The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2001, 08:09 PM   #1
lodi

I have been picking up .45 brass every time I go shooting wether mine or the guy before me.I plan on buying a dillon press soon as I can find one.How do I know if the reason the guy before me did not pick up his brass is because he has reloaded it to many times ?? can I tell by looking ??
Thanks for the help. Steve
Old February 7, 2001, 09:20 PM   #2
MikeFromIowa

You don't have to check. No reloader that I know would ever leave brass on the range, even the stuff they aren't going to reload again. Picking up brass gets to be such a habit its automatic...Besides, none of the guys I know would leave "unusable" brass laying around, because they wouldn't want you to load with it if they weren't going to.
Seriously, I think with .45ACP you should be safe, as long as the brass looks fairly new and isn't split at the case mouth or exhibiting a "ring" or "smile" near the base of the casing where the indentation for extraction starts.
--Mike From Iowa
Old February 7, 2001, 11:57 PM   #3
Keith J

Not to worry

I've reloaded .45 brass soo much it completely lost its headstamping.

As long as it chambers and looks good, its fine.

Your best bet is to pick up new stuff, like the kind with the red lacquer sealant visible. Most ranges have policies against it but if you reload, what can they do if you are safe about it?
Old February 8, 2001, 02:41 AM   #4
Sub MOA

Must respectfully disagree with MikefromIowa. Most reloaders are conscientous enough to discard bad brass, but not all. I stumbled onto what first appeared to be a great haul of .40 at the range about a year ago. Not wanting to waste time, I swept them into a nice neat pile them scooped them up for inspection at home. Over 150 pieces, various headstamps, and approx. %90 of it with bulging at the web so excessive as to not even warrant breaking out the caliper. There was no way to tell how many times this brass had been loaded hot and fed into an unsupported chamber. I like my hands and firearms just the way they are. Dropping these in the waste basket wasn't too difficult a choice.

All this being said, the vast majority of pistol brass found on the range will be perfectly safe to reload. Simply make it a habit to inspect brass carefully and toss it if you've got any doubt. Why cause a safety issue trying to save a couple bucks worth of brass? You'll most certainly find more on your next trip.

Sub
Old February 8, 2001, 05:19 AM   #5
Patrick Graham

My guess is that I've go some 45 acp brass that has been reloaded 75 times. I can't read the headstamp anymore on some of it.
Old February 8, 2001, 10:13 AM   #6
Jager1

It is up to you

I only pick up range empties if I see the shooter loading from a box of factory ammunition. I do not/will not pick up mixed headstamp lots or any brass that has been reloaded because it may be quite 'used' as mentioned above. I always ask the shooter if they are going to claim their brass. If not, I reap the benefit. I also have shot the same brass up to about 30 times and have left it laying at the range since it had passed my threshold for use. Anyone who picks up mixed headstamp brass at the range must be VERY careful. If you are just getting started, I suggest you only use cases that you can ascertain the history of.
Old February 8, 2001, 11:07 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

.45 is much like .38. If you don't hot rod it, (and most .45 loads aren't hot rod loads at all), the cases will last virtually forever.

I've got some .38 Spl. brass that have 50+ reloads on them. I use them for lightish plinking loads, and don't crimp.

As for .45, I've just started reloading for this, so I'll let you know in a couple years how they're doing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 8, 2001, 12:15 PM   #8
jtduncan

I always ask.

But just discard the cracked or buldged 45 cases. i also don't pick up the really dirty cases too. If you tumble your own brass plus once fired brass, you can cut an hour off of the tumbling time.

If I retumble my brass, an hour and a half is all I need. but if it's really filthy range brass that been reloaded, my tumbler runs for a good 3 hours before I get it sparkling.

Pick it up and don't worry.

I've even trained no-relaoders to sweep their brass back to the wall so I can pick through it instead of sweeping it out past the firing line.

Got to love yuppies and newbies. They don't reload and always want to help you scoop up their brass so you can svae some bucks.
Old February 8, 2001, 07:36 PM   #9
9x45

.45acp brass is easy to check. It fails from either splitting the case wall, or it will be abnormally buldged. Even split cases may be fired, but you can't get the bulges to resize.
Old February 8, 2001, 10:52 PM   #10
lodi

Thanks that is what I was hoping to here.
Old February 9, 2001, 12:53 AM   #11
Karsten

Lodi
Just check the brass. Watch for cracked cases in the neck and the base. I loaded way hot to shoot IPSC and I still threw very few cases out and I have no idea how many times they have been loaded. I am sure I have brass (Milsurp) from WW2 but it still works.
Karsten

[Edited by Karsten on 02-09-2001 at 12:14 PM]
Old February 11, 2001, 11:00 PM   #12
lodi

My gun I noticed puts a sharp little burr on the shell casing on the back egde I juess this is from the exstactor is this normal ??
Old February 12, 2001, 05:21 AM   #13
Bud Helms

Small nicks and gouges around the rim are normal after repeated reloadings and firings. It is possible that your extractor is not fitted just exactly right, but if the brass is flying, don't fix it.
Old February 12, 2001, 06:02 AM   #14
HandloaderJohn

Inspect it... clean it...load it...inspect it..shoot it..., I love loading up 45acp with head stamps that are dated in the 60s, the stuff just keeps on going, I have never had a prob with it. God bless the shooter who leaves 45 brass behind for little ole me.
5.3 gr of 231 and a 230 hardball do it for me.

Old February 12, 2001, 07:57 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

Case neck tension......

LEE "U" undersized Carbide sizing die.......

Safety first.
Old February 12, 2001, 01:01 PM   #16
TVDean

Testing

Testing this, BTT.