The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 27, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

free float ar/bipod/sling

Hey folks, Just got in the ar game and what I wound up with is a 20" heavy barrel with free float tube and picatinny gas block on a flattop upper. My problem is I need a bipod and if possible a sling mount as well. Free float tube makes that just alittle more challenging considering the drilling and tapping involved. I was thinking about a harris #5 mount but then there are bolt on rail mounts as well. What do you guys think is the best way to go about it?
Old October 28, 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
1DrnkMxR

I'm a little confused about the drilling & tapping
Old October 28, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
arizona98tj

I believe the OP has the round tube type handguard and not a picatinny rail handguard. At least, that is what makes sense to me based on his comments. I could be wrong.
Old October 28, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

yes it is a free float tube, and it requires drilling a hole(s) in to screw mounting studs/bolt rails onto. What im interested in are some ideas as to what might be most functional, and whats just plain goofy. We all know theres lots of junk on the market to be had, and some of it even is overpriced junk. I would like to hear from other peoples experiences in mounting these accessories to one with a free float tube so I don't spend the money on the wrong junk or possibly mess up a forend for no good reason.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Rusty W

I'm having the same problem. I put an AR together from parts I had purchased a little at a time. I have an A2 stock and no where to put a sling on the front end. I'm shopping for a quad gas tube but haven't found one to my liking yet.
Here's the upper I purchased.
http://shop.redxarms.com/16-RXA15-BU...PPER-31125.htm
Old October 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
MarkCO

Looking for QD on the sling, 2 point? Drill a hole where you want to mount something. There are rail kits from MagPul, Nordic, Noveske and others to let you mount rails with just properly spaced holes in the handguard. Some have thread locker on the threads with basically T nut on the inside. They are elongated so they won't rotate. Then again, you can buy a machine thread sling stud and get a T nut and nylon washer from ACE for a grand total of about $5/unit.

Or, save all the hassle and just buy a Hogue Cuff
Old October 30, 2013, 08:40 PM   #7
burrhead

This may work for you.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod41593.aspx

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.