The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 25, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1
barnettamb

Private sale of a gun question

If I am privately selling a shotgun, is there anything I need to do paperwork wise, or do I just give them the gun and take the money?

By the way I live in Alabama.

Last edited by barnettamb; October 25, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old October 25, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Dave P

Paperwork in Dixie??

I am very sure you hand him the shotgun (assuming he lives in Alabama and you have no reason to think he is not legal to own it), he gives you green paper; you say "Thanks!" and "Goodbye"!
Old October 25, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3
TXAZ

I would still get a bill of sale. It's a small but easy CYA in the event the weapon is later traced to a crime after the sale.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 26, 2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ
I would still get a bill of sale.
The seller gives the bill of sale, he (she) doesn't receive it.
Old October 26, 2014, 12:25 AM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
TXAZ I would still get a bill of sale. It's a small but easy CYA in the event the weapon is later traced to a crime after the sale.
Nonsense.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 26, 2014, 12:43 AM   #6
barnettamb

thanks for the replies guys. I figured that it was that simple but I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate it.
Old October 26, 2014, 12:29 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Check your state laws.

Where you live, there is probably no paperwork required BUT don't just go on well meant internet advice.

In state, face to face sale, Federal law simply requires you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person, and compliance with all applicable state laws.

It is prudent that if the gun can be traced to you that you keep a record of where it went. If there is an investigation that leads to you, being able to say (and have some scrap of paper for proof) "yes, officer, I did own that gun, but I sold it to MR XYZ on 10/28/14. No, I haven't seen or heard from him since." can save you a lot of hassle.
Old October 26, 2014, 01:25 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
It is prudent that if the gun can be traced to you that you keep a record of where it went. If there is an investigation that leads to you, being able to say (and have some scrap of paper for proof) "yes, officer, I did own that gun, but I sold it to MR XYZ on 10/28/14. No, I haven't seen or heard from him since." can save you a lot of hassle.
+1

It takes 2 seconds and can save you some headaches down the road. It is far from nonsense as others have suggested.
Old October 26, 2014, 01:28 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
44 AMP .... Federal law simply requires you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person, and compliance with all applicable state laws.
That's not all.
Federal law only allows a nonlicensed person to buy or sell to another nonlicensee who is a resident of the same state.

Quote:
Do you really think a BOS will convince the officer to let you go on your merry way?

A Bill of Sale may offer benefit to the BUYER as proof of purchase, but in no way will a BOS insulate the seller from future "hassle".

Any police officer who accepts a BOS as proof that the firearm was sold is an idiot. Just as a note from your mom saying you are speeding home with lifesaving medicine for your dog........that won't get you out of a speeding ticket.

I can create a Bill of Sale for the Brooklyn Bridge in about five minutes......think that would convince anyone that I actually owned it or actually sold it?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 26, 2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
but in no way will a BOS insulate the seller from future "hassle".
It will if mr XYZ is guilty of the crime.
Old October 26, 2014, 02:14 PM   #11
mete

I knew a guy who sold a gun to someone he didn't know. Without paperwork.He then spent a full day with police and FBI learning about selling guns without paperwork - the buyer had used the gun in a crime . A little bit of caution can go a long way !
Old October 26, 2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
...Do you really think a BOS will convince the officer to let you go on your merry way?

A Bill of Sale may offer benefit to the BUYER as proof of purchase, but in no way will a BOS insulate the seller from future "hassle".

Any police officer who accepts a BOS as proof that the firearm was sold is an idiot...
No, it's not proof, nor is it guaranteed to protect a seller or buyer from hassle. But documentation of one's business transactions, especially if you can demonstrate that it is your regular practice to do so, can be useful corroboration. If you always maintain records of dealing business dealings 99.99% of the time you'll have no need for them. But it's one's habit of keeping records that makes the record useful for supporting (even if not conclusively) his story the the one time in ten thousand he needs his story to be believed.

In my years of practicing law I've seen a lot of hassle avoided or minimized by good record keeping habits.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 26, 2014, 04:50 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
mete I knew a guy who sold a gun to someone he didn't know. Without paperwork.He then spent a full day with police and FBI learning about selling guns without paperwork - the buyer had used the gun in a crime . A little bit of caution can go a long way !
Which proves WHAT exactly? Is there any evidence that if he had a BOS the day would have gone differently? The answer is no.

I've had four customers that had firearms traced back to them and not a one had a BOS to use as an excuse.........and NONE spent a night in jail or even took a ride downtown.

And it's not illegal under Federal law to sell guns "without paperwork" unless the seller is a licensed dealer.

Old October 26, 2014, 05:51 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I've had four customers that had firearms traced back to them and not a one had a BOS to use as an excuse.........and NONE spent a night in jail or even took a ride downtown.
I've seen much the same.

Essentially, a prosecutor would have to prove the seller knew the buyer was disqualified at the time of sale. There's no real burden of proof on the seller.
Old October 26, 2014, 07:46 PM   #15
raimius

Quote:
And it's not illegal under Federal law to sell guns "without paperwork" unless the seller is a licensed dealer.
True, but why wouldn't you want a point of reference to help the police track down the person who left a firearm at the scene of a crime?
Old October 26, 2014, 10:02 PM   #16
skizzums

just sell it. get paid with cash. skip the paperwork and sell w/o BOS which is YOUR LEGAL RIGHT! why take that away from ourselves? I sell em all the time face-to-face, no issues.