The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 11, 2002, 08:56 PM   #1
COREY CARSON

Paddle or Belt Holster

I am looking for a holster for my Beretta 92 and I have found a left handed holster by Fobus in either belt or paddle. What I was wondering was what is the difference? I want to use it later if I deicde to do some IPSC shooting so a recommendation on whcich would be better would be great.
Old July 12, 2002, 06:21 AM   #2
clown714

a paddle can be put on or taken off without removing belt.

i use a paddle exclusively just for that fact.

my daily rig is a fobus paddle.

very lightwt,kinda squeeky when i run tho

clown
Old July 12, 2002, 08:36 AM   #3
Chris W

I just got the fobus paddle for my (new!) glock 17 yesterday, and I've got to add that COMFORT is another big advantage. The gun really rides on your body instead of just pulling at your clothes. I got it for range use, but can absolutely see how a person could wear this thing all day in comfort. The fobus paddle is a great product (and it has a securely adjustable cant, which is cool).

Chris
Old July 12, 2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Futo Inu

My way of thinking at present, for CCW, is as follows.

1. Paddle is preferred over belt-slide for everyday use with covering garment, so that if you go somewhere and need to remove garment (such as eating lunch at restaurant), you can by leaving paddle rig and gun in car. BS is a lot of trouble to take off belt in this situation.

2. If you do insist on using a BS, but encounter a regularly-occurring situation where you need to remove the covering garment, as I do, then use a minimal, "Yaqui"-type rig, so that you can take gun out to leave in car, but leave rig on belt. It's so small that it's not so conspicuous to leave on while empty. For this reason, I've ordered a black Milt Sparks Yaqui. It shouldn't look much different empty than a pager, to a passing glance.
Old July 12, 2002, 02:55 PM   #5
9mmepiphany

i've been carrying my beretta 96 in my fobus paddle for quite awhile now; got it range and back-n-forth to work . i also have a alessi ACP which i bought for all day "serious carry".

i found that the paddle carried a bit lower then most OWB holsters i have used. but it doesn't carry low enough to show when i add a coat, so it is a moot point.

the ACP stays in place better during training, lots of presentations, but it does require proper placement when dressing...the paddle can be adjusted, all the time.

i have found that the paddle is very secure on the belt for carry and that the advantage of being able to remove it quickly makes it a better choice for a first holster
Old July 12, 2002, 05:45 PM   #6
AK103K

I have the Uncle Mikes version of both the paddle and belt holsters. While the paddle does stay on, (its actually hard to get off) it does move around alot, more than I like. You have to constantly reposition the thing, which I cant deal with. The belt holster doesnt do this and feels more secure. I think for ISPC you would probably be better off with the belt holster, better yet, save up and get a Blade-Tech, they are well worth the extra money.
Old July 12, 2002, 05:56 PM   #7
9mmepiphany

the fobus paddle is much more stable on the belt then the uncle mike's...the retaining tabs are spread out the width of the paddle.

i like both the UM and fobus better then the blade-tech, i just didn't see that it was twice as "good"
Old July 12, 2002, 09:46 PM   #8
KSFreeman

I prefer the belt holster. A holster is not just a way to tote your hawglaig about. It is part of your pistol and part of your fighting technique.

It's first job is stability. Belt holsters hold the weapon more stable. This will ensure that: 1. it is with you (retention), 2. ensure a proper grip upon the weapon.

As well, most fights will start or end with you on the ground. You want the pistol to be with you, not clattering under a Buick.

Second, most paddle holsters are too flimsy to help in one hand mal drills. I prefer a nice thick, tough piece of horse.

If taking the weapon off and putting it back on is a concern like for FI, I have had no trouble with my Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB holster. I enter into prisons, jails, and federal and state courthouses daily. I find it no inconvience and usually take it off or put it on seated.

I have no experience with gun games and cannot recommend one. As well, I do not know if my holster meets gun game regs.