The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2009, 11:16 PM   #26
Hawg

I take heart and lung shots with a 30-06. They almost never go anywhere. When they do it's not far, usually 50 ft. or less. If you ever see a deer with his jaw shot off you'll give up head shots. It's an ugly, long dying.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:59 PM   #27
armedtotheteeth

Thats why you shoot them from behind, they dont see no stinkin muzzle flash. No Jaw to blow off either. It takes a little patience, But , just wait until they look over to the side or behind them.
Old January 4, 2009, 02:29 PM   #28
Daryl

I'm not so stuck on one shot that it's all I'll take.

If an animal is broadside, I'll take a heart/lung shot; pretty much every time. If I'm offered a head on shot, or a tail end shot, I'll take a neck shot.

You just have to know the vital areas, and take what's offered. A nice heart/lund shot behind the shoulder with a well constructed bullet ruins very little meat. Just make it a point to miss the shoulder blade, which is certainly no more tricky than waiting for a head shot.

Daryl
Old January 4, 2009, 04:05 PM   #29
HOGGHEAD

Shots

A good hunter will consider the situation he is in. And then he will shoot accordingly. I have seen times when a head shot was the only reasonable killing shot. However I will admit that I do not like taking head shots.

IMO if you want the most reliable "drop them in their tracks" shot. Then you should shoot 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the front shoulder. You have the largest margin of error with this shot. And the high shoulder shot will definitely drop them dead on the spot.

You may have a little meat loss. However someone said earlier that the front shoulders have 15 pounds of meat in them. I have never shot a deer with that much meat on the front shoulders, and a large deer here in WV runs about 125-150#. You are lucky if you get 5# of meat from the front shoulders on a 125# deer. Tom.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:39 PM   #30
Hawg

Hogghead they must be weighing the bones too. I don't usually go through the shoulder but it will most definitely take out the lungs. I rarely use shoulder meat myself. More trouble than it's worth. I usually give the front shoulders and ribs away to someone that wouldn't have any deer meat otherwise.
Old January 4, 2009, 10:15 PM   #31
MeekAndMild

deermaster, rereading the thread, don't let us rifle hunters throw you off. Even though I hunt 90% of the time with a rifle I've hunted with a shotgun enough to know that your method is a good one. If you can hit a dove or a quail at 25 yards you can hit a deer head. And it sounds like you've proven your technique with experience.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 4, 2009, 10:54 PM   #32
publius

Nothing at all wrong with head shots if you are shooting at a calm animal and know it won't move at the moment of truth. I used head shots for does for years but switched to a very high neck shot for does and cull bucks. Same lethal results with a little bigger target area and doesn't ruin the antlers on the bucks.
Old January 6, 2009, 07:51 AM   #33
jaymag

swampghost

I do like to eat the heart and the inners.Im just saying deer can be very tough to bring down,even when good shots are made.Im outside to down my game.Not take chances on making a perfect brain shot.I'll it takes is one branch to throw a bullet or a arrow off.But you do what you want.It's just my 2 cents.
Old January 6, 2009, 07:28 PM   #34
jamaica

Head shots? Yes, of course. That is my favorite shot on deer, in fact, I insist on it. Why spoil the meat? Why chase a wounded deer? A bullet in the brain drops the animal like a wet dishcloth.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:48 PM   #35
armedtotheteeth

indeed.. wet dishcloth. Very good analogy. There is almost always some flopping and twitching going on. I have even had deer run in circles for a minute like "Curly" from the " Three Stooges"
Meat loss sucks.
Losing a wounded animal sucks even more
Tracking deer in this part of the world aint easy. Every damn plant here is genetically designed to KILL YOU! I have a special hatred for the dreaded "Waitaminute!" bush. It will stop you in your tracks.
Cactus, mesquites, yucca, waitaminute, rocks and rattlesnakes make tracking deer damned near impossible
Old January 13, 2009, 12:15 PM   #36
L_Killkenny

When using a "rifle", I find head shots on game to be irresponsible most of the time. Rabbits, squirrel and treed game being the exceptions. The brain on critters is very small compared to the size of the head and wounding shots are very likely. The worst example of this is when people recommend head shots on coyotes with a rimfire. Nothing worse than leaving a critter with a lower jaw blown off or a bad wound on the head/neck that will cause a very slow and painful death. A head/neck wound is far worse than "gut shots".

But in your case when using a shotgun with buck shot, I think a head/neck shot makes a lot of sense. You patterned your gun and know it's capabilities. Don't be tempted by shots that are beyond the distances you are speaking of and you should do fine.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:33 PM   #37
texfar

Guess I outa get one point straight. I shoot head neck shots on 98% of the an animals I shoot, but as above posts, point out the different aspect of the shot. I wait for the right shot period. In my hunting days from 2000 I was pretty much retired and just plain waited for my shot. That is the latitude I had and still have. I was hunting every single day of the season and could AFFORD, my shot. That is not the same for the guy that only gets to hunt 4 days out of the entire season.
Ken
Old January 17, 2009, 03:19 AM   #38
Para Bellum

Neck

What about the neck? Bigger critical area. Drops it instantly. For me it sounds strange to use a shotgun on deeer, but that's maybe my european attitude. We use rifles against deer.
Old January 17, 2009, 09:41 AM   #39
DiscoRacing

i shoot for the head if possible... why i use 150 grain full metal jackets.... small hole....instant drop... guaranteed... nice deal in my book.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:30 AM   #40
Jimbow1965

Take the shot.....if you don't want pictures.....or antlers....and you can MAKE the shot.
Saves meat too.
Old January 17, 2009, 02:56 PM   #41
jaymag

Heads shots stupid !!

Know need?You will here me laughing when you pull a shot one inch over it's head with your dream buck standing there?Waiting 8 hours a day,All week.It would be a little differant with a 10-15 yrd shot with a shotgun or scoped rifle.Where I hunt in hardwoods and thick cedar groves with lots of branches,it's just not worth it.The lungs work just fine!
Old January 17, 2009, 07:43 PM   #42
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, now, jaymag, one inch over its head means you're off target by some four inches, roughly. Being off that far can cause trouble no matter what part of a deer you're intending to hit.
Old January 17, 2009, 08:41 PM   #43
tblt44

If your a good shot and the deer is not moving not a problem
Old January 17, 2009, 10:40 PM   #44
armedtotheteeth

I would not like to track a lung shot deer in thick cover. Killing it and losing it is way way way worse than missing it. If you miss you can just tell your buddies something like you dropped your gun. I dont have to track the deer I shoot.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:23 PM   #45
kmrcstintn

Quote:
head shots? is there anything wrong with them?
yep...even when a deer's feet ain't moving their heads bop up-n-down and side-to-side; very damned hard to make a deer stand absolutely still (especially their head) to get a clean and lethal shot; too small a target with too much movement

addendum...

for example... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329444

the pictures of the deer in this thread are a good example of WHY a head shot is not the best idea; seems that a different hunter FUBAR'ed a head shot and the deer got away before the hunter with enough sense to take a clean and lethal shot put it down;

Last edited by kmrcstintn; January 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 07:21 PM   #46
T-Ray

if you don't care about the head (if its a buck) or carnage, they're pretty handy. Most people prefer heart, lung, shoulder shots, especially if it's long range b/c it's a much bigger and a lot more stationary target

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old January 22, 2009, 09:35 PM   #47
PaddyWhacked

Aside from ruining trophy bucks there's one problem I have with head shots (aside from the issue of constantly bobbing heads and long distance rifle shots). If you tan your own hides, brains are important. Liquefying said brains means a trip to the butcher shop to buy a bucket of them. What gets me is all these people suggesting neck shots for the sake of not wasting meat. Neck meat is just as edible as shoulder meat. The nine pointer I brought home this year had about five pounds of meat on the neck. That's about three pounds of jerky num nums. You all have some small deer up in MA. The aforementioned buck weighed in at about 220lbs gutted. I ended up bringing home about 90lbs of meat (including heart and liver... big ol' heart on that monster too), and I lost some due to not being able to get it all stored and cut in time.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:02 AM   #48
Todd1700

Quote:
yep...even when a deer's feet ain't moving their heads bop up-n-down and side-to-side; very damned hard to make a deer stand absolutely still (especially their head) to get a clean and lethal shot; too small a target with too much movement
I agree. Never liked head shots. Heart lung area is a lot bigger target, 100% lethal and being a part of the deers torso tends to stay still for much longer periods than a deers head. The "wastes no meat argument" is a wash for taking head shots as well. A bullet through the lungs damages nothing but ribs, lungs and maybe heart. I don't know of anyone who eats those parts of a whitetail. If they do then they are some seriously hungry SOB's.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:53 AM   #49
PaddyWhacked

Heart is awesome. Don't knock it 'till you try it.
Old January 24, 2009, 09:37 AM   #50
KEN K

Yea I like the heart meat too. You can't limit yourself to any one shot, I see nothing wrong with a head shot as long as it's within your comfort rang. I personally like the high neck or high shoulder to drop them in their tracks and if you hunt on a small plot you need to get them down as soon as possible. A man has got to know his limitations ( Clint Eastwood) anything over 150 yds. and I go for the high shoulder or heart long area. Any time you totally disrupt the central nerves of an animal it is dead on it's feet. It's better to loase a little meat than the whole deer so pick your shot according to the moment.