The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2008, 05:33 PM   #26
TheNatureBoy

As long as its done legally and the deer won't be wasted, I don't have a problem with it.
Old March 21, 2008, 05:59 PM   #27
Freakdaddy

The .38 would be the ideal one to start off with providing it's not a snubnose or extremely lightweight. The longer the sight plane, i.e. the distance between the front and rear sight, the easier it is to shoot. If it is a .45 ACP and is a full-size semi-auto, this one wouldn't be a bad one to learn on either. Recoil shouldn't be too bad. You can shoot .44 Specials through the .44 Mag which may make it more manageable and a little cheaper to shoot.

Regardless of which pistol you start off with, make sure to wear eye and especially ear protection. Of course, this goes for any firearm. The first time I shot a .44 Mag, I didn't have any ear protection in. For 2 days, I couldn't hear hardly anything. It took almost a week before things were back to normal where I didn't have any trace of a high pitched ringing. Also, make sure someone who is familiar with handguns is there with you when you first start off. Revolvers and pistols, although almost identically held the same with your strong hand, the support hand differs some. Also make sure they show you how to break them down and clean them. Take care of your guns and your guns will take care of you.

Here's a few links:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arrett&pl=true

This guy touches base on the escaping gas in front of the chamber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHD6JJFQ2WM

This is why you don't put your thumb near the front of the cylinder. Kinda graphic.
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...-revolver.html

I grip my revolvers more like this guy. Video quality isn't all that great though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFO6ZnyDGE8

You can find a ton more info at your public library as well. This should help get you off on the right foot.

Alan
Old March 21, 2008, 07:30 PM   #28
MeekAndMild

Got yo watch the law. In some states button bucks are only legal in doe season. Best advice if you're hunting antlerless deer is to shoot the bigger one which will be more likely a mature doe. Little ones may be little does or buttons and you won't know until you walk up on them.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old March 21, 2008, 09:59 PM   #29
dac12

With the holding the pistol part. From the little experience I have shooting pistols the way I hold them is basically how the guy in the 3rd video did it accept I wrap my free hand around my wrist. Is that bad?
i think i'll try and start shooting the .45 auto first so i can get used to shooting a pistol/not blow my finger off.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:47 PM   #30
castnblast

I goofed this year and picked the wrong deer during our TX doe season. (fortunately spikes are legal during doe season) and nailed a button buck. I was very embarrased because I was hunting on a friends property. Fortunately they took it in stride, and all I got were the jokes about shooting bambi. so even after hunting almost 30 years, you can still goof. It's not a big deal - provided you eat what you shoot. I generally try not to shoot bambi, but a mature deer, but have done so at least 3 times in my hunting experience, due to mistaken I.D's. No sweat, good eats! bon apetite!
Old March 24, 2008, 05:35 AM   #31
rem870hunter

congrats on your first deer, my condolences on the loss of your father. 16 firearms is NOT a bad thing at all. i remember my first deer. very very samll doe. so small it looked like a dog. but it didn't taste like a dog though:barf:.

the 38 should be a good starter. but like others said you would want a longer barrel.

as far as legally carrying a handgun in NJ when hunting etc. its not legal to carry a handgun, you also can't hunt with a handgun in NJ. even carrying it for self defense or anything unless you are police or LEO in the woods or fields is illegal:barf:. PA may be different. from the sounds of it you were hunting central or northern NJ. i am in southern NJ. welcome to TFL, good hunting for the years to come.
Old March 24, 2008, 08:34 PM   #32
dac12

Thx guys.
Well that answers the pistol question. Good to see someone else on the forum from New Jersey (sure there’s more)
Quick question anyone ever hunt here:
http://www.hunt-tioga.com/index.html
Old March 24, 2008, 08:35 PM   #33
dac12

o and ya i'm in norther new jersey.
live in morris county but not shure where i hunt. i know the way just not the county. its past stocks mointain if you know where that is.
Old March 30, 2008, 05:04 AM   #34
lon371

The way I see it. If you got a good clean kill and the deer was legally harvested GREAT JOB! I have been hunting for 10 years. I still get excited seeing deer. I get more excited EATING them. Ate some lastnight in a macoroni caserol. I have become the neighbor hood hunting dad. I have taught my kids and several others to shoot. And I have taken all them hunting. I think it is great when kids get into hunting. I love see their reactions when they get their first be it a buck or doe. One of my daughters shot a super nice 10 point her first couple hours out. She was like "yeah I got a deer" My boy now his luck was differrent. Took him 2 years to get a shot at one. It was a doe. He was excited for 2 or 3 days. Took a 12 year old girl one year, second day she shot a small Doe. the girl scared me to death. She was 25 yards from me. I heard the shot, She screamed! about hurt myself getting to her. She was so excited(thats why she screamed) She was still shaking when I took her and here deer to show her parents.
You keep hunting you will get a big one. But until then, if it is legal to harvest. I say go for it- be it a button buck or a small doe. As far as the kid at school. Well my boys response would be "and your point is what?" My daughters responses would be similar, and ending in a threat Dont worry about what others think. Everyone has their own oppinion, some people feel they need to voice it (whether asked or not)
Old March 30, 2008, 05:12 AM   #35
lon371

As far as hunting Tioga. If you have the money I would try it. that Elk price looks good. We live in Indiana, couple of freinds go to Colorado ever couple years for Elk. They spend around $2500 EACH. They have no guarantees to bring anything home. Tennesse guided hunts for Bore about the same price as Tioga. I would check into it, if you have the funds for it. Sure would be cool to harvest a Buffalo!
Old March 31, 2008, 04:55 PM   #36
aerod1

I see nothing wrong with a kid harvesting a young button buck if he wants. Be sure to give him kudos and praises for his first deer!!
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)

Last edited by aerod1; April 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old April 1, 2008, 04:04 PM   #37
ELMOUSMC

Congradulations those young buck are tasty around here our deer are corn fed and some of the does I have harvested have run close to 250 lbs.There are some around here that are pressing for a Doe qualifier before you can take a Buck as a method of herd control.If you ever venture out this way I would be proud to have you hunt with me good luck and good hunting ELMOUSMC