The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 17, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1
JR_

Marlin 60 lawsuit/defect?

I've been shopping for a new 60 this week, and called a couple nearby Marlin dealers for availability. Not finding one in stock, I asked one manager if I could special order one. He told me that a 60 "blew up in a kid's face" so they refuse to carry it, citing lawsuit and liability issues. Not interested in ordering one for me either.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I can't see anything online about a lawsuit or injury or anything of the kind. An occasional mention of a handload misfire (on all kinds of rifles), but nothing to suggest an inherent design/quality problem at Marllin. Kind of a weird experience all around. Any info is appreciated.
Old March 17, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
riggins_83

Nothing I've heard about while working at a gun store.

"Blew up in his/her" often isn't the gun... squib in the barrel with another fired, double charge.. etc etc.
Old March 17, 2011, 05:56 AM   #3
kozak6

That it blew up in some kid's face is quite surprising to the point of being doubtful.

The .22 lr is extraordinarily difficult to reload, so that isn't the case.

A Glenfield Model 60 is the same rifle if that helps at all.

Good luck.
Old March 17, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
gyvel

Somehow, I don't think the person you talked to had any idea of what he was talking about and sounds like an overfilled gas bag if you ask me. The only thing I can think of that would even remotely resemble "blowing up in someone's face" is if a cartridge detonated before it was fully seated in the chamber. I've had it happen a couple of times, once with an old Mossberg .22 semi auto and another time with a Walther PP in .22. As best as I can figure, it happens because the priming compound is ultra sensitive and will detonate the round when the extractor hits the rim of the .22 before the round is fully chambered.

Having said that, I think it would be in your best interest to spend a few extra bucks and get yourself a Ruger 10-22. Mine has worked faithfully since 1965.
Old March 17, 2011, 09:52 AM   #5
30-30remchester

I have doubts about the model 60 blowing up in a face. This is a side load and eject gun. His face goes nowhere near where the ejection port is. Sounds like another self educated "expert", without any facts.
Old March 17, 2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Mals9

With over 11 million sold I find it hard to believe there is problem with them, something sounds strange here. I would not hesitate to buy another 60, great shooter at a very good price.

Mals
Old March 17, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Don H

If that dealer restricted himself to only carrying brands or models of firearms that hadn't "blown up in someone's face" sometime or another for whatever reason, his shelves would be bare. There's not a brand/model made for any length of time that hasn't "blown up" at least once. What's his excuse for stocking Remington, Winchester, Browning, Colt, Glock, S&W, etc?
Old March 17, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
nbkky71

A quick GOOGLE search doesn't show anything about a defetive model 60 lawsuit, but it's likely local to your area.

The few Marlin lawsuits that did show up from the search are dated several years ago, and always seem to be related to someone suing the manufacturer for liability when the gun was mis-used.

They probably somehow managed to chamber and fire a .22MAG round into the gun and are now suing for damages.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I'm not saying the Model 60 is an unsafe weapon, but this is a poor argument:
Quote:
With over 11 million sold I find it hard to believe there is problem with them, something sounds strange here.
There were 1.5 million Chevy Corvairs produced. Does that make it a safe car?

There were more than 2 million Ford Pintos built...

Production numbers mean absolutely nothing.
Did you miss the massive "adaptable" child seat and stroller recall last year? More than 13 million were recalled, due to risk (and unfortunate cases) of amputation (hands/fingers).
Old March 17, 2011, 06:22 PM   #10
mpd61

I would NEVER walk back into that store again...
Find a Wal-Mart, Dicks Sporting, Bass-Pro, Cabella's and get that Marlin 60!
Old March 17, 2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Sarge

I'm pretty sure that at one time or another, a firecracker has blown up 'in some kids face' and you can still buy those.

(My eyebrows grew back.)
Old March 17, 2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Mals9

It has been in production since 1960, I would have to believe a defect in the design would have shown up in the last 50 years.

Mals
Old March 17, 2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Buzzcook

I haven't found any reference to a lawsuit regarding the model 60. There was a model that was withdrawn in the 1930s. The only lawsuit I get a hint at was before the model 60 started production.

If you can't find a new one just get a used model 60. They last a long long time.
Old March 18, 2011, 01:16 AM   #14
Wildalaska

Never, ever heard of that

WildanihavebigearstogowithmyegoAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old March 18, 2011, 01:33 AM   #15
JR_

Thanks for the input

I figured as much, but like I said, it was a weird exchange. Not sure what the deal was there. I mentioned it to my local range shop gal (not an "official" Marlin dealer) and she hooked me up with a 60 order immediately, and at a discount. The new axe arrives Monday. Cheers all.
Old March 18, 2011, 01:43 AM   #16
Ignition Override

Mals9:
That would be nice. Mine could be the rare exception.
I bought a very used 60 for $75 which misfed 95% of the rounds. This is no exaggeration, and I wish that it were.
Yes, with Win., Fed., even CCIs.

Then spent $45 at the very seasoned gun smith who could not improve it much. He ordered two new parts.
Now misfeeds each 4-6 rds. I prefer my Savage bolt-action built in the 40s: much easier to load single rds.
Old March 18, 2011, 06:29 AM   #17
Mals9

Ignition that is a rare one that is not reliable. You may have a bad one. It is worth try to check out the Marlin section at Rimfire Central. If it can be fixed that will be the place to get the advice.

Mals
Old March 18, 2011, 06:42 AM   #18
donkee

That dealer probably wanted to sell you a Ruger 10/22 that will cost a couple hundred more to make it as accurate as the Marlin 60.

I have a 10/22, not my favorite, but good for slaying rabbits. The 60 fits so much better.......
Old March 18, 2011, 08:04 AM   #19
Picher

Without benefit of details of the incident, a common design-related "blowup" could have come when a cartridge didn't fully chamber, the disconnector disengaged prematurely, and a person, shooting left-handed, had the case rupture in his face.

Though it's possible, I've never seen a failure to eject cause the next round to be fired by the bolt hitting the rim at an angle.

As far as the gun itself "blowing up", it would probably have to be a tubular magazine chain-reaction, caused by the lifter jamming the first case and somehow firing it while it was still pointing forward toward the other cartridges. Sh-t happens, especially when gunpowder and priming compound are involved.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:58 AM   #20
IrvJr

My local shop has a nice new Marlin 60 (Stainless finish) and a bunch of other Marlin rimfires (Papoose, bolt action, etc.). I was admiring the Model 60 just this week.

Tags
injury , lawsuit , marlin , marlin60 , misfire