The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1
frjeff

RCBS 5-0-5 Scale Calibration??

I am brand new to this hobby and just received a used subject scale I purchased.

If I "zero" all of the three poise, should not the beam pointer point directly at the zero on the dial plate?

Mine, when I do this, (with pan in tray) is pointing significantly above the "0".

What can I do??

Jeff

Whoops, I just noticed the level leg. If I screw it way out, I can get the beam pointer to point to zero.
But, at what points on the scale do I check for level?
Old June 20, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
margiesex

scale

Hello: I have a model "M" scale, and there is a screw on the left side - of the scales base. You can see it, but you have to look for it. That screw, as you turn it in or out, will effect your bar centering. Chances are, you table is not level and this screw will adjust the entire scale to make up the difference in angle. Keep adjusting the screw until the pointer is centered on "zero." It is important to do this EVERY time you move the scale, as it may change angel as you move it from table to table, or even on the same table.

Usually, there is only a small adjustment needed and the scale will balance out.

God luck with it! And welcome to hand loading!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old June 20, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
LHB1

Jeff,
The Leveling screw is for fine tuning/leveling the scale with all poises set at zero as you described. If more than just a little adjustment is required, you can calibrate the scale by adding/removing very small shot or other small metal objects in the two part pan. The pan on my 10-10 (very similar to the 5-0-5) can be taken apart by removing screw in pan bottom. Remember that the full pan and internal ballast weights MUST be in position to calibrate the scale.

Some people try to fully level the base of scale and then zero scale. In 40+ years of safe reloading, I have not found it necessary to go to that extreme. Unless the table surface is EXTREMELY canted, simply using the scale leveling screw to zero the scale pointer with all poises set at zero has been sufficient IME.
Old June 20, 2009, 05:11 PM   #4
frjeff

Scale Calibration

Thanks margiesex and LHB1.

How dumb I am.....

I could hear the shot rolling around in the pan holder, but never thought to add or remove a piece.

Didn't have any shot lying around, but a very tiny piece of plastic did the trick.

Dead on zero'd now!!

Fr. Jeff+
Old June 21, 2009, 09:14 AM   #5
42769vette

Scale Calibration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks margiesex and LHB1.

How dumb I am.....

I could hear the shot rolling around in the pan holder, but never thought to add or remove a piece.

Didn't have any shot lying around, but a very tiny piece of plastic did the trick.

Dead on zero'd now!!

since you are new ill let you in on a secret. thats not the worst mistake you will make. and if it is your a luck man. when i started i when as far as to say "i dont need a bullet puller ill just be careful" ya right.

and one more thing you got a hell of a scale. i got that exact scale about 1-2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier
Old June 21, 2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Stargazer

I bought a 5-0-5 scale a good 25 years ago. It had gotten dusty so I decided to clean it some. Somehow I messed it up, still can't figure out where but it was way off and would not balance. I sent it back to RCBS for repair expecting to receive a bill or an estimate. Nope, a new one showed up on my doorstep straight from Ohaus Scale Company. That is some swell customer service IMHO.

M70 Web Page