The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Captains1911

Looking for a Slender Compact Gun Case

I'm looking for a lockable soft case that is just long and wide enough for my Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel. All the soft cases I'm aware of are wide enough to accommodate scopes, optics, and accessories, and have handles. I'm looking for something as short, compact, and low profile as possible and is able to be locked via the zipper pulls or other means. Thanks for your help.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
SSA

MidwayUSA has several of what they call a 'shotgun/carbine case.' Sounds like what you're looking for.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Captains1911

This one seems like the right size, but I'm not sure its lockable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348...-with-tan-trim
Old November 11, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Pahoo

Should be lockable

Quote:
but I'm not sure its lockable.
It probably is, to a point or minimum security. Most of these types, have a metal bale or loop, at the closed end of the case. You simply slip the zipper handle or tab, through the loop and install a small lock through the hole, in the tab. I would suggest a hard poly case that is more secure ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Captains1911

I just need it to be "lockable" to comply with laws requiring guns in transport be cased and locked. I fully realize the security limits.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Pahoo

Seek and ye shall find

Captains
Contact Midway and see if they can help you confirm that indeed, it can be locked in the manny I described in my reply #4. ...

Better yet, go to your local Walmart or sporting goods store as this is a fairly common design, that can be locked. Most folks miss this option on their soft cases. In Iowa, the law use to require a locked hard case. You might want to confirm this for your state. Our law has changed and now, a simple gun-sock meets the requirement. .. .

Please get back to us on how you made out and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 11, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
PetahW

Shotgun (as opposed to scoped rifle ) cases are manufactured by several makers, like Boyd's & others; and are available in large funshops, online & in big-box sporting goods chain stores like Dick's, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc.

Various qualities are made, using materials ranging from canvas/leather, to clothe & the hide of the wild Naugha.

Old November 11, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Pahoo

Review edited reply #6

Review edited reply #6 ...

Be Safe !!!