The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Alaskanmonte

I want a Stoeger Coach Gun...comments ?

Hi everyone, I want to purchase a shotgun and I'm interested in everyones opinions of this gun. I'll be using it as a HD gun and also for a little fun at the range. I don't do any foul hunting and if anything I might use it for a little clay practice. Will this gun be O.K. to use for these purposes ? I just need some input before I purchase this gun. Thanks. ( BTW I'm looking at the blued model with a wood stock, it has a 20" barrel)
Old December 3, 2004, 12:29 AM   #2
bubbygator

I have the Silverado model. Has a good feel and heft to it. But the action is drastically tight. It will take some heavy work to get the gun to break open with any ease. You practically have to pry it open when it's new.

I used to have a well-used Stevens double that had an action that would open with a flick of the wrist. Maybe some of the Cowboy Action shooters have a magic formula for slicking up these new coach guns?

After working with sandpaper & oil on the joints, I finally got mine to where it would open without major straining. I patterned it at 15 yards with 7.5 birdshot & Aguila minishells & slugs - it'll do the job for home defense, but I'm not sure about beyond 15 yards.
Old December 3, 2004, 12:59 AM   #3
Alaskanmonte

Thanks for the response Bubbygator, how long have you owner your silverado model ? Do you think that with more shooting the action will loosen up ? I'll have to take a look at the gun in person and see if the action is tight as the one you have. I'll do a report after I get it.
Old December 3, 2004, 08:30 AM   #4
Rabbi

Monte,

I have the Stoeger coach with buried hammers, 19" tubes and screw in chokes. It is a GREAT shotgun.

I've had mine about three years and put about six hundred rounds thru it and it is still tight, as in somewhat difficult to open. The first owner was a CAS guy and his shoulder was getting mangled shooting sometimes two hundred rounds a day. He opted for a 20 and sold me the 12 gauge cheap.

I've used mine for informal trap shooting and it hits as well as any other shotgun does in my hands. That is not saying much as I am not much of a wing shooter. I think it would work fine for HD and certainly give you time to get to your rifle.

I know three other guys who have them and everyone speaks very highly of the Stoegers.

Good luck.

Rabbi
Old December 3, 2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Shooter 973

Stoeger Coach Gun

You might want to check out Impact Guns web site--- They are selling the Gun your looking at for only $269.00 , I have one on order with them. They have 4 of them sold and only 7 coming in.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Last edited by Shooter 973; December 3, 2004 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 4, 2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Danindetroit

Bubby I like the stoeger's with the chokes, I think they are supremes. Is it a tight pivot pin that makes them hard to open, or do you think the actually release lever is at fault. I keep going back and forth between a SxS, and another mossy. My neighbor has an old SxS and after you reef on the realese it pivots smooth. If it was a pin I figure I could get .0005" taken off and see if that loosens in up. I gun that don't open quick isn't going to be good for HD for me. TIA.
Old December 6, 2004, 07:29 PM   #7
Irishmtnmn2001

Hey Alaskan, I own the Stoeger Coach gun in .410 and it is kick to shoot small game with! I have even knocked down a couple of pheasants with it. I bought a Stoeger 16 guage last year and it is dynamite on doves. They are great working guns that you don't have to worry about sctratching up on a barbed wire fence!
You might want to consider recoil on the 12.... pretty heavy. I have a 20 Coach gun which for some reason....weighs as much as the 12 Guage and doesn't kick too badly.
Old December 7, 2004, 03:04 AM   #8
Danindetroit

Have shot a light sxs for trap, with 1 1/8 oz load at 1300 fps, not really bothered, 00 buck with 8 pellets in an oz and a standard load being 9 pellets at 1330 is not much different, unless the wad is much heavier. It is the weight of the payload not the type of shot used.
Old December 7, 2004, 07:01 AM   #9
Hal

I have both a Stoeger (hammerless) and a Rossi (hammer).

The Stoeger doesn't fit me all that well and is a real bear to shoot with heavy loads. Still it's a slick little fun gun that breaks down real well for travel and still packs a mighty punch.

We took a road trip from Ohio to Tunica Ms back in Oct. The Stoeger and a box of target loads, a handfull of slugs and some 00Buck went along for the ride broken down and packed in the luggage in the back of the van.

It's become my defacto camping/travel gun.
Old December 7, 2004, 10:51 AM   #10
K80Geoff

If the gun is really tight you need to see a gunsmith. Low end doubles do not get the hand fitting a good double should have. Hard opening could be caused by many things. The barrels were not fit to the action properly the way a Beretta or Browning would be.

SXS and O/U 's take a fair amount of fitting to work properly.
Old December 7, 2004, 09:43 PM   #11
Danindetroit

Thank you Geoff.
Old December 10, 2004, 05:56 AM   #12
DangDave

I have a Baikal, Bounty Hunter and was very suprised at the quality and the pattern of such a short barreled shotgun ( full coach choke ). I found an article about tricking out coach guns so they " fall open " ect. for Cowboy Action Shooting, but cant remember where it was, If I find it I'll post it.