The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 26, 2015, 08:40 AM   #1
deadwooddickey

converting a sporterized 1903 sprfld. back to full military.

I have a rock island 1903 sprfld that has been sporterized.It even has a scope on it.I would like to convert it back to full military or close to it.I would like to use a lyman 48 peep site.Has anyone out there done this before? Any help would be very much appreciated.I know I will need the correct stock and most likely a new barrel.My barrel appears to have been shortened and is missing the military front sight.I am not sure how to remove and reinstall a barrel.Any suggestions?I may need several misc. parts as well.Parts for these rifles are drying up.Does anyone know of a source.I really want to make this happen.The 1903 is one of my favorite rifles.This rifle will remain in my personal collection and be passed down to my heirs.I have never seen a 1903 that did not shoot very well.I am preserving a piece of U S military history. That is my mission. THANKS SO MUCH.
Old April 26, 2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Blindstitch

You need a barrel vise and action wrench.
Old April 26, 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
emcon5

Is the serial number higher or lower than 285,507?
Old April 26, 2015, 12:51 PM   #4
mehavey

You are also going to need a set of headspace gauges and (most likely) a chamber reamer to change out the barrel.
Since there's a scope on it, I assume the receiver was drilled & tapped (with holes) on top of both front and rear as well ?
And... if I'm not mistaken, the Lyman48 requires two new holes on the side of the rear receiver.

You might want to consider leaving things as they are instead and getting another unmodified milsurp instead.

Old April 26, 2015, 01:26 PM   #5
taylorce1

It'll be cost prohibitive to take it back, and it'll never be correct. Don't forget sporterized military firearms are a piece of history as well. Some famous gunmakers such as Roy Weatherby got their start using military firearms.

I'm all for keeping military firearms correct when possible but sometimes it isn't possible due to the previous owner.
Old April 27, 2015, 05:18 AM   #6
Mobuck

It'll be cost prohibitive to take it back, and it'll never be correct.

^^^^that^^^
If you really want a military configuration, just spend the $$ upfront and get one. The price of an original 03 barrel and an original stock is a major expenditure. Sometime back, I sold a pristine 03A3 military stock for enough to buy a sporterized 03A3 outright.
Old April 27, 2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Erno86

I showed Mark Hartman, from James River Armory, who restores 1903 Springfield rifles --- my sporterized 1903 Springfield at the range where he test-fires his guns --- and he said that he could not restore it; because it was already drilled and tapped for a scope.

Call James River...and see what Mark can do for you --- or just buy a restored Springfield from James River; because I heard that 1903 Springfield parts are getting scarce. Mark just picked-up a load of German Mauser stocks...so he might have some WW2 German Mauser rifles for sale soon.

--- George Orwell
Old April 27, 2015, 02:00 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Please use your space bar. Make reading your post easier.
Putting a Lyman sight isn't restoring it to military configuration. However, restoring any milsurp has gotten extremely expensive. Gunparts, for example, wants $168.85 for a scant stock with no metal. $11.85 for a hand guard.
It's really the wee metal bits that really cost. Butt plates run $20.10.
Why do you think you need a barrel? Gunparts has none for 1903's anyway, but 03A3 barrels run $191.35 when they have 'em.
And like emcon5 infers, if the S/N is below 285,507 that rifle isn't safe to shoot to start.
Old April 28, 2015, 02:21 AM   #9
Clark

My father entered WWII in 1944 as a 22 year old second lieutenant. He had a marksmanship badge on his uniform. After he got out of the army he bought a rifle just like the one that got him his badge: A 30-06 at Sears and Roebuck for $39.95.

In the 1980s, my brother shot a bear with it.
I blame him for the lack of sling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 Springfield 1931 11-5-2012.jpg (45.8 KB, 106 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 28, 2015, 06:43 PM   #10
Huffmanite

Having the action already drilled/tapped for a scope prevents you from really restoring it back to its original military condition.

Criterion does make a barrel for a 1903A03, not sure about them having one for a 1903.....there is a difference in contour of barrel where the rear sight for a 1903 Rock Island is installed. Also, Boyds makes a decent replacement stock for the 1903A03. I used one of them when I restored my 1903 Springfield around 4 years ago, but mine had not be scoped and it still had the original rear and front sights.

Been awhile, but SARCO once had a fair collection of 1903 parts, also maybe Springfield Sporters for its hardware/parts. Chances of finding a decent original barrel for your rifle are slim, and if you do, will be on the pricey side. Very same thing for an original stock. Handguard for the stock should be easy to find.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:40 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest you take some NRA summer school classes. Machine Shop II (but you must take Machine Shop I) will teach you how to fit a barrel onto the receiver. If you do it yourself, you may have to buy or grind your own bit for the square thread used by the Springfields. You'll need to do this and headspace it.
Old April 29, 2015, 09:48 AM   #12
kraigwy

First off, don't be discouraged, its not as difficult as you think.

However, you want to make sure the rifle is a post 285,507 serial number. The earlier, low numbers can be dangerous to shoot.

Without seeing the rifle now, I'm going to assume you need a stock and barrel.

The CMP sells both. If your rifle has the rear sight (1903) then you are a head of the game.

The stock wont take much fitting, it will be easy. It should come with the upper wood.

PM me with your E-Mail address and I'll send you the TM for the M1903 (in PDF format) that will show you what parts you need and how they go together.

You can get any missing parts from Sarco or Gunpartscorp.

The only difficult, (not really difficult but you do need a Chamber Reamer and headspace gages) is installing the barrel.

Its not hard. You'll find a mark on the receiver, and one on the barrel. Screw the barrel on until the marks line up. It should be "short-head spaced" meaning you'll have to use a reamer to take a few thousand's off so the Go Gage Works. This should be done by hand, not a lathe. You wont be removing much metal so be careful. If you haven't done any chambering before you might want to take it to a gun smith. It wont cost much, it just takes a couple minutes.

If you are going to shoot it I would highly recommend you true up the face of the receiver with the internal receiver threads, you'd be surprised how this will improve accuracy.

Don't let the above comments discourage you. I've done several, its not that hard. Except for the barrel chambering, its real easy, just a matter of putting it together.

I would recommend against the Lyman sights if you want it back too the M1903.

It the holes drilled for the scope mount bother you use plugs to cover them up.

Anyway if you need help with this project pm me, I can get you going. This will make an outstanding project and rifle to pass down to your kids.

However, Friday morning I'm going on a spring bear hunt and probably wont be able to get back to you for a week to ten days.

Just about all M1903s are rebuilds. I don't get concerned with "all original' They are as rare as hens teeth.

This is my personal M1903A4, all made with parts, it wasn't original. But it meets all the rules to the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071