The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

How to Cut, Crown Barrel

Hi, all!

I recently obtained a poorly sporterized Krag that could be reworked into a nice carbine-length hunting rifle. The barrel was cut to 24" which is too long for the now shortened stock, and it has an ugly ramp sight heat-shrunk on.

I plan to shorten it an additional 2", then recrown the barrel. I know how to use a round-headed brass screw with valve grinding compound in a drill chuck to bevel the rifling, but is there any easy way to bevel the outside edge of the muzzle so it appears rounded instead of flat? I am trying to avoid having to remove the barrel and chuck it in a lathe.

Thanks!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 26, 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Frankly, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith or find someone with a lathe to do the job right, including the inside crown. The shop where I worked had a neat lathe tool with the end shaped into a concave half moon. We set up the lathe to face the tool right into the end of the barrel so we could cut the whole crown, in and out, with one tool. (This requires a hollow headstock, though.)

You can rotate the barrel on a simple rest (a couple of boards with "V" cuts) and use a file, then finish with emery cloth, but I don't guarantee the results.

Jim
Old July 26, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

While expensive for a one-time use, Brownell's sell a hand tool just for this.
It's used with a hand drill:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...908-615&s=3551
Old July 28, 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

Thanks, Dfariswheel, looks like just what I need!

Yeah, buying one for one use is a bummer, but I doubt that a gunsmith would remove the barrel and chuck it in a lathe for $25!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 28, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

If the lathe's spindle bore is large enough, the entire barreled action can be chucked in the lathe.
Old July 29, 2008, 10:14 AM   #6
KEN K

If you have a belt sander that you can mount upside down you can simply roll the barrle in your hands and bevel it or round it, then go to a polishing wheel.
make sure you check the cut with a good square all the way around before you do anything to the crown or outside bevel.