The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 1, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Sportdog

Scent Lock Clothing

For those of you that wear scent lock clothing I would like your recomendations. I have some made by "Abscent" and never got the feeling judging by the reaction of the deer that it was working. Maybe I just stink too much for the stuff to work. I'm going on this bear hunt in the fall and the outfitter stressed that the nose on a bear in way better than a deer and I should be dressed with rubber boots and 100% scent lock clothing. What brands and types have worked for you and where did you buy them? I did a search and found almost nothing on this topic. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Sportdog; July 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old July 5, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
CamoCop

imo, scent lok clothing is a waste of money. hunt high and use the wind to your advantage. do a google search on scent lok. they are being sued for false advertisement.
Old July 7, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
davlandrum

Sportdog - did you let it air out good before you used it? While it may (or may not) keep your scent in, if the outside of it smells, it is a waste of time. The few sets I have stunk like plastic and warehouses out of the box. I hung them in the barn a few days to let that die out, then sprayed with a scent neutralizer, let it hang and dry. finally packed it in a plastic tub with some dirt and fir branches in the bottom.

I don't think it hurts, but it isn't magic either. Takes as much, or more, work to keep it up than regular hunting clothes.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 7, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4
chubbmann

I had scent locked clothing until I washed the funk out. I am sure animals can tell the difference between crusty drawers and real thing too... Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. What ever happened to long sites and staying down wind?
Old July 7, 2008, 01:28 PM   #5
CamoCop

the thing with these scent lok/blocker clothing is...we'll just pretend they do work for arguements sake. the charcoal or whatever can only absorb so much odor before it stops absorbing. to release the odors and "recharge" these suits, they have to reach a certain temp. (which a clothes dryer will not reach). so even if they did work right out of the box, they would be disposable because you could not "recharge" or "reactivate" them.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

In my opinion, nothing beats height, for getting rid of scent. I'll take a stand 15 feet off the ground, over all the scent protection presently available, anytime.

I worry more about movement, than I do scent. I have had deer follow my
footprints right up to my stand, sniffing and looking, the whole way. With as much human scent is there is around the woods, I think the deer become some what used to it, but you let one of them see you move, and they will gather up some gone in a hurry. We have a lot of ranches and farms around here and they are always people around. Unless you live in an area where there just aren't any people, then I wouldn't worry about it, unless your on the ground.
If you ground hunt, then make sure you take a good bath before dressing and keep your clothes washed in a good sports wash, and you should still be able to get close enough for a shot.

Lots of products out there that are made to catch the hunter rather than the prey.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:05 PM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
With as much human scent is there is around the woods, I think the deer become some what used to it
With all the logging that goes on where we elk hunt, we always joke that the best cover scent would be chainsaw gas/oil mix.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 30, 2010, 06:29 AM   #8
hooligan1

hehehe scentlock clothing is only part of it, You need to read up on ALL the methods for rendering yourself scentless. Camocop said it first, ALWAYS hunt the wind!!! Even with all that it still helps if your up off the ground..I don't particualy hunt for trophies, but IF I did, my already stringent steps to being unscented would intensify, and I would definetly hunt from the tree stand. As far as scentlock clothing goes, it's worthless if not used properly!
Old August 30, 2010, 07:08 AM   #9
shredder4286

Quote:
do a google search on scent lok. they are being sued for false advertisement.
+1 read the article on scentlock in the august issue of Field and Stream.

But wait, those guys in the hunting videos use scentlock- so it must work right? or is that just because the deer they hunt are fence-bound?....
Old August 30, 2010, 08:00 AM   #10
doofus47

I have a Russian Sage in my front yard. I lop off a couple branches and throw those into a tupperware tub with my surplus camos a few weeks prior.

Then I hunt into the wind....

Old September 3, 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
bamaranger

the wind

I think it was one of the Wentzel bros that said, maybe even wrote a book titled, ...."deer are the wind".

Height helps, I am an devout treestand kook. But a deer positively up wind cannot scent you. Thermals, eddies, funnels, etc, will all work against that. But get it right, and you cannot be winded. Period.

"Getting it right" is the trick. Each year, I have trees I cannot/will not hunt, because I cannot get the right combo of time off (to hunt) time of day, and wind. And often, I still do not get it right.

Forty two days till bow season.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Deerhunter

I always wash my cloths in Primos scent free soap. Then transfer to the dryer and use the earth smell dryer sheets. After the stuff is dry I put it in plastic bags. I have a couple of scent lock bags that I use but only because they hold up and were on sale. If I need more space then trash bags work just fine. Put all your stuff in there. Keep the scent of the house of the cloths. That is all you really need to do. I have been 15 feet up a tree and have deer walk between the ladder and the tree, look up at me and walk away.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:44 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Most of the scent lock stuff is, IMHO, just a marketing gimmik.
Same with camos. A generation, or two, ago most hunters wore wool coats with a red and black plaid pattern. They killed deer just fine. I believe simply breaking up the solid, plain image of the human outline is adequate. Personally, I still like the WWII woodland camo pattern.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:44 AM   #14
spclPatrolGroup

Do they make scent lock underwear?
Old September 3, 2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Deerhunter

I wonder why if they say that the scent blocker cloths hold your scent in why is it that after having WaWa breakfast sandwich and I have gas in the tree stand I can still smell it. Shouldn't it block that as well? Maybe I should write to the company and get a refund. I got my stuff on sale cheap and only got it cause it was nice stuff, camo and cheap not for the "scent blocking" technology.
Old September 3, 2010, 11:14 AM   #16
4406v

I used to buy into the "scent free" market FACT IS:IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THE BE SCENT FREE

I stopped buying anything sold with "hunter" "scent free" "eliminates human odor" and started using plain old Arm and Hammer unscented laundry detergent,I wash all of my hunting clothes by hand outside in a garbage can with a large plastic bag in it.When done washing I hang them in a tree and rinse well with a hose,then let them air dry,then seal in a large zip loc bag.I shower before hunting and don't use anything else.I have not noticed ANY difference in the number of deer who bust me in the woods.Fact is if a deer is truly downwind of you they ARE going to smell you PERIOD!!! There is no way to beat a deers nose.You can lessen the amount of scent you leave behind (you still have to breathe) but you will NEVER totally eliminate it.
Old September 3, 2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
imo, scent lok clothing is a waste of money. hunt high and use the wind to your advantage. do a google search on scent lok. they are being sued for false advertisement.
+1. Don't waste your money on that stuff.