The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #76
Nordeste

Sorry, I had to bring this thread up because...

Today, I ordered my PX4 .

Found a used unit in excellent shape for 350€. A good deal considering the prices of firearms in my country. Checked it and looks excellent. Felt really nice in my hands, better still that the 92FS, and I expected it to be bigger, but being the full size model, I found it quite compact in its dimensions. Guess part of this is due to the fact that I'm used to the size of the FS.

Stupidly enough I didn't take any photos at the gun shop, but I promise a good deal of them soon.

Shame is, I'll get to see it in my home town (bought it somewere else) next week, but it'll take a month or so before I'm able to shoot it. There's "some" paperwork that takes more or less a month since it's sent, until it's approved. Stupid bureocracy, but it's something you just can't help.

Hell, I can't wait...
Old June 16, 2011, 07:12 PM   #77
AustinTX

Congrats, Nordeste! I shot a PX4 in .40 yesterday, and it's taking all of my willpower not to deviate from my current buying plan and buy one tomorrow. They're just outstanding.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:20 PM   #78
Get R Done Guns

Way Under rated!

These are by far one of the best guns on the market. Across the board in all calibers they are fantastic! Great looking gun!
Old June 16, 2011, 07:22 PM   #79
ShipWreck

Yes, congrats
Old June 16, 2011, 07:24 PM   #80
napg19

Hearing alot of good things about the PX4. I have small hands, how is the size of the grip compared to a glock 19. Used to have a g19 so that's why I'm using it for comparison. Thanks.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:26 PM   #81
Get R Done Guns

Size of the guns are great. Can fit a lot of peoples hands. They are still a double stack though. They handle very well and are evenly weighted. Beretta is truly a master gun maker. After all they have been doing it for 500 years!
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old June 16, 2011, 08:47 PM   #82
napg19

Thanks. How does the PX4 Storm compare to the SR9c. Have ccw in mind? Thanks.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:10 PM   #83
markekb

Well different guns really. The px4 sub compact is closer than the one pictured. The px4 is similar in size to the glock 23, the sub compact similar to the 26/27. A little wider than the sr9. Still a great carry gun in any variant. The sub being smaller but some don't like the short grip. Both are an excellent choice. Depends on what brand you like I guess.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:15 PM   #84
Get R Done Guns

Yes, mark hit the nail on the head. Both great guns we sell a slew of both.
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old June 17, 2011, 06:55 AM   #85
iMagUdspEllr

You guys actually carry it with the safety on? It is a DA/SA gun... safety off always... all the time. I have the PX4 SD in .45 and I'm planning on getting the Compact (not the sub) this weekend in 9mm.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:19 PM   #86
Nordeste

Thanks a lot for the congratulations, gents . I agree that it's one of the best looking and better performing pistols on the market. Probably unknown for a lot of folks, but this just makes it more attractive to me. At my local shooting club, it looks like they are all sponsored by CZ, but just let'em be. I already have an XL size pistol (my 92) and a CZ didn't make any sense to me. I wanted a polivalent thing. Something you could enjoy yourself at the range with, and yet CC when the need came, and the perfect candidate was the PX. And of course, it has the best looks. Italians are -almost, there are always exceptions to the rule- unable to manufacture ugly things. They do know a bit about style.

I hope I ever get to shoot one in .40. Not a common caliber here. Whoever doesn't belong to the 9mm crowd shoots .45 ACP or .38 special (pistol version).
Old June 17, 2011, 11:30 PM   #87
MLeake

Safety on or off... Well, I bought F types, but the berettausa.com site just notified me (I set it up to do so) that slim safety levers are once again available.

Those convert the F type into a G type. (Decock only; lever pops back up off safe automatically.)

I've ordered a set for each of my pistols, and will do the conversion next month when I get home. Looks fairly simple. (Worst case, I'll have a gunsmith friend fix it if I screw it up.)
Old June 18, 2011, 10:31 PM   #88
10mm4ever

I've had so many poly frames through the years I've lost count. Mind you, I said "had". The 9mm PX4 is absolutely my favorite poly ever! If you pay close attention, take note of how few complaints/issues Beretta owners have compared to most everything else out there. This is a design worthy of the Beretta name in every way.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:43 AM   #89
motorcyclist

I just bought a PX4 compact. I was looking at hammer fired DA/SA pistols (hadn't had one in years) and kept going back to the Beretta. The full ambi controls did it for me being left handed. I've only put 150 rounds through it but already I'm liking this pistol. Much smoother and less felt recoil then my G23 (with 9mm conversion barrel) when shot back to back. Much quicker back on target. Also, it's Italian so it's very nice to look at. My pisan's know all about curves!
Old June 19, 2011, 07:47 PM   #90
Nordeste

I have to say that the fact that you can put the pistol on safety is one of the reasons I decided to get the PX4. A G version wouldn't make any sense for me, since my point is being able to carry the pistol with a round chambered and a safety on. That's the way I feel more comfortable and I train to unholster and put my safety off in the same movement, while I draw. This with the FS is easy. On the PX4, I realized it's a bit more difficult, but still possible.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:50 PM   #91
BerettaTN

I'll add my +1 for the PX4 Compact. It is my new carry gun. It was great at the range and is the perfect size (for me anyway) to carry. It is about the only thing I have found that I can hide in a strong side holster short of a pea shooter. Can't wait for the .40 to emerge which is supposed to be late September.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:01 PM   #92
MLeake

Nordeste, different strokes for different folks.

I feel no differently carrying a DA auto hammer down, safety off than I do carrying one of my S&W DA revolvers. (Ever notice how few manufacturers put safeties on DA revolvers? And how few buyers would be interested in a DA revolver with a safety? Why people are different about DA autos is beyond me.... but again, it's personal preference.)
Old June 20, 2011, 08:28 PM   #93
Sw627pro

I would love to buy a PX4. Too bad I live in MA and have no way to buy one
Old June 20, 2011, 08:53 PM   #94
the blur

I havn't cleaned mine yet. At least 300 rounds through it. Not 1 jam, or even a hint of malfunction. It's more accurate than I am.

I have to look for a youtube video on break down.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:07 PM   #95
LockedBreech

Blur, I'm curious how long yours will go. Mine regularly goes 200-400 rounds between cleanings (I clean after every outing but shoot a lot sometimes).

As for a video on disassembly, not necessary.

Pinch the two takedown levers (in the little "dimple" next to the Picatinny rail). Pull them down a bit while pushing forward on the slide. it will slide clear.

Remove the locking block, then remove the recoil spring from it (no worries, it is impossible to put the spring back into the block incorrectly, it won't go in). Remove the barrel. The pistol is now stripped. Four discrete components (frame, barrel, block, spring).

Clean it all (especially the locking blog and locking lug), lube light-to-medium - it does not need to be wet to run - where the rails ride and where the barrel rotates.

Reassembly.

- Put the barrel back in place.
- Put the spring back into the locking block. Place the components back in the gun together.
- Line the lug on the locking block up with the notch on the barrel.
- Compress the spring slightly to get the block to re-latch to the barrel. When they are back together, place the slide back on the frame and rack it back.
- The pistol is now reassembled.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2mbOSlDCo
Old June 21, 2011, 07:43 PM   #96
Donovan655

I've run my PX4 wet, dry, and in between with all sorts of ammo. It runs great.

I've run it up to 400 rounds without cleaning. No issues. However it seems to stay clean just like my 92 and M9.

It is very easy to clean so might as well clean after every trip to the range.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:42 PM   #97
Nordeste

MLeake, you're quite right with the revolver comparison. I see your point perfectly.

But, you know, there are things you just can help. I've been trained on guns that had safeties, and no matter how safe a Glock or a revolver is, I'll still want a safety. As you say, different strokes for different folks
Old June 22, 2011, 10:18 PM   #98
MidwestRookie

finally got my full-size 9mm yesterday and ran her for the first time today and it was great. only 150 rounds, no problems as expected. when I did my part it made a nice ragged hole. the luminescent sights were pretty cool, but even lit up they didn't do much at the range. would be plenty bright for night time use.

the recoil was definitely less than my 92s...I wasn't expecting .22 recoil, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Gonna add a lasermax to it and probably send it to my pops for a late father's day present. he should like it a lot..I know I do.

Tags
beretta , px4