The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2005, 09:35 AM   #1
zeisloft

Considering converting to K Hornet

As the title says, I'm considering converting a Ruger 22/77 from .22 Hornet to K Hornet. Anyone made the switch? K Hornet shooters feel free to chime in.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 12, 2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Blowtorch53

I used to be crazy about Hornets. I found a nice Winchester Model 43 an topped it with a Burris 6x and off I went. Sure enough it had been rechambered to a K Model. Saw a cheap Savage 340 at a gun show and picked it up. Guess what...K-Hornet too. Finally got a regular Hornet in a NEF single shot just for grins.

I have loaded both variations extensively and and never got the accuracy I expected from either of them. You get a little more velocity with the K but it does not put it in the bigger .22 centerfire class and I guess it's not supposed to be. I have always heard how finicky they are and I couldn't make either version soot very well. They are fun little calibers. Cheap and fairly quiet and just a fun gun.

"Money talks...BS walks."
Old December 12, 2005, 05:59 PM   #3
zeisloft

Thanks for the input, I have no intention of trying to make it compete with the bigger .22s, I have the .222 slot filled as well as the .22-250. I just enjoy the light report, short (<200yds) varmit gun and was curious what I may expect going the K route. Thanks
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 14, 2005, 12:33 AM   #4
somerled

The K-Hornet cases may last longer for you over time. The standard .22 Hornet case stretches more than a typical case headspacing on a substantial shoulder. Of course, a lot depends on how well the chambers are cut, how one adjusts dies and some other factors.