The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2014, 03:29 AM   #26
mellow_c

Still no .22's

I'll say this in jtyson's defense. These days with the internet and how we build up ideas in our minds based on what we read and what we want, it's not so hard to buy something and then say. "mission complete". It might actually be more difficult to get out and shoot a gun than it is to buy one. That point can even be more applicable depending on where you live
Old July 20, 2014, 07:55 AM   #27
bedbugbilly

I had a 357 LCR - it was a decent handgun and I like Rugers but I traded it in on a Smith Model 36 snub to CCW as I like the size and feel of the 36. (Maybe it's because I'm past 60 and am old fashioned in my tastes? )

That said, I've been thinking about a Shield 9mm. I have read a lot of good things about them and size wise, I think it would be a nice CCW to switch of to once in a while.

If you haven't shot your Shield - I really think you should. If you were to get rid of it - later on you not only with be rethinking it but also regretting that you never shot it to see if you really liked it or not. Kind of like buying a nice car, putting it in your garage for six months and never driving it - then selling it. Your Shield will be considered "used" if you get rid of it and you'll probably take a loss on it. You might as well shoot it and see if you like it - then decide.

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 20, 2014, 09:34 AM   #28
Captains1911

I still don't understand how anybody could determine they do not like a gun they own and therefore sell it, before ever shooting it
Old July 20, 2014, 09:36 AM   #29
boltomatic

Don't sell it, those guns are current production and popular so they have bad resale value, think of it as an investment: you are going to want a similar gun sometime in the future and if you sell it at a loss now and buy it again later, you will have wasted a lot of money.
Old July 20, 2014, 04:47 PM   #30
jtyson

For those who didn't read through the whole thread, I didn't sell the shield. I traded it off for a 686. But I missed it, so I bought another one this past week. I sold my LCR off because I was broke and my dog had to go to the vet.

I hadn't shot it because I'm cheap, have a lot of hobbies, and ammo is still hard to find here in NM. You have to wait in line for hours on shipment day at Sportsman's and you are only allowed one box of each caliber. You can get ammo on the private market here, but 22lr still commands $50 for 500 rds. 9mm isn't bad, but still around $.75 a round for wwb.

I didn't decide that I didn't like the shield so much with the first, it was more that I wanted a wheel gun. I've always loved revolvers. But frankly, carrying my 686 is too much most of the time. I'm a big dude, but it is a heavy and huge gun to tuck away. I bought another shield because I like how it feels in my hand. I like how slim it is. I intend to take it shooting some time this summer, but I'm in no hurry. I just happened to have an extra $400 in my pocket while I was driving by Sportsman's so I picked one up.
Old July 20, 2014, 04:58 PM   #31
jeager106

U dun a great trade. I have a 4" 686 & a 6" 586 & 13 other Smith revolvers.
I ain't sellin' nuttin no more ever.
When I was a young copper I had to sell many of my guns & regret all of them.
Now I just buy 'em.
Old July 20, 2014, 05:16 PM   #32
Uncle Malice

I would have suggested keeping the Shield, but that 686 is easily a $700 gun... I don't know what was going on with the person who made the trade with you... but you win for sure.

Good score.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:32 PM   #33
jtyson

When I made the trade about a year ago, it was still nearly impossible to get your hands on a 9mm shield. You could find one in 40 here or there, but the 9mm version was like gold. Dollar for dollar I know I came out on top with the 686. But I'm definitely glad that I bought another shield.
Old July 21, 2014, 05:26 AM   #34
mellow_c

Sometimes...

Dreams do come true

Enjoy
Old July 22, 2014, 02:51 AM   #35
JimmyR

I think you made the right trade. Sometimes, you make a trade because you know you can always get another of what you have. I would have made that deal in a heartbeat, and never looked back.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, and I am glad you got your Shield again.

Eventually, you find the guns that fit you best. My CZ 75 is still one of my go to guns, and the Makarov spends a lot of time in the safe. The Tomcat went away. I've them with plenty of other options (including a S&W 65 3" that has become a car/carry gun).
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 22, 2014, 11:40 AM   #36
highpower3006

I bought my 9mm Shield to use as a carry gun, and that is exactly what I use it for. It is light, which is what you want in a EDC gun, it shoots great with fast second shot target acquisition and it was inexpensive. The latter is in case, God forbid, I do have to use it, I won't be out a high dollar gun while the police have it in evidence.

I have a number of guns that I could use for CCW, but it seems that the Shield is the one I always grab. I find that while it may be chic to carry a steel .45, they get real heavy after a while. I frequently forget that the shield is even there even when sitting. While they aren't target guns, mine is more than accurate enough at short range.

You really need to go out and shoot the darned thing.
Old July 22, 2014, 11:41 PM   #37
jtyson

I agree. I need to take all my guns out actually. I haven't been shooting in almost a year. I have a Savage 7mm mag that has yet to see a bullet and has been tucked away for going on 3 years now.

On another bright note, I replaced my 22lr long gun today. I had a Rem 597 that I actually really enjoyed, but sold in a time of need. Picked up an M&P 15-22 today. This I don't think I'll shoot much. I only have about 500rds of 22lr and have no idea when I'll be able to get more at a reasonable price.
Old July 23, 2014, 05:03 AM   #38
sigpro2340

If you can get for it what you paid ..... then buy all means, sell it.
Old July 23, 2014, 07:17 PM   #39
Terry A

Kyle Lamb (retired Delta) uses the Shield as his everyday carry gun. That's a heck of an endorsement.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 23, 2014, 07:22 PM   #40
jimbob86

I too wanted a Shield ....... finally shot one (two, actually: one in .40 and one in 9) ..... no longer want.

The trigger was, to me (1911 guy) atrocious.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:10 AM   #41
Rogervzv

I selected my Shield 9mm as my primary carry gun. It is just a deadly-accurate, very reliable, and very mannerly gun. It is small enough to carry, but enough "gun" to be a range gun. The recoil for a gun that size is wonderful -- I can get back on target between shots very quickly due to the very benign recoil. I will always want to own a Shield 9. I prefer it to my Sig-Sauer P238 (.380 cal.) which cost almost twice as much scratch. (The Sig is one of my alternate carry guns.)
Old August 12, 2014, 03:06 PM   #42
Dewy

Selling and trading Guns

I had the Shield 9 and wanted the 40 so I could shoot the 9 and carry the 40, now i want to shoot the 40 and carry the 40 and the 9 stays in the blue box. So many guns, so many decisions, and so little time.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:15 PM   #43
1hogfan83

I found a good deal on a berretta nano about a year ago, $375. I shot it a couple of times and now have come to despise it. I still have it but never shoot it. I carry my HK P2000SK but haven't brought myself to carry the CZ P-01. After coming back from Cajun Gun Works the trigger is just too touchy. Double action is fine but a 3 pound DA is a little light for my taste. I'm still getting use to it. After seeing some reviews of the shield I wanted one. I finally held one at Cabelas. Very nice gun but with a thicker grip its basically the Compact. I would spend the extra $70 plus or minus and get the compact.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old August 13, 2014, 09:13 AM   #44
SIMP

I think you made a sweet trade. You traded a $360-$400 gun for a near $700 gun.

I have been trading and selling guns like a mad man lately. It was always the "next big thing" for me. Suddenly it hit me.....I need to stop trading, stop selling and start enjoying the guns I owned. Unless I just have to have quick cash in an emergency, I'm done selling. I have a pistol for just about every occasion and size range. I am going to focus on ammo and shooting now.

I won't lie, it became very addictive. The "I got a new gun coming" high was very exciting. But in then end, it only ended up costing me. I'm done.
Old August 14, 2014, 04:17 PM   #45
Shadi Khalil

Shields are a dime a dozen. I think you did real well. Congrats
Old August 14, 2014, 04:22 PM   #46
gyvel

Quote:
Our shelves are pretty much empty of everything except 500 mag and 458 win mag.
The good thing about both of those calibres is that you won't want to shoot them very often.
SIFE