The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
30-30remchester

Colt Woodman gunsmith needed

I am looking for a Colt Woodsman gunsmith. What I am needing is a smith qualified to remove the barrel and weld up a dent in the breech face, then rechamber and reinstall. Anyone have any ideas?
Old December 9, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

What, is the barrel breech indented by dryfiring to the point you get misfires?

If so, welding will be a huge job, I don't know anybody who would undertake it. You might try Jim Milks at
http://innovativecustomguns.com/
He is carrying on the weld repairs that he used to do while working at EGW which has a tremendous reputation in the field. Don't know if he would care to work on a mere .22 though.

Is the dent still all there, with displaced metal cratered up and burred out into the chamber? If so, Brownells has a little tool that will roll the burr out and hopefully get enough metal under the rim at the firing pin to shoot.

If it is too bad for that or if somebody has filed off the burrs, you might look into having the whole barrel relined instead of welded. It is not cheap but it is a standard procedure, $175 from Alex Hamilton.
Old December 11, 2010, 08:37 PM   #3
30-30remchester

Thanks for the reply Jim I will give them a try. The old prewar Woodman was my guide gun during my guiding carrer. It has been with me for more years than I care to admit. Kinda attacted to that old gun though it doesnt have much bluing left and the checkering is flat. Just one day it started misfiring, upon close examination I noticed that a small piece of the breech face was missing. The area I call the anvil. Apparently after 75 years of hard use it finally had enough. The are no burrs in the chamber area like you would expect from dry firing. The many adventures I have had with this gun makes me want to get it back in the game. I have other Woodsmans of this era that are in far better condition but none have the panash this old warrior has. I was lucky before, when I lived close to a master gunsmith and former president of the custom gunmakers guild. All I had to do was bring a project to Jack and tell him I had finally found a project he probably couldnt do. That was all it took. I lost track of him as he moved away, however I did see him on tv, he was the proffesional witness that was interviewed in the Remington 700 trigger special. This old gun is like an old dog that I am wiling to spend money on to keep him alive.
Old December 11, 2010, 10:35 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't check their web site, but Gun Parts catalog shows new barrels for several models of Woodsman.

It depends on the model, but another way to skin that cat might be to pull the barrel, cut away the chipped place, then set the shoulder forward, replace the barrel and rechamber. Since there is no barrel lug (like on an S&W Revolver), setting the barrel back should not present any problems.

Jim
Old December 12, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

I also am in line suggesting Mr. Alex Hamilton at www.tenring.com
Old December 12, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Hey, I like the Keenan approach. Probably less expensive than a reline, if you can find somebody to take on the job. Which was your original question, and I do not have a name for you.
Old December 12, 2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Don't have a name but here's an idea

If you know your (go to guy's name and he sounds pretty famous) why not just do a google for his name and see if you can't come up with an address and/or other contact info?
Old December 13, 2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

Hey 30-30 if you are refering to Jack Weigand go to the American Pistol Smith Guild I believe you will find him listed there.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com