The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2014, 02:55 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Texan reloading press info needed

I bought this thing from eBay and have no information on it.

I also have no experience with single stage loaders. I bought this to do some rifle and short run loading. I normally use my Lee loadmaster for 9mm only to date. This press appears to work the same way. My main problem at this point is priming. It has a RCBS priming arm but I have never used this style. Anyone know of a manual or can you demonstrate how the priming function works or if parts are missing.
Thank You
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 12, 2014, 03:12 PM   #2
AllenJ

It should have two primer cups, a small and a large. Easy to use, put clean resized case in shell holder and run the ram to the top. Put primer in the primer arm cup and push it into the ram. Then just raise the press handle until the primer is seated.

I have a Rock Chucker and it had the same primer system. I invested in a RCBS hand primer tool and have never used the other system since as it is slow and kind of a pain.
Old December 12, 2014, 03:18 PM   #3
BoogieMan

I may do the same. I paid $13 for the press and $10 more for shipping along with another item. This thing is all cast iron and seems pretty tight. The quality is 10x better than my Lee.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 12, 2014, 04:13 PM   #4
condor bravo

If you do not have the correct shell holder(s), RCBS or other similar should work. As explained above, the system is intended to size, deprime, and prime in the same operation.
Old December 12, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5
mkl

It looks similar to my RCBS Jr. except that the RCBS is an O-frame other than the C-frame in the picture.

The ram on the press should have a slot cut into it so that the priming arm can be pushed into the ram when the ram is raised. As mentioned, there should be two priming cup holders (large and small primers) and two primer seating punches that fit into the hole in the end of the primer arm. A small spring goes over the primer punch (rod?) and then the cup/punch assembly is pushed into the top of the priming arm hole and secured with a small hex screw on the front upper face of the priming arm.

To use, the case is placed in the shell holder and the the ram is run all the way up. A primer is placed in the cup on the priming arm and then the priming arm is pushed forward into the slot in the ram. The ram is then brought down until the primer seats in the primer pocket. The ram is then raised and the priming arm pops back out due to the flat spring on the back of the priming arm. Remove primed case and repeat.

I've used this system for many years for both rifle and handgun cartridges and find it works very well assuming you have all the parts. Probably some videos on utube showing how to use the RCBS press priming system for some of their presses will help.
Old December 12, 2014, 05:07 PM   #6
BoogieMan

I think I got it. I didnt see that the wrist pin was sticking out on the ram. Once I pushed it in the ram moves up far enough to put the priming arm in place. I will have to get by the LGS and see if I can get any of the missing parts. The priming are only has the small primer pocket and I dont have anything that I plan to load on this press that uses small primers. I will clean this thing up in the glass bead cabinet and give it a fresh coat of wrinkle, clean up the ram and add some fresh lube. Im thrilled to have bought a quality press for so little. I dont like the cast aluminum in my Lee. As a machinist it feels very cheep to me.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 12, 2014, 06:20 PM   #7
mehavey

Super press....
I've had mine since`68 and still use it as my load-at-the-range press.
Old December 12, 2014, 07:03 PM   #8
BumbleBug

Back in the late 60's Texan was known to be excellent quality equipment comparable to RCBS. A friend of mine had a neat Texan turret press that he loved! I don't remember them making dies but they had a complete line of tools otherwise.

Enjoy!

...bug
Old December 12, 2014, 07:26 PM   #9
gwpercle

CH4D sells a universal priming arm, complete with both priming cups. $10.00 Also there should be a flat spring, it goes in the empty slit in the priming arm, (facing the shell holder) and appears to be missing. A quick call or E-mail to those nice folks and they can verify if it will interchange. wwwch4d.com
Gary
Old December 15, 2014, 09:03 AM   #10
BoogieMan

Thank you for the link. I will be calling them today and getting what I need. Press needs a little work but I will bring it in the shop and get it back to new condition within a day or 2.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown