The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Tex S

OCW Load Development

Anybody ever try this? I just loaded up 40 270Win cases using this method. I will be testing them for accuracy on Sat. or Sun.

Has this method worked (or not worked) for you? How effective were the results?
Old January 12, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
rn22723

This is a great way to work up loads, and then take time to digest the results.
Then go into production.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Shoney

The OCW is a variation of the Ladder Method. I have not had good results in some cartridges and with certain brands of bullets.

Newberry claims you must load at 0.020 off the lands. I have trouble with that becasue the cardtridges will not fit the magazines. If I am looking for a bench rest load, yes, 0.020 off the lands isfine becasue I single load.

Since the majrity of the load development I do is for hunting, my first priority is to either load to the magazine length or lengthen the magazxine. I have had some problems with cartridges not feeding well in modified magazines.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 12, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I'm gonna try this method too

I am with ya....I have my .243s loaded up and waiting for the weather to cooperate. I will post my results with pics of various targets.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 12, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Tex S

Quote:
Newberry claims you must load at 0.020 off the lands. I have trouble with that becasue the cardtridges will not fit the magazines.
Shoney, I know what you mean.

Fortunately, my bullet selection is the 130gr. Barnes Tipped TSX. I have never loaded them before, but Barnes and a few other fellas have had luck seating these bullets .050" off the lands. When seating that deep, the magazine in my A-bolt is plenty long enough.

We will see how it goes this weekend... pending the north wind is not acting up!!!
Old January 13, 2009, 12:22 AM   #6
DBotkin

Quote:
Newberry claims you must load at 0.020 off the lands. I have trouble with that becasue the cardtridges will not fit the magazines.
I believe you may have mis-read what he wrote:

Quote:
The seating depth for all test loads should of course be the same. I normally seat the bullet a caliber's depth into the case, or to magazine length--whichever is shorter. I don't believe loading to approach the lands is necessary, or even desirable in most situations. So long as the bullets are seated straight, with as little runout as possible, the advantages of loading close to the lands are largely over-stated. This said, be certain that the seating depth you choose does not cram the bullet into the lands. Stay at least .020" or so off the lands for these excercises.
He's saying to stay at least .020 off the lands, seating to mag length is fine.

It's an interesting method. I just finished loading a bunch of test rounds for my AR that I planned to use to test using my old method... dump lots of ammo downrange until you find a load that groups really well. Fortunately, that batch of rounds will let me do the OCW test a couple of times, with no shortage of fouling rounds. Should be interesting.

I also read up on the ladder test method. That's interesting too, though I would think you'd need to do that a number of times to make sure your results were not being skewed by flyers and such.

Lemme see. I have 10 rounds of each load. I'll do the OCW method twice (six rounds of each, total) and the ladder test three times (three more rounds of each, total). That leaves me one round of each charge weight for fouling shots. Should be interesting to see if the results of the two tests indicate the same thing or not. Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to break. I don't think 10 degrees with a 30 MPH gusting wind and blowing snow would be a good day for load development.