The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
AshHaas

Recoil Pad for 870 Express Youth

I recently purchased a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Youth for home defense. Now I want to make it a little more forgiving for my wife to shoot. Does anyone have a recommendation for a recoil pad?

If I HAVE to I'll go with a slip-on or a grind-to-fit, but I'd prefer it if anyone knows of a brand that makes a pre-fit pad for this model.

Thanks,

-Ash
Old December 15, 2009, 06:01 AM   #2
zippy13

Since you have a Remington, why not consider their new SuperCell Recoil Pad? It comes in several sizes to fit popular Remington stocks.
http://www.remington.com/superCell/
Old December 15, 2009, 06:15 AM   #3
Homerboy

If the size of the stock pad is the same as the size of a standard stock pad, I would say get a Limbsaver. They make one for the 870. I have one. Works well. If not, get the Remington pad. Basically the same as the limbsaver, but i have heard the fit isn't as nice.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Quickdraw Limpsalot

The SuperCell is nothing like the Limbsaver. Totally different materials. Maybe you mean the older R3 recoil pad (made by Limbsaver) but those have been replaced by the better (IMO) SuperCell pads that work very well and won't melt in your safe.
Old December 15, 2009, 01:01 PM   #5
AshHaas

Remington and Limbsaver

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately, the closest model from Limbsaver says "non-express" on it. I bought it anyway (Remington Youth Wood, Non-Express #10003) to test it out, and it is too large.

Remington recoil pads are for a limited selection of models, none of which are the 870 Express Youth. I called the Remington parts customer service line to confirm this. He recommended a grind-to-fit, which, as I stated, is what I'll fall back on if I have to, but I'm still hoping to find a pre-fit model.

Any other ideas out there?
Old December 15, 2009, 04:17 PM   #6
zippy13

Go with the Remington SuperCell -- you won't be the first person to have to grind a pad --- and, you won't be the last. While you're at it, this is a great opportunity to add spacers, as may be required, to give your wife's gun the correct length of pull for her.
Old December 16, 2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Scattergun Bob

AshHaas

Another answer might be the Remington Adjustable Length of Pull System, that well served a couple of gals at the skeet club. Follow the link http://www.remington.com/products/ac...ull_system.asp

In my experience LOP has a lot to do with felt recoil. Both too short and too long a pull seems to be equal culprits.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 18, 2009, 03:16 AM   #8
AshHaas

Thanks

Thanks for all the help; I ended up taking my wife's shotgun to a local gunsmith. He's measured the LOP for her and is adding a grind-to-fit pad as well.

I'm not helpless when it comes to crafting things myself (in fact I'm making her a leather butt-stock shell holder). I just don't want my first fitted pad to be on my wife's first gun. It may be mostly for home defense, but I definitely have an alternate agenda in getting her interested in guns and shooting, and I don't want the pride she has in her gun hindered by a do-it-yourself looking pad.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Ash

Tags
remington shotgun