The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2005, 09:12 AM   #1
nin1974

KNOXX COPstock

has anyone used this yet?? Planning on getting it for my future MOSS. 590A1....
Old October 2, 2005, 06:26 PM   #2
shecky

I tried it. Wasn't my cup of tea.

It was very well built, sturdy, cleverly thought out.

I was less enamored with the added girth at the hinge. And I was somewhat underwhelmed by the recoil reduction feature, the big selling feature for me. Perhaps it was the wire frame? Maybe the Specops stock would fare better in this department.
Old October 3, 2005, 02:11 PM   #3
Brother Jim

I bought a COPstock for my 870 a few weeks ago and the difference in recoil is huge. I originally had a hogue 12" LOP stock on it and when fired it for the first time it was not comfortable at all. getting a proper cheek weld meant getting smacked in the nose with the grip. with the cop stock installed I could rapid fire with 00 buck easily, even with the stock folded. Using just the pistol grip, i compared the recoil to my friend's 590, which had a factory pistol grip. after 1 shot with the mossberg my hand was slightly sore. i fired a box of 25 through my 870 and could easily have shot more. I highly recommend the cop stock. you could even get the breachers grip, as i had no trouble hitting COM without mounting the gun.
Old October 4, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Brother Jim

update

in case anyone is still interested...
went to the range today with 4 boxes (100) of #8 1/2 game loads and 2 boxes of rifled slugs. fired all of them, stock closed, stock open, one-handed like a big pistol...without a problem. the only problem i have is that since the gun moves in the grip, the trigger guard chafes on the side of my finger. other than this, no sore shoulder, hands felt fine and this is after 110 rounds. Definitely the best upgrade i can think of for a shotgun.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:29 PM   #5
nin1974

cool, thanks Brother Jim
Old October 5, 2005, 02:46 AM   #6
Shane916

2 places I found have the CopStock for $89.99

Cabelas

and

ImpactGuns
Old October 6, 2005, 04:41 PM   #7
chris in va

I believe Knoxx adjusted the hinge somewhat on the Cop so it won't chafe your thumb knuckle as bad like the first ones did.

Frankly if you don't plan on folding the wire, get one of the others they offer. That wire isn't the most comfortable thing to press your shoulder against. The system does work *very* well however.
Old October 6, 2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Brother Jim

I would have gotten one of their other stocks but i have really come to love the compactness of a folding stock. I never liked how big most shotguns were given their range, and short barreled folders seem to me to be the most sensible design for a close-range weapon. The only problem with most folders is that the stocks were uncomfortable and made the recoil feel more severe. This is not a problem with the knoxx stocks.