The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 1999, 01:05 PM   #1
headroom

has anybody had any experience with any of these knives? they don't look too bad but the price seems kind of cheap.
Old August 25, 1999, 09:33 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I picked up the new M16-12 about a month and a half ago. Very lightweight. It probably only weighs about 2/3 what my Cold Steel did that I was carrying. My only complaint is that a couple of rust spots appeared, was able to rub them out though.
Old August 25, 1999, 10:21 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The problem with these knives is the AUS 6 steel that CRKT likes so much... The steel can take a wicked edge - but cant hold it for very long. AUS 8 is much better.
If you like the idea of a good knife that is cheap - check out GIGAND knives. You will be amazed. The TOP of the Gigand line is only 60 bucks while most are between 30 and 35 for the folders. Even less for the fixed. I have liked every Gigand I have seen.

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac
Old August 26, 1999, 10:34 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Does Gigand have a website?
Old August 26, 1999, 07:04 PM   #5
Reloader

I have one of their KISS knives.....Couldn't ge it to take a new edge; called AG Russell(excellent outfit)whre I bought the knife. They stated it has to be done with a ceramic
sharpener and could take sevral hours to restore the edge....I have been sharpeneing knives for over 30 years and this is the first I could not restore an edge. I set it on the shelf. why use a knife that you willl have to send back to have it sharpened? I am diappointed in the edge holding ability.
Old August 26, 1999, 09:10 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

No, Gigand site per sey - but ABC has a good page: http://www.abc-direct.com/gigand/
The Spectrums are great little knives and my wife and sister in law has'm... Check out the Titan!

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Old August 27, 1999, 12:21 PM   #7
whitebear

The the blades on the M-16 series from CRKT are made from AUS-8, not AUS-6, and hardened to 57-58 HRC. AUS-8 is roughly equivalent to 440C; it's a MUCH better knife steel than AUS-6.

The fit and finish on the M-16 series is exceptional for the price.

No, I am not a CRKT salesman, nor do I play one on TV...

Don't ignore the Gigand line, though. A lot of knife for the money, but much flashier than the M-16 line.

------------------
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

[This message has been edited by whitebear (edited August 27, 1999).]
Old August 27, 1999, 02:51 PM   #8
dZ

i have a CRKT KISS too

the design is cool but
for a right handed person the chisel edge is down when your palm is down

kinda hard to do much when you can't see the edge...

dZ
Old August 27, 1999, 05:54 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Whitebear - Your right... The M-16 series is made of AUS-8, and it has a good heat treat too... The M-16's by Kit Carson are sweet knives - almost too good for CRKT. The other knives they sell are a little over priced for what they really are.

------------------

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Old August 29, 1999, 05:48 AM   #10
Hal

Check out www.bladeforums.com for more detailed info. If you ask your question there, you will get a lot of response. CRKT knives are decent, but there are a lot of better options. One reason I like their folders as opposed to say Spyderco, is the use of screws instead of pins in the handle. Sometimes you do have to disassemble a knife to clean out all the crud and/or rust. I own 3 CRKT's, a small Mirage and 2 Stiff Kiss's. IMHO, CRKT falls in between Smith and Wesson and Spyderco or Benchmade as far as Quality. The price vs BM or Spyderco is relative, but for the same money as Smith and Wesson's junk, you get more knife. Buck knives are also offering some pretty decent stuff in their newer models.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net
Old August 29, 1999, 06:13 AM   #11
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Just saw this thread. I just picked up a PECK at a gunshow last weekend. I checked out CRKT's line at the last SHOT Show and just fell in love with the KISS & PECK.

The PECK is perfect for carry at work. I need a knive at work with a thin point to pick yarn and to cut numerous things. I always get strange looks when I pulled out my Benchmade Auto Spike for these purposes . My boss' standard responce to these looks from customers is "Schmits our crazy Marine. He can also shoot you from 500 yards and more."

I'm unhappy to hear that CRKT's blades are hard (impossible?) to sharpen as I like my blades to be able to shave arm hair. With the Benchmade a few swipes on the "sticks" returns the edge to this level.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"