The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Doc Maker

When should I change the recoil spring?

As I posted in another thread... I bought a Beretta 92F from an estate sale. Stamp on the frame is "AT" indicating a mfr date of 1988.

It was fired maybe once or twice before I bought it in Oct. '10. Otherwise it sat in a collection for 22 years.

I have no complaints with the action, so I am loathe to change anything. But I still want to know if long term storage can cause a permanent compression of the springs.
IMG_0128.jpg

Last edited by Doc Maker; January 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old January 3, 2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Amin Parker

Your springs are fine in that pistol. There is no need to worry at all.
Old January 3, 2011, 03:33 PM   #3
shortwave

Agree with Amin Parker.

Clean, inspect, relube and shoot.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Not until you find your spent casings flying much farther than they once did. Otherwise, it ain't broke -- so don't fix it.

(Exception: if you choose to start shooting much hotter loads than you previously shot, you might want to go to a heavier spring for the new loads.)
Old January 4, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Patriot86

What walt said!
I was at the range the other day and someone 3 or 4 lanes down was shooting something big(by the sound guessing larger than a .45 ). I bent down to get a box of ammo out of my range bag and what lands on the back of my neck? a nice hot shell casing from 20+ feet away. Based on the size and layout of the range I am dumbfounded HOW this thing got all the way to me but somehow the "magic" shell casing made its way over.

Around that time the guy stopped shooting, probably realizing something was a miss.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:52 AM   #6
bikerbill

Not a Beretta guy, so just wondering ... if the gun isn't cocked, are any of the springs under compression? I'm guessing not ...
Old January 5, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
PSP

Quote:
Not a Beretta guy, so just wondering ... if the gun isn't cocked, are any of the springs under compression? I'm guessing not ...
Not enough to worry about.

I disagree slightly on the recoil spring answers. Because the gun in question is used, and the round count is not known, I'd consider replacing the recoil spring on principle alone. "If it ain't broke..." is worth considering, but on the other hand "If I don't know for sure..." is also a valid position, IMHO. Besides, these recoil springs are pretty cheap.

Last edited by PSP; January 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old January 5, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP:
I disagree slightly on the recoil spring answers. Because the gun in question is used, and the round count is not known, I'd consider replacing the recoil spring on principle alone.
I agree with your disagreement.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:57 PM   #9
scottl

Go ahead and replace it if you wish.Buying a used gun is like buying used car.First thing most do is routine maintenance stuff.That used car could have 100 miles on the oil or 5,000.
Old January 10, 2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Doc Maker

The pistol was in the box for 20 years. When I got it last month, it looked brand spanking new. I mean not a SCRATCH. It had obviously been test fired. When I took it to the range for the first time, the action still made new scrapes in the finish inside where the slide meets the frame. I had cleaned and oiled it when it came home.

As part of a large estate collection, It has a low round count. I was just wondering about longterm storage, spring compression effects.
Old January 10, 2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Unless you are having problems with it, there is no reason to change any thing on it.
Old January 10, 2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

I would replace it after firing about 5000 rounds or when the cases start flying too far away. Just because it has been in the pistol for 20 years doesn't mean it has gone bad. Now if it is showing signs of rust then I would replace it right away.
Old January 11, 2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Average Joe

When it goes bad.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Rinspeed

Springs are cheap.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:30 AM   #15
PIGMAN

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Baretta makes a fine pistol and it will give you a lifetime of reliable service.

Tags
92f , beretta , recoil , spring