The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 27, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
okiefarmer

Good day at the range with the '58s..........

Have gone out a few times in past week with the Remis in 36 and 44, mostly just shooting the steel discs from 100' away. I can't hear jack chit, but the other guy said he could.

I got out some paper targets today, set at 50'. I am ready for a home invasion. I hit minute of silver dollar with the iron sighted pieces. Out all 6 from the 44 inside the center circle. The 36 was high and right on 4 shots, right on one and straight up high on the last. But, only 3 inches.

I was pleasantly surprised with this and it was roundball, not conical.

My only issue is seating the 36 RB. The seating plunger has a ledge that stops it in the cylinder before ball is seated firmly. 44 allows full pressure seat on powder. I can tell this at firing, it is a very small delay, like flintlock delay. I was loading a tad south of 20 grains Pyrodex. Report was very light, so perhaps I could load up up a little, but accuracy at 18-19 was awful good.

Just an FYI.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Hawg

I use 25 grs. in my .36 Remington and 35 in my .44 Remington.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
okiefarmer

I am not the 'spert on black powder so mostly go by what's in that little booklet. I did shoot GOEX fff the other day, but I have several bottles of Pyrodex and wanted to shoot it up. Holy cow, was twice the job of cleaning up, oxidized in just a few hours. And had more stiff cylinders while shooting with Pyrodex. When it's gone, it's gone.

I did notice loading recommendations were a bit heavier with black powder (and isn't GOEX real black powder, or at least a heck of a lot closer than Pyrodex). Standard loadings in book for black powder were 22 (in .36) and 35 (in .44). I was using 17 grains Pyro in the .36 and 28 frains Pyro in the .44

I'll try it again in a day or so. The boss has plans for me tomorrow. Something around the yard she says.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I have several bottles of Pyrodex and wanted to shoot it up. Holy cow, was twice the job of cleaning up, oxidized in just a few hours. And had more stiff cylinders while shooting with Pyrodex.
I shoot Pyro exclusively and cleanup is no problem but maybe it's been so long since I had real black I don't remember how easy it really is. I can also go for days without cleaning.

Quote:
I am not the 'spert on black powder so mostly go by what's in that little booklet.
The little booklet is lawyerized. Shoot what works for you just remember you cannot overload a steel framed revolver or IMHO a brass framed .36. You can overload a brass framed .44. It won't blow up or anything drastic but over time will ruin it.
The loading lever on my .44 Remington bottoms out with .35 grs. of Pyro. I don't believe it will seat a ball firmly on top of 30 grs. without using a filler. I don't remember my last one doing that so maybe they shortened the rams or I just got a funny one.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Smokin_Gun

I got a .36 Rem someone did that to...probly found a sweetspot and kept it there or was usin' Conical boolits and needed the room on mine. (Euroarms) Hawes of L.A.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
My only issue is seating the 36 RB. The seating plunger has a ledge that stops it in the cylinder before ball is seated firmly. 44 allows full pressure seat on powder. I can tell this at firing, it is a very small delay, like flintlock delay. I was loading a tad south of 20 grains Pyrodex. Report was very light, so perhaps I could load up up a little, but accuracy at 18-19 was awful good.

good show on the accuracy, IMHO the 1858 steel frame guns, are still the best bang for the buck, in cap/ball. Relatively large chamber powder capacity, strong frame- good price.

that's the issue with loading down below to 18 grains- the powder doesnt' get compressed- either load up until it will seat on the powder, or use wads/filler to fill in the space, are your only other options

you may also want to look at the bottom of your Rem frame, I had to clearance the last one with a file and dremel in that area, so the rammer handle would go all the way back, and push the plunger fully into the cylinder chambers- it was hanging up in the frame

yes, below 20 grains it starts sounding like shooting a cap gun- accurate, yes- powerful, no.