The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
lockedcj7

Berdan primed brass

I discovered yesterday that Berdan-primed brass and decapping pins are a bad mix.

I was resizing/de-capping 30-06 brass and didn't realize there was some 8x57 Berdan-primed brass mixed in. I thought it was taking more force than usual and when I pulled the ram back down, the de-capping pin was bent in a perfect "L". The stupid thing is that I knew the brass was different and I kept going anyway.

Note to self - verify correct caliber before sizing!
Old February 22, 2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Windwalker

Been there done that many times, they seem to slip in with the regular brass despite my best intentions. Not as often as they used too, but they do.

Berdan should be pronounced "Bur-Damn" The only thing you can do is be more vigilant and before long you'll recognize "Berdan" w/o looking into the case.

WW
Old February 22, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's why I love Lee reloading dies. You hit a berdan primed case and the stem pops up. I've never lost a decapping pin yet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 22, 2007, 10:48 PM   #4
happy7

Plus Lee dies are so easy to ajust, especially seating and crimp dies. Of course they are also priced right.
Old February 22, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Windwalker

Yes, I'll agree the Lee dies are the thing to have. I should have mentioned them earlier. If I have to replace my current dies that's the direction I'm headed. I don't have much of a problem with the berdan, but it does happen once in a while. If I wasn't so tight with a nickel I'd replace my FL/decap dies with Lee's but mine are working fine for now.
Old February 23, 2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Rico567

Yep- the Lee decapping system is the best, when you run into a Berdan case. But long before my first set of Lee dies, I used Lyman and RCBS, and I learned to keep a spare stem and a pack of decapping pins in my spare parts. It's all part of life's rich pageant when you're a reloader....

- Mark Twain
Old February 23, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
cheygriz

Since some of the world's finest ammo has been loaded in Berdan cases, it's a damn shame there isn't a quick easy way to salvage that brass and reload them.

Years ago, someone made a berdan decapping tool thast used a boxer primer in a jig that was inserted into the case mouth, and pushed down until it hit the web. The force of the new primer knocked out the berdan primer and you were ready to reload. Unfortunately, it never caught on commercially.

If the guy that invented that contraption is reading this forum, perhaps it's time to bring it back. I'll buy the first one off the line!