The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1
DarkRayz

Tasers and big dogs

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this question.

Do tasers work reliably on large dogs?

I live in an apartment complex acting to large dog owners. I have a large golden, about as aggressive as a glazed donut. In just 4 weeks I've had two cases where knucklehead owners are out late with their dog or dogs off leads, and the dogs reacted to my passive leashed golden with aggression. One had him by the neck yipping before I kicked it off, and the other time was a close call by a different dog.

I have a ccw but now carry a taser and pepper spray, the latter in hand as I walk the dog. I jokingly think I might find myself peppering the dog and tasering the idiot owner as punishment for putting their dog and my dog at risk with this behavior. but my question is, assuming my aim in such a situation is correct (yes it's a careful situation with fur flying...) will a taser at least transiently disable the dog? Kill it? I love dogs but my own before all others, especially when he is the victim here.

I've reported these events to management but I don't think much will change....except maybe if I have to taser a dog, then word might get out!

DR
Old July 10, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
booker_t

What type of pepper do you have? From my reading/understanding, OC Spray is the most effective against dogs.

Also, from my understanding, a Taser will work well against dogs. I'd try to avoid hitting the head/neck or underbelly, though. There are videos on YouTube if you're interested.

As always, check local laws to be sure you're acting within them. Might be worthwhile to seek formal training for safe use of the Taser in case you get sued.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Carne Frio

I'm interested in Tasers working on dogs, too.
I have had great luck with bear spray six times
in the last five years. It kicks their butts and I
have never had one repeat. I also carry a 10mm
or a 44 mag, but don't want to have to spend the
time and energy to explain that to the police or to
the other dog owners.
Old July 11, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
EastSideRich

Bull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9rXD...ext=1&index=39

I can't remember how to embed video, but if a taser can do this, I'm sure a dog would be no problem (as long as you hit him with both barbs).
Old July 11, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Bigjim3

It works on most anything human or animal. Ive been hit 3 seperate times and I can asure you it hurts. I have crapy police friends and I work in a jail.
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old July 11, 2010, 01:13 AM   #6
GLK

A quality taser will flat out drop even the most aggressive dog where it stands. Trouble is hitting it while it is charging and before it locks on you or your dog and not hitting your dog once it has locked on. In a case of two or more dogs that are intensely fighting I couldn't imagine being able to get a safe clear shot unless it was a contact shot. In my experience by far the best option is a larger canister of OC spray, and for dogs the type with the sticky foam base has worked great for us on several occasions in the past.

My wife and or myself walk our two 70 pound dogs daily for a minimum of an hour. In doing so we of course can cover a large and diverse area. My dogs won't back down from any dog(even to their own determent),but my dogs are always under my control on a leash and will follow voice commands to hold their position even when they see a dog charging. So far we have been blessed that we have only suffered charges or attempted attacks that never resulted in bites or locking on from the aggressor dog/s. However I personally have caused a 125 plus pound Neapolitan Mastiff in full on charge attack mode to stop so fast he nearly turned inside out, and then he proceeded to lose his mind trying to get the Mace brand pepper foam off his face and nose. Attacking me and or my dogs was the last thing on it's mind. Additionally more than a couple of "pit/cur" mixes didn't even have to take a direct face hits, the aerosol pepper mist that got in their eyes and up their nose from the initial blast resulted in them tuning tail and making a quick retreat, and these were relatively hardcore aggressive street dogs.

I am almost ashamed to admit this, but had I possessed a taser that day I would most likely gone to jail for using on the owner's of the Mastiff, as both seemed to want to finished what their free ranging K-9 killing machine had started. As always it is ultimately the owners fault and responsibility for their dogs actions and they just didn't get that. Luckily my dogs were not having any part of them getting anywhere us and we able to walk safely away. The best part of the story is, they ended up having to surrender their dog due to a final incident and it was sent off to K-9 rehab run by some Mastiff rescue group.
Old July 11, 2010, 07:18 AM   #7
g.willikers

Pepper sprays have a longer lasting effect; the effect of most tasers lasts only as long as it is being applied.
As soon as the taser stops, a really aggressive person or animal can continue to menace within a very short time.
The police generally use tasers to incapacitate someone long enough to otherwise secure them.
It all depends on how mind changing the experience is.
As the video shows, the bull is up and mad real quick.
Pepper spray would seem to be a better choice for roaming, aggressive dogs.
Old July 11, 2010, 07:27 AM   #8
noyes

Electronic Dog Traning Collar , Dog shock collars work ,

A taser surely will.
Old July 11, 2010, 07:28 AM   #9
coldpointcrossing

Since you are walking during evening hours try carrying a 4-D cell Maglite. In it's own peculiar way, it makes a great dog repellant!
Old July 11, 2010, 10:05 AM   #10
DarkRayz

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to get some of that foam base pepper spray.

Since I'm always walking my dog on lead, what do folks think about pulling the firing cartridge from my taser and have it ready as direct contact mode: likely if the Aggressor dog is on my dog, I'll be unhappily close as well...these things operate like stun guns in direct contact.....this would be if I miss with the pepper spray or there is inadequate effect....

Thx to all

DR
Old July 11, 2010, 02:19 PM   #11
brickeyee

Quote:
what do folks think about pulling the firing cartridge from my taser and have it ready as direct contact mode:
Think twice about sticking you hand out that close to a vicious dog.

It is a tasty target, even holding a taser.

Last edited by brickeyee; July 11, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old July 11, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Single Six

I can personally attest to the fact that there are NO guarantees when it comes to pepper spray stopping people...or dogs. I have seen it fail to even slow down,much less stop,drunk or otherwise impaired individuals. I have also seen a large pit bull on the attack shrug off pepper spray like it was water and continue merrily chomping away. Food for thought: Have a plan "B". Be ready to go to guns if appropriate,or,if not appropriate,a large fixed-blade knife,or even a baseball bat,will do. Pepper spray CAN work. It very often does. Just not always,every time.
Old July 11, 2010, 03:13 PM   #13
usaign

There were two parts to the bull video. The first part is the bull getting tased. The next part is where the Taser current is turned off. The Bull then gets up, much angrier then he was before the Tase, and then violently charges the fence.

So there is a lesson to be learned from the Tasing. Now most people who are shot by the police know well enough to lay on the ground or else the police might tase them again or use other methods such as the nightstick/pepper spray/etc. Therefore, when an officer uses a taser most of the time they do not move and stay on the ground...a psychological stop because they believe the officer might use a greater force should they start moving.

However, when it comes to animals and non-officer encounters its much different. When the Taser current is turned off, then the possibility exists to have the mad-bull effect.

The civilian Taser has a 30 second time frame. You use that time frame to run, not walk, to get your pistol. Chances are when whatever you tased gets up, they will be loaded with adrenalin and coming at you stronger and faster then before. So the Taser is not really a weapon, but a device to give you a little more time so you can arm yourself with a gun.

Here is the other thing about the Taser. Its not a device that was meant to be used against older or weaker targets. If you tase that animal and it dies, then you might be held responsible through the civil courts.
Old July 11, 2010, 05:17 PM   #14
javabum

I'm on the side of the fence of using the spray as apposed to tazer.....
Due to its inability to effectively stop a predator for good i believe the spray
would do a much better job.....

As for the last poster that said "Here is the other thing about the Taser. Its not a device that was meant to be used against older or weaker targets. If you tase that animal and it dies, then you might be held responsible through the civil courts." I say this....If that animal is coming after you it matters not the age of said animal if aggressive.....And if said animal is not leashed or otherwise
contained the owner is responsible for any an all actions it does...age not being a factor.So civil action is not even an option by said owner.

JM2C

NRA Life member
Old July 12, 2010, 01:27 AM   #15
bamaranger

footage

There's some footage out there, shot by a news crew of an officer using taser on a rottweiller. Don't know if it was a 1 or 2 dart hit, but the dog went down, rolled, and spilt, yipping and yelping like a puppy.

Has anybody searched youtube, it should be an easy find.
Old July 12, 2010, 11:02 AM   #16
pax

Asked & answered -- and not really firearms related.

pax
Closed Thread