The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 11, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1
noelf2

Replica baby dragoon repair...

A recent post about a baby dragoon got me thinking about the one I've been neglecting. It's an old (perhaps early 70's) FIE import from Italy. There's some jiggle between the barrel and brass frame, does not fit up very tight. I don't think the problem is the wedge by itself, because I can see that the base pin is a bit buggered up around the wedge slot, and the pin may be a bit bent because the cylinder doesn't slide on easily.

Question is, how do I remove the base pin? Is there a trick to it? Also, with only "FIE Italy" stamped on it I'm wondering who actually made it and "might" have a replacement base pin.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Hawg

I'd smooth out the buggered areas and check straightness with a straight edge.
Do you have shake with the wedge driven all the way in? If so you may need a new wedge. I don't think I'd want to try to remove the arbor from a brass frame.
Old December 11, 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

What Hawg said.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 11, 2008, 02:54 PM   #4
noelf2

Yep, tried smoothing, and shake is with the wedge all the way in. I can slightly rock the barrel up and down. There can be a gap where the barrel assembly lines up with the pins on the brass frame, but if I put downward pressure on the muzzle of the barrel, the gap will close. Lift on the muzzle, and the gap comes back (about 1/16th inch gap). When the base pin/arbor slides into it's hole on the barrel assembly, it isn't a snug fit, like the diameter of the wedge end of the arbor is a bit too small for the diameter of the hole (if that makes sense). The wedge does fit loosly as well, but it doesn't look worn. Perhaps it's just a lost cause. Pretty little gun though. Nice engraving on the barrel, brass, and cylinder.

Last edited by noelf2; December 11, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old December 11, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Hawg

I'd try a new wedge. If the one you have isn't worn maybe it isn't correct for the gun.
Old December 11, 2008, 04:23 PM   #6
arcticap

If that doesn't work, maybe the holes can be worked on and adjusted for proper alignment with a custom fitted wedge.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Fingers McGee

If the slot in the arbor is too big (long) so a fully seated wedge doesn't tighten the barrel/frame up, there is a repair procedure that drills the end of the arbor, taps the hole and installs an allen screw that can be adjusted to make the slot smaller and results in tightening the barrel/frame connection.

I've never done it - dont have the requisite tools - but have seen it done on a couple C&Bs years ago.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 12, 2008, 04:20 PM   #8
noelf2

Fingers that's a great idea. I have a tap and die set and I think I'll give that a try. I'll round off the end of the allen screw so it doesn't scrape the wedge too much.
Old December 12, 2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Hawg

I've not seen it done personally but have heard about it being done with good results. I'd forgotten about it till Fingers brought it up. Once you get it set you might want to put some loctite on it to keep it from backing out.