The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 8, 2005, 08:43 PM   #1
USP45usp

Magazine Subsribtions

This may be OT even here in SWAT forum but I have a question (and in NO WAY am I saying this about SWAT. Even through I've never met them, I know in my heart that the Staff of SWAT are honest people. This is about other magazines and something that I've been suspious(sp) of and I think that I can now prove it):

I subscribed to Shotgun News last month. I did the year deal, sent in my check, got the issues for December.

Today, I get a deal in the mail saying that my subscribtion was about to EXPIRE and if I didn't want my subscribtion interrupted I had better renew NOW!

I'm like WTH (what the heck)!!! I just subscribed last month, got two issues, and now it's about to expire!!!!!!!

I've felt that I've been shorted on other mags as well, especially American Handgunner and Guns and Ammo.

The only ones that I know that I've gotten the full subscribtion from CCM (Concealed Carry Magazine) and American's First Freedom (NRA) and there is no doubt in my mind that I will get the full subscribtion of SWAT.

Rich, Staff, since you've been around the magazine business, is this what happens with the others or am I just paranoid from the mailing from Shotgun News.

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Rich, Staff, since you've been around the magazine business, is this what happens with the others or am I just paranoid from the mailing from Shotgun News.
Nope, not the case with any mag I know....though it certainly appears so.

Here's how it works in a typical case:
12 Issues = Up to 5 attempts to get the renewal....sometimes at issues 7, 5, 3, 2, 1. So, by the time the First Class Mail hits you from the first renewal attempt, you may have only received half your order.

Personally, I hate being involved in it. But a book like SN exeriences a renewal rate of around 30%.....not because people would not read another copy; simply because they procrastinate. If you ever have a question, ask it, Wayne. If the book does not respond with documentation of the issues you paid for and received, they probably don't deserve your money. I've been a paying SN subscriber for years....I've gotten what I paid for.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2005, 10:43 AM   #3
USP45usp

Rich,

I may have jumped the gun on this one, I'll run the year subscribtion and if SN doesn't produce all the issues then I will know.

One of the reasons that I'm this way is I had a subscribtion to Gun Tests and then sent me a couple of issues and then stopped. I had paid for a year and I emailed them as well as wrote a letter. No answer.

Imagine my surprise when I got a deal from a collections agency saying that I owed for the subscribtion that I had already paid for and didn't get all the issues! I then checked my credit report and they had dinged my credit.

I sent them a copy of the cashed check as well as my initial letter, they didn't respond. I protested the credit companies (I don't know if that is the correct word to use) and it was removed.

That is the main reason why I quit subscribing to magazines. The two (not counting SN yet) that I've had nothing but great service is CCM and SWAT so those are the only two that I will continue to do business with.

(Oh, I may have you switch the mailing address for my magazine, I talked with my neighbor beside me and she says that they've had mail stolen from their box so the transients maybe stealing. I called the postal service about it already and I'll see what they do).

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote