The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
p5200

Trouble removing Burris scope bases need advice please!

I would like to remove the 2 piece base set from my Marlin MR-7 and put a one piece base like a picatinny so I can mount my scope a little closer to my eye as I have to stretch my neck now when shooting from a bench. The problem is, the bases and rings both have torx head screws and so far, I have partially stripped one of the ring screws trying to torque to 25"lbs. and also one of the base screws. The base screws don't want to budge and I'm afraid I'll either strip the heads all out or maybe even break a screw off in the receiver . The rifle is a Marlin MR-7 30-06 made in 1996 so I suspect, the base screws may have been in for years. Any advice on removing them would be greatly appreciated. I don't have Kroil to soak them with but do have BreakFree CLP or, would I be better to have a smith remove them? I just want to use a picatinny base and Burris sig. Zee rings so I can mount my scope further toward the rear closer to my eye. I think this is the bases that are on here now http://www.midwayusa.com/product/627...ester-70-matte. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 4x16x42 with SF Thanks!
Old July 31, 2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

P5200:

Have a gun smith remove them. He will most likely have to drill them and use an easy out.

Semper Fi.

Gunney Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughed
USMC Retired
Old July 31, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Roughedge

most likely they have lock tite on them. Use a easy-out before you mess it up to where you have to drill them out. Any local gunsmith will get them out for a small charge. Did you try to put a little heat on it ? It will loosen the lock-tite.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
p5200

I think I will try a soldering gun to heat the screws and if that doesn't work, I'll drill the screw heads so I can just lift the bases off. Then I'll try more heat closer to the receiver and gently, try with a pair of vice grips grabbing as close as I can to the receiver. I live in a small town and the closest smith is about 30 miles away otherwise I would just take it to him first But, I will take that drive before breaking off a screw inside the receiver . Thanks folks!
Old August 1, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
g.willikers

Just about any gun solvent will probably melt the locktite.
Even the red stuff.