The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Blondie

2 Questions for New Deer Hunter

Just want to confirm my decisions.

First, I am about to buy a new scope for deer hunting. I could get an adjustable objective scope or non-adj obj scope... I have decided to not get the adjustable objective scopes for deer hunting. What do you think? Does any one really need an adjustable objective scope on a 270win for deer???

Second, I am going to spend a bunch of money on camo and have decided to get Browning brand stuff... is this stuff worth the money, or should I just get the Basspro Redhead stuff.

I am new to deer hunting and look forward to your help. Thanks.

Blondie
Old September 26, 2006, 10:40 PM   #2
rem33

no & no
Old September 26, 2006, 11:16 PM   #3
nico

I'd take some of the money you plan on spending for camo and put it toward the scope. A 3-9X40 scope is worthwhile IMO (the 9x is useful for sighting in or on the off chance that you get a long shot with a stable rest), but a 3x or 4x scope would work fine. The cost of your hunting clothes (excluding boots) doesn't need to be more than ~$200, if that much.
Old September 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Adjustable objective ==> NO. If the deer is far away, parallax is fine. If the deer is close, the parallax error present is more than overcome by the largish target size (vital zone), combined with the closeness of the target.

AO scopes are best on precision shooting (rimfires, airguns) for close-in shooting (under 30 yards), or for target rifles.

Hunting clothes ==> It depends on where you are, and how much warmth you need, and if the Brownings are better at keeping your warm than the others. But probably no - I wouldn't even get redhead - just stuff from academy or walmart is fine. Good warm clothes you can find a better deal on, if their not "hunting" clothes, and marketed as such. Then you can put a cheap camo thin (oversized) jacket and pants over the good warm clothes (if you want camo) in cold weather, and just by themselves in warmer weather.

My standard advice to new hunters, as a bonus: If using a climbing or strap-on stand, ALWAYS, always, always use your harness - unless you're less than 6 feet off the ground. And unload your gun before pulling it up to your stand.
Old September 27, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
ENC

According to my wife I am a spaz.

Most of my hunting clothes don't make it one season. I buy the cheapest stuff Walmart has on clearance after hunting season save it all year and then promptly tear it up crossing fences, falling down, getting wet, laying in the mud, crawling through the briars, and spilling breakfast.

The only clothes I spend $$ on is boots and socks. Several hundred for boots and at least 15 for a pair of socks.

they last for years.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:57 AM   #6
9mm1033

It's illegal to rifle hunt here in Ohio, so I can't address your scope question. But, regarding camo. I buy the brand that will blend into my woods. As you know, there are many pattern shades on the market. Not all woods are created equal. Some have more browns and blacks, others a shade towards green, such as pine forests. I also mix and match. The coat may be a camo brown/black branch design and the pants more towards the greener leaves pattern. Looks a little goofy to humans, but it breaks up your outline when standing still. Another thing to consider is the thick 'briar-free' pants. Usually not in camo, but great for walking through thick briar bushes or dense cover areas. Regarding costs. Buy cheap and it will not last. In the woods, you need quality gear. Not the big brand name stuff, but not the cheapy price brands. It will tear and more important, it will be NOISY! Silence is your friend when deer hunting.
Old September 27, 2006, 08:19 AM   #7
springmom

I'd get the best scope I could

This year you are only hunting deer. However, in a few years, if the idea of an elk hunt starts nagging at you, you will want that good scope. Look at it this way: "too much scope for deer" isn't going to make you MISS the deer, but if you decide to use that rifle for something bigger and further away, well, you have a good scope already.

Camo...there's a thread on this board ongoing as to whether it is even necessary, and somebody noted that since deer don't see color, a really loud Hawaiian shirt with lots of flowers on it will serve just fine, although others suggest olive drab or tan. When I went out scouting last week, I wore brown or olive slacks and a drab green tee shirt. Just wash the stuff in the special laundry soap that kills scent, and don't put any fabric softener in the water or dryer sheets in the dryer. You don't want to smell like Febreeze in the woods I wear Mossy Oak lightweight camo early in the season when it's often as not still HOT down here (southeast Texas) and I have heavier Realtree Hardwoods for later on.

+1 on the GOOD BOOTS. They will make all the difference between having a fun day and being utterly miserable. Likewise, good socks.

Welcome to the addiction!

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 27, 2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Clayfish

I'm agreing with most of the other guys here. You don't need an adjustable scope but you do have more of a selection if you go with a 3-9x. I wouldn't go with anything bigger unless you are shooting long ranges from a supported position. I sight my scope in at the 9x setting and then crank it down to about the 4x for hunting. The only clothing I would recomend spending alot of money on is your boots. If your feet are cold or wet or both you will be miserable and can't hunt as long. get a good pair of waterproof boots and don't worry about expensive camo. Camo is really not that important at all. Get the cheap wallyworld stuff and you'll be fine.
Old September 27, 2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always made do with an old Army field jacket and usually old khakis, for "camo". I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Any old dull, earth-toned clothes will do. Cheaper is better.

.270? If you just gotta go with a single magnification, 4X is good. I used a Weaver K4 on mine until I traded into a 3x9x40. Been using the 3x9 ever since 1973. I leave it on 3X when walking-hunting or sneaking around; 5X or so if sitting. 9X for sight-in and load-testing.

Art
Old September 27, 2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Fremmer

Skip the adjustable objective. You won't need it for deer hunting, and if the objective needs to be adjusted, the deer is too far away to shoot. Just get a 2-7 or a 3-9 and you'll do fine.

I bought Browning hunting boots last year. They are good boots, and I would buy other Browning gear. Make sure you get good boots and gloves. If it gets cold or wet where you hunt, everything should be gore tex so that it is waterproof and still breathes. You don't have to spend too much; wait for the stuff to go on sale.
Old September 27, 2006, 09:46 AM   #11
FrontSight

All I use is adj power - 3x9, wouldn't be happy with anything else, and usually leave it on 9, I don't have a problem finding things in the scope like most people complain about...and I like to get up cloe & personal - helps me with the thick brush to pick a good spot to aim for.

most important things about clothing for me: comfort (read "warm!") and scentlock and goretex (read "dry!"). most clothes with those features will last you a long, long time, and is money well spent imo
Old September 27, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Desertfox

Start your camo collection out by visiting the local Army Surplus store.
25 bucks should buy you a good top/bottom suit in good camo.

Remember, its the game you are hiding from, not your buddy you are trying to impress with your camo.
Old September 27, 2006, 01:01 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Oh yeah, to follow up on the good boots thing that springmom mentions....I don't know where you are or how cold it gets, but if it's pretty cold (if under 20 deg F, and especially if under 10 degrees), you want those boots about 1.5 to 2 full sizes larger than you normally wear so that you can fit in a GOOD lambswool thick sock, AND some chemical toe warmers, AND have some dead air space "to boot", as an additional insulator. And you need a good head and neck covering - the head and neck is where 80% to 90% of your heat escapes your body. Fleece stuff works well - stuff for skiing and cold weather in general is often cheaper than stuff in *hunting* stores.

Also, look at this thread here for a lot of good tips on hunting:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=218859

Quote:
Start your camo collection out by visiting the local Army Surplus store.
Once upon a time, that was great advice. But depending upon where you are, it's notsomuch anymore. In this area, the so-called "army surplus" type stores have nothing but new, Phillipine- and China-made junk, way overpriced, and poor quality. Not to mention horrendously poor selection, except on the obscene-markup-category stuff like clothing and boots. It would seem that all the REAL military surplus supplies have dried up, but these stores gotta continue to try and make a living somehow.

But oh how we as kids almost lived in the old REAL army supply stores in the late 70s / early 80s - that was fun, and the stuff was GOOD quality, because it was made to military specs. Unfortunately, at the time, I had essentially NO money, so didn't end up with anything good - just little stuff like a snakebite kit, emergency signal mirror, and a machete.
Old September 27, 2006, 01:10 PM   #14
guntotin_fool

Where are you hunting? what kind of terrain?
I would say that for most woods hunting you are better off with a 1-4 or a 1.5-5 power scope than any other, leave on the lowest power you have unless you have a deer standing and he/she won;t show you the antlers to know if it is legal for you to shoot. (some states only allow animals with certain number of points or lenght of times to be legal on certain tags.)

The clothing issue is, can you wear camo where you are going to hunt?

Some places allow the blaze camo but some places do not. Some states only require a little vest, somestates come close to requiring 100% coverage with orange. Read your local rules before you buy.

As for the $$ to spend on browning, they are nice pieces, I found a fancy duck/goose hunting parka for my son at a clearance place and he loves it, warm soft and comfy and so far has lasted two seasons.

I prefer to spend the money on stuff i can wear all the time and spent only enough on a Pumpkin suit at first to get me by, Later I bought a much better suit on clearance from Gander and will say I am happy I did, but only the clearance prices. I think I paid 60 bucks for the bibs and jacket in late december.

As for boots, buying too big will hurt your feet and make hunting miserable, instead if youare hunting in the cold, buy good boots, Sorel, LaCrosse and others make boots that are perfectly capable of keeping your feet warm in subzero temps and yet still be able to fit properly for walking.
I have a couple of pair of Sorels and use one or the other depending on what the temps are. The warmer pair have been warm sitting on the ice on Lake of the Woods in January at 20 below. Not cheap until you are sitting there in the cold and you go, yup $110 bucks to keep my feet warm, thats a bargain.

Again in the cold, buy a thin balaclava (I prefer the open face models,) and then spring for a really good hat, like an all wool watch cap or my preference again, a Mad Bomber hat in Orange. the balaclava keeps the wind off your neck and allows you to stay still longer.

I would not rush out and spend a ton of money on the outfit now, but rather buy a cover garment and then see what you like, My brother loves coveralls, I hate them, they are warmer, but on my build, they just about fix me every time I bend over, I love bibs but my boy hates them, so you see, not one size fits all. I do not know if you are north or south, we are in minnesota and first weekend in Nov we can go from -15 to +60 so we have to be prepared for what gets thrown at us. Post where you live where you intend to hunt and we can give you more specialized help.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Bigfatts

Leupold makes the Vari X-I in 2-7x33. If you're not needing alot of power it would be great. You have a great lower power for close ranges while still having the availability and flexibility of higher magnification. It retails for a little less than $200. I'm thinking of cashing out the change jar to finance one for myself.
Old September 27, 2006, 09:10 PM   #16
Fat White Boy

If you are going to tear up your camo every year, buy the cheap stuff and buy the best boots and gloves you can afford. I wear warm clothes then put the thin camo on over them. I only wear camo when Duck and Goose hunting. If I am rifle hunting for hogs, I want everyone to know where I am so I wear blaze or something bright. The hogs will smell you or hear you before they see you. Same for deer, I would think...
Old September 27, 2006, 09:28 PM   #17
ZeroJunk

Being able to tell if the deer is legal or not was mentioned.There also comes a point where you may want a particular buck you have seen before or you may just decide you want one a certain size or larger.You can certainly kill a deer at 250 yards with a 4X scope,but you may not be able to judge his rack.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:07 AM   #18
22-rimfire

Camo: If I were you and I was new to hunting, I'd get a camo coat for the temps you are likely to encounter, and a good quality blaze orange vest. Buy them large as you will probably wear stuff underneath. Think layers. You really don't need camo for rifle hunting. Something dark works well. Wool is always a good place to start. Remember, your orange vest is over top.

Don't forget your hunter safety class.
Old September 28, 2006, 08:15 PM   #19
Blondie

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be hungting in Northern Missouri/Southern Iowa area... I was told it can get pretty cold. I will probably get the cheaper clothes... I guess I really like Browning stuff (I have it for my trap gear and it seems like good quality).

As far as the scope goes, I'm leaning towards a Nikon Monarch. I will get a 3-9x40mm (matte to go with my stainless/syn Tikka T3 Lite), I just didn't know about the "adjustable objective" but after all the advice, I will pass on it.

On that Nikon Monarch... I've seen they have a "BDC" crosshairs where it gives you the markings off for how far away your target it... I was thinking of passing on it too, so I guess my question is how useful is that?

Have a great one!

Blondie
Old September 28, 2006, 08:31 PM   #20
cpaspr

Bdc =

Bullet Drop Compensator. Usefulness depends on how far you will be shooting. A .270 is fairly flat shooting, but even so, if you have your rifle sighted in at 100 yards because that's the norm, but might be presented with the opportunity to take a 250-300 yard shot, the BDC can come in very handy. Simply dial it in, set the crosshairs dead on, and let fly. The BDC is configured to automatically hold over the correct height for you. And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I have BDC on my scope. Have never had a long shot presented where I can use it, but if ever I do, I will.
Old September 28, 2006, 08:47 PM   #21
nico

With a 200 yard zero (~2.5" high at 100 yards) with 130gr bullets in a .270, you won't need any holdover out to around 400 yards iirc (I'm sure it's at least 300). A duplex reticle should be fine for normal hunting.
Old September 28, 2006, 09:10 PM   #22
Fremmer

Some people like 'em, and some people don't. I passed on the bdc because I like a simple, clean reticle, but to each his own. And the markings are not 'automatic'. If you're going to use them to take those really long shots, you still have to practice and make sure the rounds go where they're supposed to.
Old September 29, 2006, 06:55 AM   #23
Jack O'Conner

Take note of my hunting clothes: Warm green jacket by Carhart and tan work pants with double knee material by Carhart. Long johns came from Sportsman's Guide. Flannel shirt and sweater came from SALVO's. My boots are from CABELA's.

Camo clothing is a fashion item and I'll neither encourage nor discourage its use.
Jack
Old October 11, 2006, 09:20 PM   #24
BIGR

Jack O Conner, I was through Spearfish back in August where was you at? Nice deer Jack, might that be a 30 30 lever gun you are holding?

I try not to wear anything soild brown, tan, or gray while deer hunting because I am afraid some wacko will think I'M a deer.
Old October 11, 2006, 10:53 PM   #25
FirstFreedom

Do you bowhunt Jack?