The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #26
Fat White Boy

I was pig hunting on the Tejon Ranch just north of Los Angeles. I was walking across a hill when a cow elk walked out of a brush thicket 10 yards below me... She never knew we were there...
Old October 27, 2009, 11:04 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Four meters. We paced it out. It was in heat and had come crashing through the brush into my back yard. I didn't know what the heck was going on, and I grabbed my gun.

It burst through the brush and I shot. It went about six steps before falling.

Funny sidenote: a few years ago, I was shooting with friends at a rural outdoor range. In the middle of a string, a buck walked right in front of the backstop. Everyone just froze. After about twenty seconds, he noticed all the humans with guns and bolted.

It was odd that nobody shot, but when we talked about it later, everyone seemed to think that doing so would have been somehow "wrong."
Old October 28, 2009, 12:42 AM   #28
zahnzieh

Does hitting them with spit count? Had a stupid spike buck below me in the creek under my stand. I was tempted to spit on his ears - "hmm smells like human!" I let him go.
Old October 28, 2009, 12:50 AM   #29
Rangefinder

How about point-blank? Had a broken scope mount on my 7mm the night before I left for a hunt. Had to take my .32 Winchester instead. Tied my guilly suit full of orange marking ribbon, flopped out at the edge of a willow stand, and had a young whitetail walk right up, sniff me, and then graze right next to me. No aiming necessary, I literally scorched hair on his side with hot gas from the muzzle.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:59 AM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
In the middle of a string, a buck walked right in front of the backstop.

It was odd that nobody shot, but when we talked about it later, everyone seemed to think that doing so would have been somehow "wrong."
Yesterday 11:54 PM
HEY! Call me Jack Kevorkian... Dude wants to commit suicide... Who am I to stop him...
Brent
Old October 28, 2009, 08:49 AM   #31
Uncle Buck

I shot three deer with-in 25 feet of me. The first one was a doe, the biggest of the three. I shot her and she fell, the two yearlings with her ran off. Then they stopped and came back to her. I shot one of them and then the third one ran off a ways. When it walked back to the two dead deer I shot that one also.
The two were most definitely yearlings and probably dressed out to no more than 80 pounds. But they tasted the best. The does probably dressed out at around 120 pounds.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:17 AM   #32
UniversalFrost

last year was the closest with a rifle at 20feet (paced it off). was a nice big arizona coues buck that followed my scent trail right to me (from behind).

with archery shot a big buck that was standing right under my stand (i was 15ft up), but he was 0 feet away my tree. I had to lean way out on my safety harness and nailed him righ between the shoulders and hit the spine and instant KO! luckily i had actually practiced this type of shot a week before, because I had a lot of big does the year before stand or bed under my tree and didn't shoot the previous year because I never tried a shot like that and didn't want to wound a deer.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old October 28, 2009, 02:25 PM   #33
tater134

Closest deer Ive shot was at about 40yrds but an uncle of mine got one at about 25ft a few years ago when ran out of the woods during a drive.
Old October 28, 2009, 02:49 PM   #34
StiveC2007

Well seening how both times ive shot at dee ive missed, the closest ive ever gotten to a deer was about a lil less than 5 yards and it was a doe, I was sitting in a ground blind i had built she didnt even see me. I didnt shoot her too small. and ive had a deer almost jump on me when i was walking threw some high grass
Old October 28, 2009, 03:18 PM   #35
elkman06

0 yds..Knife, head..
elkman06

Oops, not a shot..edit

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

Last edited by elkman06; October 28, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:14 PM   #36
sc928porsche

About 20 feet. 300WM. I was in transit on my way back to camp and stopped to sit and eat an apple in fairly dense wooded area. Late morning about 11 am.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:07 PM   #37
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

20 yards, spike buck. He had jumped the fence 65 yards in front of me and was walking right toward me limping a little, it was so small I put my gun down. Then he came over the little rise in front of my blind and I realized it was the deer that had been shot at by a black powder hunter and he had blown the knee off. Its leg was only held on by a small strip of hide and I knew it was a dead deer so I picked up my 308 and snapped off a shot, blew his heart apart. I apologized to the butcher for bringing in such a small deer but he laughed and said it was pretty good sized compared to some that had been brought in that day. I guess it was just baby deer day.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 28, 2009, 07:32 PM   #38
treg

Several in the 10 - 20 foot range while stalking corn fields. Haven't done that for years.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:51 PM   #39
rmocarsky

8 paces

On the ground.

Leaning against a tree.

Mature woods.

12 ga. 1100 fully rifled barrel, open sights.

'bout half hour earlier fired on a buck (nice one too) about 75 yards away, and watched it haul a** out the woods and across the bean field, about 400 yards into woods on other side and heard 3 shots.

Leaning against the tree wishing he'd been closer for about 1/2 hour when from behind the tree comes a little spike buck heading for the bean field.

Only thing . . . he had to get past me.

He didn't.

When friends came up and saw where the deer lay, they couldn't believe that I had not dragged it there.

Nope. That's where it fell. 8 paces.

One shot.

Rmocarsky
Old October 28, 2009, 08:20 PM   #40
awaveritt

Don't know if sitting in a tree counts as a blind or stand but I took whitetail spike from 10 yards with a 130gr. 270 win Nosler PARTITION. At that range the bullet didn't seem to open up much and the deer ran about 50 yards before dropping. I always smile over the irony of having a flat-shooting 270 and finding my target of opportunity right under my feet.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:21 PM   #41

My first eight point was shot from about 12 yards away. I did the deed with a Remington 870 Express using a 3" Winchester sabot. It wasn't that it was that close when I shot it. It's that when it ran after the shot, it ran right for the tree I was sitting near. As the deer ran by me, I could have reached out and touched his side.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:30 PM   #42
williamd

15 steps. Muley in B.C. Walking a trail early in fog, dead calm. Muley materialized out of the fog (as I did to him I suppose). He just lowed his head and kept walking toward me. It was rut so I did not know what he had in mind .... so bang, right in the forehead. Dropped like a rock. Then, I realized I was shaking.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:43 PM   #43
flyboy14

Shot one of my doe antelope this year at 32 yards with a 308, and my buck at about 12 yards with a 7mm rem mag. Was sighted in at 300 yards, guess I was over prepared, and over gunned! Both of em were drt. Both guns made quite a mess out of the boiler room. flyboy
Old October 28, 2009, 08:59 PM   #44
bcarver

about one truck length

i didn't measure but it was close.
That is why I keep my scope on 2.5 power.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:22 AM   #45
Brasscatcher84

I took my first buck at about 12' with a 20 gauge slug at the tender age of eight.

Step-dad put me in a tree(no stand) in the middle of a small grassy clearing with a single-shot New England Firearms shotgun. I was exercizing poor hunting discipline and wasn't paying attention behind me, and this young 4-point buck walked almost directly under me. I took aim, thumbed the hammer as quietly as I could and got him right between the shoulder blades at a downward angle. He dropped where he stood.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:55 PM   #46
SavageSniper

Danger close. Had one run out on me during a dog hunt. I do not know if it did not see me or had plans on taking me out. I shot him with a singleshot stevens 12 ga, 36in full choked barrel #1 buckshot. I do not know the exact range, but the wadding was stuck in the hair.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:49 AM   #47
hardluk1

Shot a camp meat doe at 20 feet ,had to circle the scope at 2.5 power and noting but fur,fire, deer down. Also shot a doe at 20feet straight down with a pistol out of a climbing stand a couple years before. And one doe straight down with a bow if that counts.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:29 PM   #48
critter44

1. Three steps with a .54 cal ML.
2. Five steps with a T/C Contender 30-30.
3. Twenty five yards with Win M70, 300 win mag and 6X scope. Could see only hair through the scope.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #49
plainsman456

I shot a buck at 14 feet with my 270 win.It un-zipped his hide on his belly.Good Luck
Old October 30, 2009, 07:20 PM   #50
James R. Burke

It was raining, and I was standing under a tree to stay dry. A nice 8 point buck walked in front of me so close I had to wait to lift the rifle up. It was about 30 feet by the time he walked by, and I got the rifle up.