The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 01:19 PM   #1
camsdaddy

Commit to a platform

I was talking to a friend the other day and I was telling him I am tired of flip flopping platforms and I want to pick one and really train. I am going in a few days and we are going to do some range work to help me find where I should place my focus. The guns I will be taking are a 642, 3" Model 13 k frame, Glock 19 and a S&W 3913.
3913 - Slim, accurate, and having owned the longest amount of time Im familar with it. The only downside I find is the transition from DA to SA.
642 - easy to carry in any position and all the time. I feel if I can put shots on target then 5 will be enough. I dont worry so much dominate hand at self defense distance but weak hand and at more utility distance my accuracy falls off.
13 - again there is capacity but Im confident I can place rounds on target. Guns only had 100 rounds through it and I cant bring myself to put it in kydex.I am a little hesitant to carry this gun only because its too nice and I worry about working a blued gun. This one is a top contender.
Glock 19 - Accuracy, capacity and I have the most holsters and mags etc to accomadate. The only thing I dont like about the 19 is I wish the barrel was shorter for AIWB because it presses against a nerve in my leg but so does the 3913.

I have owned a 26 and for some reason I always let it go. I for some reason convince myself that I shoot my 19 better and "there isnt that much difference" between the two. However with the 19 pressing against my nerve causing pain that maybe there is difference. Also the height difference makes a 26 dissapear in deep cover such as a smartcarry or belly band as well as only under a t shirt. I am wondering if I should commit to training with the 26. If there will be times that I carry my 642 instead of my 19 maybe it would make since to have and train with a 26. I like the 19 and will carry it I just know there are times like during the work week that I cant swing it. With a 26 I have 10 in stock mag and 15-17 in a spare mag. Instead of 5 in gun and 5-10 on speed strips. Dont get me wrong none of these guns are going any where. I just think its time to pick my poison and stick with it. Size, capacity, round count etc. its hard to beat Im just trying to decide it a 26 is it.

The deciding factor is going to be if I run the revolver or the semi better in defense drills.
We will see
Old October 11, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2
moxie

If it's going to be a holster gun as i think you've indicated, then the 19 or 26 are the clear leaders IMO. They are the same platform, so training is easy. Just wear the one appropriate to your garb. If pocket carry, then the 642 for sure.

I think you already know this and you also know the Glocks will do way better in defense drills.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Bob Wright

Commit to a platform

I already have. Its a little weak, but better than what we've got now!

Bob Wright
Old October 11, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Yeah, those Democrats need to go!
Old October 11, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Buzzcook

And be replaced by the same idiots that wrecked the economy in the first place?
Old October 11, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
camsdaddy

Please dont let this go political.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Webleymkv

When I use the word "platform" referring to guns, I'm not talking about one specific model but rather a type of handgun encompassing many models with similar features. As such, I would consider your 642 and M13 to be the same "platform" because they're both S&W revolvers and, as such, have nearly identical manuals-of-arms (the only difference being the lack of SA on the 642).

If you look at it that way, you don't have to limit yourself to just one gun because many of the fundamentals you'll practice with the 642 will also carry over to the M13 and vice-versa. Likewise, if you decide that you want to add more guns to your carry rotation, there is a plethora of other S&W revolvers in different sizes and calibers that will also share the same manual-of-arms.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

a good portion of the shooters here don't like the word "platform" there was a recient thread about "the" word...

if you are wanting to use one gun type, I think for people that don't shoot often, or as much as the real "gunny" types here, that you will improve your weapon awareness & familiarity...

a dumb ass like me, that shoots just about any & every type of weapon pretty often, seem like things come pretty 2nd nature... I have guns that I can shoot faster & more accurately, that get practiced more often... ( like my CAS Rugers )... but I can pretty much pick up most "platforms", & draw, shoot & holster them with ease... maybe not quite as fast as the ones I practice speed drill with...

but I guess personally I don't want to limit myself to not looking at & or shooting anything new that comes along, or the chance to become familiar with & shoot alot of the antique guns I love to shoot
Old October 11, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

Nice reply WEBLEY
Old October 11, 2012, 02:53 PM   #10
camsdaddy

I agree with everything mentioned. If I stick to the 13 I will bob the hammer that way it will be DAO (for the most part) just like my 4" k frame and my 642. If I go Glock I will aquire another 26. I have spent a lot of money trying the latest and greatest only to move on shortly. I want to be able to focus on ammo and practice more than getting accustom to something new. I am sorry I really didnt mean to use the word platform didnt know.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Mobuck

Although I don't have any problem switching between revolver and semiauto, I DO have a problem switching from a decock only pistol to a decock/safety pistol. I've found myself reholstering a safety model with the safety on and don't flip it off when drawing. That "click" or just a disconnected trigger is ominous.
I may shoot the safety pistols for practice, but I don't carry them.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:17 PM   #12
camsdaddy

I never engage the decocker/safety on my 3913. Its point and shoot. I dont want to have to think about it though.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
g.willikers

My unsolicited advice is not to overly focus on just one type, but to practice with various types of guns until all are useful.
There's no guarantee that, if shtf, you will even be using yours.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:44 PM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
My unsolicited advice is not to overly focus on just one type, but to practice with various types of guns until all are useful.
There's no guarantee that, if shtf, you will even be using yours.

Sound advice. I've found that differences in speed and accuracy vary as much between different models within the same platform as they do between different platforms. Giving up on a platform because of poor performance from a specific model can mean you may miss the opportunity some day to find the gun that performs the best for you, regardless of platform. IMHO, you have too few firearms within the two platforms to make a concrete determination if the advantage in performance is because of the model or the platform.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

It was a joke. Bob understands.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
PT-92

Quote:
camsdaddy

Commit to a platform...
Bingo. That's it in a nutshell (once determined what suits you).

Sounds simple, right? And I would guess "most" CCW'ers indeed subscribe to this philosophy as well. But I have to tell you, I personally know of more than one person that changes their respective CCW piece more often than some women I know change shoes or hairdos. I agree with most who are critical of this.