The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 14, 2006, 01:30 AM   #1
gvf

Percentage of CCWs involved in "Incidents"?

Anyone know of any stats nationally on the percentage of those having CCWs who are officially part of police "incident" reports that involve weapons. The incident could be anything from a shooting to a weapon displayed, to a warning from the CCW that he had a weapon.(As well, the incident should have occurred.)

I believe this would be quite small, but don't really know that.

Thanks.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:46 AM   #2
teejhot.40cal

I don't know what it is but you would probably be surprised at how big the number is in shall issue states.
Old December 14, 2006, 04:50 AM   #3
gvf

Addition:

I probably should be clear: I don't mean cases where the CCW is at fault, or conversely where he is found justified, it's just whether a CCW used his weapon or the threat of it.
Old December 14, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
dawg23

Louisiana State Police annual report (2005-2006) to the State legislature lists one incident involving the use of a handgun by a Concealed handgun permit holder.
Old December 14, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Duxman

This might help put some perspective in the situation:

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/framedex.html

Gun Defense Clock. Some nice statistics in there.

There is also an FBI report that details violent crime:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict_v.htm

Good luck on your research.
Old December 14, 2006, 01:07 PM   #6
CDH

I claim no specific knowledge but that of common sense.

"It seems to me" ( ) that the incidence would be much LOWER than you might expect.
People who carry are generally more aware of their surroundings in the first place and therefore avoid defensive situations more than others less "aware", plus, it's well known that there are a large number of instances where a defensive pistol is drawn and the BG takes off running with no shots fired (and therefore no police report to be made for the most part that would even add to the statistics).

Just thinkin' out loud.

Carter
Old December 15, 2006, 02:33 AM   #7
gvf

Thanks

Thanks, these replies and the info they contain are helpful. It's just my own curiosity really, being a newbie.

My sense - as was also mentioned by others - is that if anyone will be able to avoid being mugged etc., it will likely be CCWs. Just from the posts on this and other forums, they seem extremely knowledgeable and aware.

Best
Old December 15, 2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Its about the same percentage as bad cops

WildtoucheAlaska
Old December 15, 2006, 04:59 PM   #9
Mannlicher

I would think the percentage of CCW permit holders being involved in an armed altercation would be small. Bad things happen to all sorts of folks, and the the percentage of those holding a CCW in any given state is small, in comparison to the total population.
Also bear in mind, that many, if not most of attacks happen in your home, or while you are in your car. In most places, even without a CCW, you can be armed in your house or car.
So far as CCW permit holders being smarter or more aware, remember that most never carry their gun at all. I know you did not get that opinion from reading gun forums. Not much smarts here.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 16, 2006, 08:51 AM   #10
locknid

Here in AZ it seems that the people involved in situations which involves guns have them illegally and are in a situation with another person which has an illegal gun, or illegally concealed weapons. Most people that have CCW's here in AZ can't have any felonies, domestic violence charges, plus others so they do not readily involve themselves in situations or areas where attacks might happen. Also after going through the ccw course you are more aware of the laws concerning self-defense and know that you just can't pull out a gun anytime you want like criminals usually do. I can say though that I don't care how many actually happens, or if I carry my CCW for 40 years because as soon as the one incident happens I will be glad I have it.