The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2001, 05:27 PM   #1
Ken DROVER

Anyone know how to do these? I am going to purchase a Burgess shotgun and need blackpowder loads for it (I'm assuming I do). I have no idea how to do these shells. Ken DROVER Burlington, Ontario Canada
Old February 21, 2001, 05:36 PM   #2
Bud Helms

12 1/2 (twelve and a half?) inches? Is that a typo? 2 1/2 inches?
Old February 22, 2001, 08:05 PM   #3
DAW

Ken, Are you going to use Paper, plastic, of full brass shot shells? It makes a minor difference. I have been loading 12 gauge with black powder now for about 3-4 months. It is a hoot to shoot!

The process for paper or plastic hulls is very simple:
1) Deprime and resize the hull as you normally would. Prime with your favorite 209 primer.
2) Drop in 70 grains of FFg black powder. You want to settle it down, so either use a BP drop tube (24-30 inches long copper tube). This partly compacts the powder. I just tap my shells with a small screw driver to settle the powder because I dont have a drop tube.
3) most people will use Winchester Red AA wads. Or you can use an inch over powder wad, and a 1/2 inch fiber wad. If you use fiber wad, you can add black powder lube to the fiber wad by dunking it in melted SPG lube. You don't need to do this either, but if you don't the BP fouling will be harder in the barrel. Lube keeps the fouling soft. Put a little pressure on the wad to slightly compress the powder. Don't bang on it, just press it with 20 to 40 pound of pressure.
4) drop in any where from 7/8 to 1 1/4 once of shot. I use 1 ounce of 7 1/2 shot.
5) Fold crimp as usual, or add an over shot wad and roll crimp.
Wads can be had from Circle Fly, or Blue grey on the cheap.

This is for brass hulls only: If you want to use full brass shot shells from Ballard or Old Western Scrounger, call Circle Fly and ask which wads are best for which type of brass. Here is my full Brass shot shell load:
First you will need something that will deprime the spent shells. I use a hand held depriming pin and brass hammer to tap them out (my shells use Fed 215 primers). Your shells may use 209 primers, or Berdan primers. The Berdan primers may be tricky. But, drill a small hole in the Berdan primer, then pry it out. Get a 12 gauge shell holder from RBCS, and load the primers with you Rock Chucker. Make sure you take the lug out of the press, so the big threaded whole is available. BP shells don't fit through Lymann presses or the 7/8 -14 threaded holes. Then add powder, wads, lube, shot, overshot wad, and glue in place with Elmers Glue. Take care to keep the inside of the neck clean from grease, or the gule may not take proper hold.
The reciepe I am using is Fed 215 primer in a Rem-UMC brass hull, 70 grains of FFg, a wax/crisco lube disk, overpowder wad, about 50 grains of Cream of Wheat as filler, cushion wad, 1 ounce of 7 1/2 shot, overshot wad, and glue, in this exact order. I am testing with lube in different positions, and of different hardness to see what works best for me. Some folks will put Crisco as lube in with the shot. You don't actually need the cream of wheat filler, and everyting will sit much lower in the case. This is not a problem other than it makes gluing a little tougher.
Have fun!
Old February 26, 2001, 07:22 PM   #4
Ken DROVER

thanks for all of your help guys, the reloading info is great