The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 28, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Inspector3711

Remington 700 LV SF Trigger Issue

I just picked up a LV SF chambered in .223 from my Dad's about a week ago. He bought it new 3-4 years ago and never fired it. It even came equipped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3X9 40mm scope!

He decided he liked the .22-250 better and hasn't looked back. I scored BIG!

Anyway, after he went to bed one night I picked it up and cycled the bolt (after looking into the chamber to make sure it was clear). I pushed the safety forward and heard the firing pin snap. If there had been a live round in it there would have been a hole in the floor! I cycled the bolt again with safety on. I pushed the safety forward and heard the pin snap again... I pulled the trigger to make sure and found that the trigger acted as if it had been pulled. Indeed the pin had released! I tried it 3-4 more times with the same result. After that it quit happening and hasn't happened since (after 25-30 tries). Dad kind of acted like I was crazy when I told him the next morning, but I'm definitely not.

I've got instructions on how to adjust the trigger and have been told that if I give the sear adjustment screw 1/4 turn counterclockwise it should alleviate the problem. The hitch is that I have read all over the place that the only thing a regular guy should ever adjust on a Remington 700 trigger is the pull weight and it should never be adjusted below 3 lbs. I'm also in a financial situation where I can't afford to just go to a gunsmith or to ship the rifle anywhere. Should I make the sear adjustment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Some day I may put a different trigger on it but for now I can't afford to.
Old March 29, 2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Alleykat

You can read all sorts of crap on the internet. Just be informed that, prior to ours becoming such a litigious society, Remmy included trigger adjusting instructions with their 700s. What you need to do is turn the engagement (rear) screw out at least a 1/4 turn. Might take a little more. Also, if the trigger pull weight is a little too light, you'll experience the same problem.

Believe me, this ain't rocket science, and you don't need the services of a gunsmith to adjust a Remington 700 trigger.
Old March 29, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Inspector3711

Well I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I've adjusted triggers before just not on a Remington. The pull will be set at 3lbs. I'm not looking for a hair trigger as I intend to hike with this rifle and I've read it's best to keep these factory triggers at 3 or above anyway. I'll give it a try later today. I'll make sure I test it afterwards. Thanks.
Old March 29, 2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Rem. trigger

Sir:
Like alletcat said, a rem. trigger isn't hard tp adjust - it might have just been brown crud on that trigger assy, or as he says, too light a sear engagement - you can see what engagement you have on the left side of the trigger group, but I think it could be crud, or as ALLEYCAT says adjustment.
harry B.
Old March 29, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Inspector3711

Thanks for the concern and support. I followed instructions from a gunsmithing site. First I flushed the trigger group with brake cleaner and found some shavings. Then I soaked it with Ronson and cycled it a few times. After that I followed the calibration instructions. When I backed out the sear engagement screw I counted two full turns before it was flush with the housing. It was so deep I had trouble getting a screwdriver in deep enough to bite. Out to the grinder to touch up the screwdriver I went. By the time it was calibrated and functioning correctly, the screw was only about 1/2 turn deep in the housing. It would seem to me that perhaps the shavings gave someone the wrong indication that they had calibrated it correctly. I locked all the screws with nail polish and let it dry while I cleaned the bore for the first time. Plenty of shavings there too. Assembled the action to the stock and torqued the screws. I slammed the bolt 12 times, no pin drop. I drop tested it next, all was good. I'll still play it safe (I always treat them like they could discharge anyway)for the first several hundred rounds.