't find it. Can you post a Link? I like it.

I have two SS revolvers, An early first year gun and a later 1986 made gun. I like both. The early gun is like a S&W model 15 in 357 mad and the later gun is like a model 19 S&W.

I also have a SS 6" GP-100 and love it. Frankly I like the new lockwork over the old lockwock. The only thing wrong with the the GP guns is the weight. If Ruger could put them on a diet they might be the best 357s ever made.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:44 AM   #33
Motownstan

Quote:
My dad recently inherited a fairly large sum of money..... first he was looking at taurus' because of price,
Old January 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #34
tomrkba

That gun is the Ruger Alaskan in 44 Magnum. It is a fun 44 Mag launcher, but is even better with 44 Special. If you get one, try Remington UMC 44 Magnum 180 grain JSP. The flash and concussion is impressive and the entire range will pause for a moment when you fire that first shot. The three foot orange hollow fireball that goes downrange is really neat.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:03 PM   #35
Roland Thunder

I am glad I read some of these posts. I had thought about selling my stainless Ruger Security Six, 6# barrel. Don't think I will now, sounds like I will regret it.

Old January 2, 2013, 05:42 PM   #36
boa2

If I were you, I'd certainly keep that nice Security-Six. They are great revolvers and I'm sure that you'd regret letting it go! I have 22 Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers that I've collected over the years. And, every time I sold one I always had regretted doing this!
Old January 7, 2013, 03:09 AM   #37
stormyone

<<<It's not small enough to hide really well. >>>

I beg to differ. the SP101 disappears with a good holster IWB.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Hammerhead

Of all the Ruger 357's I prefer the GP100. It has the smoothest, most consistent DA trigger.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
Madcap_Magician

IIRC, I think Wolff is still making springs for Six-series guns. Worse comes to worse, I know Gemini Custom will do work on them.