The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 31, 2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Brtt485

How do I determine when a handgun was manufactured?

I live in MA and many desireable handguns were made illegal for buy/sell in 1998. However, guns manufactured prior to that October 1998 legislation are legal for purchase and sale. How do I determine whether or not a particular gun was manufactured before then, or better yet, how do I determine exactly when a particular gun was manufactured?
Old August 1, 2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

Generally speaking, if you call most gun companies they will tell you a production date over the phone.

Especially if you explain your problem.
Old August 1, 2005, 02:57 AM   #3
kozak6

If the gun producer has a website, give that a quick look too. Some list when certain runs were made, and in some cases, the date it was produced is part of the serial number.
Old August 1, 2005, 08:35 AM   #4
jacobtowne

If it's being sold by a dealer with a gunshop, you can be pretty sure it's a Mass. gun and is lawful to transfer.
JT
Old August 1, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

For Colts and some other guns, there are books which give manufacturing dates. Some companies now stamp the date of manufacture under the grips just because of laws like that. There are other ways; for example, a Smith & Wesson revolver without a model number was made prior to 1957-58.

Jim