The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Jayhawkhuntclub

Super Blackhawk Hunter delivers

Thought I'd share this with my fellow revolver lovers.

Not a giant, but my best with a handgun to date. I gave up rifle hunting for a bow about a decade ago. Phased out of bowhunting when I discovered handgun hunting two years ago.

Details: Yesterday morning about 7:20, 45 Colt, 28 yards, took out both lungs, 25.0 gr of H110 under a 250 gr XTP, he ran 157 yards and piled up.

Last edited by Jayhawkhuntclub; December 3, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2
jmortimer

Love the Super Blackhawk. That is a good set-up you have there. Bow hunting background seems to be a good segue to handgun hunting. A 300 grain WFN at around 1,100 fps would be effective.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Nanuk

Beauty of a gun, nice deer and nice shooting.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
floydster

Great pic, nice shooting, I love my Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley, fine hunting revolver.
Thanks for sharing.

Smokeyloads
Old December 3, 2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Steve in PA

Nice buck! I've been out bear hunting (4 days) and deer hunting (5 days) so far in PA, but the season has really, really stunk!
Old December 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Noreaster

Really nice. Good lookin deer. Thanks for sharing.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
BLUETIP

Nice buck, love those Ruger Blackhawks, great pic
Old December 4, 2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Mystro

Love it. Give the story....How far was the shot, how far did he travel, bullet choice, etc....

Pa. sucks so far this year. No snow, too hot and nobody is hunting. I got one of my deer in archery but have been carrying my 629 6" for a few days only collecting ticks.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 4, 2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
Love it. Give the story....
First off, thanks for all the kind words from everyone and for letting me share my experience. It was last Friday morning. I was setting up on a pile of big round bales; probably about 14' off the ground. The stand was in a pasture about 40 yards from the edge of a wooded area. A little after 7 am, I saw three deer, several hundred yards out, moving towards me. As luck would have it this guy ended up walking 28 yards in front of me. It was too good to pass up. He heard me cock the gun and I knew I had to act fast. I got my shot off with no problem. I dropped the hammer and could see the shot was pretty good (couple of inches high). It took out both lungs, but the bullet didn't expand much. He ran 157 yards across the pasture and into a wooded area. I gave him about 40 minutes and blood trailed him to the edge of the woods with a buddy of mine. He was piled up just a few yards into the woods. That was a pretty good day. I highly recommend the Ruger Hunter series. I also have a Single Six Hunter, which is even more accurate than the big brother. The 45 Hunter will average just under 2" for 5 shot groups at 50 yards; the Single Six Hunter averages a hair over 1.25" for 5 shots at 50 yards. This is obviously scoped and from sandbags. Anyhow, they are great guns.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Jayhawkhuntclub

Steve, Hang in there. It's all those hours of seeing nothing that make the actual harvest so great! I saw 1 deer the first two days. A doe that I had no shot at. You just never know when the next good one is going to show up. Hope things pick up for you.

Mystro, What state are you in? Just curious where the ticks are still active. It's been warm here too. But not that warm.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Steve in PA

I saw a buck on the first Monday, but I could not see it well enough to determine if it was legal, so no shot.

I had a small doe within 10' of me on the first Tuesday, however she was smaller than I felt comfortable in shooting, so she also got a pass.

On the first Thursday I had a slightly bigger doe come bounding down the mountain, however she never presented a shot.

Nothing on Friday or Saturday. Didn't hunt this past Monday or Tuesday due to prior obligations. I will be out this afternoon and then every day, all day through Saturday.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:01 PM   #12
JiminSC

Congratulations on a really nice buck and thanks for the story. I put down the Bow for one Hunt with my S&W 629 classic this season. It was my first time Handgun Hunting and I had a nice eight at fifteen yards but he was just too young. I put my sights on him but kept my finger off the trigger. Maybe next time.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Fleas

Nice one Jayhawk!

My story is almost the same - except my deer was a tad (cough cough) smaller (What can I say? I was getting hungry!). My reward was tenderloins, as usual, but my friend also brined and smoked the backstraps, which is a HUGE payoff. Mmmm mmm.
I am anxious to find the limit of the hunting revolver.

Thanks for the handgun stoke!

-F
Old December 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Jayhawkhuntclub

Fleas: Congratulations on a fine deer! You know those little ones take a better marksman to hit.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Fleas

Thanks - I'm yet to assume the title of "marksman".

Indoor shooting just doesn't do it. I need to shoot more outside and far.

-F
Old December 19, 2012, 03:32 PM   #16
coop2564

Congrats on great buck