The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2001, 10:02 AM   #1
Josh

I am currently looking at a Choate 7 shot magazine extension for the Remington Express.

Has there been any problems with this extension or extensions in general?

$39.00-good buy? Itcomes with a spring and bright orange follower.
Old May 30, 2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Romulus

Josh, I bought a Choate extension ten or so years ago, maybe 8 or 9, and it has worked flawlessly for me...not that I've used my shotgun much, I remain a neophyte shooter after all these years of collecting, but never a bind or failure to feed...

Regarding price: I've seen Tac-star extensions (nigh identical) for $29.00 at Ajax shooters supply

http://www.ajaxgrips.com or (214) 630-8893
Old May 30, 2001, 01:04 PM   #3
imperative

I second that - I've got a Choate 7-shot and it has worked perfectly for me. It's parkerized to match my gun and feels really solid. I think some of those other brand extensions are plastic, which doesn't really appeal. I think I paid somewhere in the 30s for it.
One thing, I did have to drill out the two little dimples inside the basic tube. They're the bumps that keep the spring from shooting out when you take the cap off. I used a drill, and then I had to do quite a bit of filing. But that's probably just because I didn't make the holes big enough to start.
I really like their orange follower, it's really solid too.
Old May 30, 2001, 10:34 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Choate extensions have been around for many years, and been through the mill with the police and military. Other than bent extensions caused by not using a magazine/barrel clamp, I've only seen one problem where the extension didn't want to screw onto a Remington 870 Police model. I think the threads were just 'bumped' a little. After being on and off a few times everything was OK.

I haven't worked with Tac-Star, or Scattergun Technologies enough to see any problems other than Scattergun seems to be a bit complicated with the sling swivel/hand stop.

The plastic extension should be OK, but I don't think I would want to trust one in hard use. Other than price I see no advantage to them.
Old May 31, 2001, 07:22 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One of my 870s has had an extension for almost 20 years, the other with one over ten. One's a Remington Extension. t'other's a Choate. No problems with either...
Old May 31, 2001, 01:09 PM   #6
imperative

One more thing, I rather like the 'feel' of the extra weight at the end of the barrel. It gives a little bit of heft that feels good when I swing it around.
Old June 1, 2001, 06:13 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 7 oz a two shot extension adds to the forward end of a "Serious" shotgun aids recoil control no end. Add the weight of two shells and one has cut the Felt Recoil considerably.

Extensions in general seem to be relatively glitchless, they're a simple mechanism.I do recommend a clamp and sling swivel stud, for strength and utility.

Old June 10, 2001, 11:01 AM   #8
swatman

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone here know if they make mag extensions for the 20 Ga. version?

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old June 10, 2001, 01:23 PM   #9
tyro

George Stringer (moderator of the TFL Smithy Forum) put a custom-made magazine extension of my 20 gauge 870 Youth Express Deer. I have been quite well satisfied with the workmanship and the service.
Old June 10, 2001, 02:44 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes they do, Swatman, but I see few.A 20 ga Youth Express 870 with mag extension handles like an M-1 carbine, and functions better than we do.

B-more narcs seem to have some say in their raid equipment,some use worked over 20 ga 870s w/ extension and slug bbls.
Old June 10, 2001, 04:00 PM   #11
dport

Pay the extra $6 and get a Scattergun ext.

I've used both Choate and Scattergun extentions. I think the Scattergun is superior by far. The Choate may work, but it seems flimsy to me. The Scattergun is "beefy" to say the least.

I've looked at the Vang Comp extention, and while I like the guys at Vang Comp personally, I can't see paying twice the money for virtually the same extention as the Scattergun.

Also I like the Scattergun's follower, the "nipple" allows you to readily feel the follower, to confirm the magazine is empty. Also the green is a lot easier to see than the orange when checking at night.

Just my opinion and it's worth every penny you've paid.
Old June 10, 2001, 04:49 PM   #12
Romulus

Wilson must think that a 20" barrels are anathema, consequently he makes extensions for 18" barrels only, with loss of a round...Scattergun Technologies make one- and two-shot extensions alone