The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
bch044

Did I do Ok??

Hello all,

I had the post asking Glock 19 vs. 34.

We had our annual Swap Meet/Flea Market the next town over from where I live with about 700 vendors that trade anything from guns to dogs to your kitchen sink.

I am looking at getting into some competitive shooting and CCW in the near future and this is what I purchased at the Swap Meet:

Springfield XDM 9mm complete set with 3 magazines and all the goodies they come with for $500.00. Owner said it's never been shot.

Smith & Wesson 22a-1 with 2 magazines for $250.00. Owner also stated it's never been shot.

Both are in original cases with all the paperwork.

I was also given a Norinco/Tokarev 213 9mm by my dad. I realize this isn't a very competitive gun but will it get me started?

I feel I have made some decent purchases and feel I am ready to start shooting.

What's your opinions?

Thanks
Steve
Old September 3, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
10-96

Sounds like you did pretty well indeed. However, only time and your personal shooting experience and learned & studied skills will tell you what steps to take next. I'd venture a guess and say that not many folks at all keep shooting the same rigs they started out with 3-5 years down the road. The reason I say this is because as your experience grows, new things will come out, you'll be offered to try someone else's setup, you'll experiment with different techniques, etc- and things will run their own natural course.

Take what you have, learn it, get comfortable with it, and shoot the dickens out of it. And don't second guess your equipment until you're 100% sure any problems are not coming from you instead the equipment. And most importantly of all- keep it fun and enjoyable, cause once that goes- nothing will seem right.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Quote:
I was also given a Norinco/Tokarev 213 9mm by my dad. I realize this isn't a very competitive gun but will it get me started?
It will get you started in the sense that you can aim, fire, and hit a target.
It is not much suitable for any competition I know. You have the XDm which is a fine IDPA ESP or USPSA Production gun.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4
rgrundy

Buy another mag pouch and two more magazines and you're ready to go. You did very well.