The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 5, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
CameronP

Shipping to Ontario, Canada

Greetings:

Any of you fine, shade tree lawyers know whether or not Canada allows the shipment of a black-powder revolver to one of it's black powder affectionados ????
Old October 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Canada to my knowledge has no restrictions on black powder flintlock or percussion arms.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Drifter1885

Hi all, new to your site, but not to guns or shooting sports. (or hunting for that matter) As a resident in Canada, any handgun is considered a 'restricted' weapon and falls under a totally different set of import rules. (Although flintlock rifles are not considered a "firearm", the flintlock pistols are still considered restricted). The following link will give the hoops to go through on the Canadian end; as far as I know, from talking to a U.S. Border Services personnel this month, when I went back to Montana, was a firearm shipped from the states needs to be shipped from am FFL dealer to a Canadian arms dealer. That being said, there are also companies in the U.S.A. that will ship firearms through all the legal channels for a flat fee: you provide the gun, address and required funds, they do all the work. Hope this helps.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html

Regards,
Drifter1885

Last edited by Drifter1885; October 26, 2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot link
Old October 25, 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
MattShlock

Drifter;
You forgot to mention Purolator Courier...
Old October 26, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Drifter1885

Sorry, folks, forgot the link; added it to my first reply and here.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html

Btw, MattShlock, how does Purolator do it, just package it and away it goes? What about Customs?

Regards,
Old October 26, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

My last (and I do mean LAST) trip to Canada, I was repeatedly questioned about having a gun in my car (I did not have any gun or ammunition). The "lady" yelled in my face, screamed at me that I fit some kind of profile, and held us up for a half hour, though she did not search the car. I had no guns, no ammo, no bumper or window stickers, nothing to provoke that kind of result.

In addition, in contrast to previous visits, I found many Canadians hostile and nasty. I have little doubt our current government has made enemies throughout the world, but also that Canada's extreme anti-gun attitude is not making friends in the U.S. Note again - I was not attempting to bring a gun or any other contraband into Canada, so I can only conclude that Canadian Border Services will treat every American as I was treated.

Jim
Old October 26, 2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Drifter1885

The CBSA bunch can get pretty rude. I have been using the same crossing point since 1974; 1-2 trips/year, only time I EVER had a problem was with a female border guard. No disrespect towards or slight intened towards women; just stating it like it is. The part about Canadians in general being hostile is a bit of a surprise, although it doesn't surprise me. As an American living in Canada for a good portion of my life (employed by an American owned company) and trying to purchase parts for my bikes and engines from U.S. sellers, I found a lot of hostility and downright nastiness directed towards Canadian buyers; things like "will NOT ship to Canada", "will not sell to Canada", blocking emails from Canadian buyers, charging exorbitant shipping fees to Canada, etc. So, in view of that, I can understand(not agree with) some peoples attitudes. That being said, last spring, on my way into Montana, a U.S. border patrol agent looked over my passport, asked why I had never given up my U.S. citizenship and gotten a Canadian citizenship. I asked him; "would you?" He smiled, shook my hand, and said, "welcome home." Gotta wonder....has that ever happened on the other side of the line.....

As to the "Canada's extreme anti-gun attitude" believe me, not all Canadians support this. Check out the "Canadian Gun Nutz" forum. A lot of good people "up here" have dedicated a lot of time and a lot of money towards the fight against gun control.

Where I live, most (not all) people look forward to the American tourists, both for the increase in revenue, as to just seeing people "from abroad" and visiting, literally, with strangers. Too bad people can't put their petty biases and attitudes to rest and just remember, "God created us all, therefore we are all equal in His eyes."

My opinion (or rant, if you will)

Regards,
Drifter1885
Old October 27, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
g.willikers

Rudeness and suspicion at the Canadian border is nothing new.
My scuba club used to travel to the Canadian Great Lakes areas for shipwreck diving for years.
Even back in the late 1980s the bad experiences at the border motivated us to stay on our side for our dive trips.
Our cars were often searched.
We were routinely treated with suspicion and rudeness.
Not by the citizens of Canada, mind you, but by the authorities.
Enough so that we quit going there.
Letters to their ministry of tourism went unanswered.
Quite a change from when going back and forth was totally uneventful.
Don't know why the change occurred, but it did, long before the current troubles began.
Old October 28, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Smokin'Joe

I noticed a big change for the worse by Canadian border crossing authorities right after 9/11/01.