The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 10, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
BillyBeards

First time out with my Argentine 1891 Mauser.

Today was the first time out with my first rifle. This is outside on the iron sights at 100 yards and I don't think I did so badly for my first time. The funny thing is that I went through about 25 rounds and didn't even hit the target. I switched to soft point ammo and started hitting. Both kinds of ammo were 174 grain so I'm not sure why I was so off with the FMJ rounds. I was shooting very high with the FMJ.
Either way it was fun, but much better once I started hitting the target.
My buddy was shooting his Bushmaster AR and once he shot the Mauser he said "Wow, that feels like a "real" gun."

Now if I get to go hunting I'll have to make sure the deer will stand still for me without anything in the way. A boy can dream right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Argentine1891 First 100 Yard Target.jpg (239.7 KB, 122 views)
Old March 10, 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Scharfschuetzer

Argentine Mausers can sure be fun to shoot. Is your Mauser a Modelo 1896 or the Modelo 1909 model. Also has it been sporterized or is it in original condition? Some of the wood used on Argentine (and other South American Mausers) is spectacular in figure and density.

The 7.65 Mauser cartridge isn't too far behind the 7.62 NATO for power. If you start to reload for it, you'll probably need .310 to .312 diameter bullets, depending on your barrel. With soft point bullets it will easily tip a deer over.

Assuming that your rifle has the original sights and barrrel length, I did some quick math for you so that you can center up your deflection (windage).

From the SR-1 target that you shot on, you look to be about 5" to the left. Given that, and assuming a 25" sight radius on your rifle, if you drift the front sight to the LEFT about .035", you should be zeroed up windage wise. For reference, that is just shy of the width of a dime, which is about .046"

As you already know, you have a nice a nice ladder sight with various ranges marked on it to raise or lower your elevation.

Post a photo of the "Fusil de Arjentina."
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; March 10, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old March 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
BillyBeards

Thanks for the great info. It's an 1891.
The rifle has been sporterized and the wood seems pretty nice and solid but no crazy figuring.
I don't reload now but I did save the brass in case I do in the future. I only started shooting about a year ago but I really do enjoy it so if it's like any of my other hobbies I'll probably get pretty deep in. I tend to be a tinkerer.
I had no plans to get a rifle but the opportunity came up to make a trade with another member here on the board and I went for it.
I've been keeping my eyes open at the local gun shows for older rifles like these because of the cool history behind them and the price. I think a 91/30 might be in my future.
It would also be nice if it were easier to shoot in my area. I had to go about an hour to the range today. I kills me when people here on the board talk about being able to shoot in the "back yard". I live in a condo 30 miles from NYC, no back yard ranges here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Argentine Mauser 1891.jpg (242.5 KB, 122 views)
Old March 11, 2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Scharfschuetzer

Ouch. That's a long ways to go to the range.

That's a nicely redone 1891 that you have. Measure the distance between the sights and then you can use this formula to determine the amount to move the sight if you want to move the zero to the right. Remember that with the front sight, you move the sight opposite the desired movement on the target.

Sight radius in inches / range in inches X error on Tgt in inches = sight correction
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old March 11, 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
sc928porsche

Looks as though your sporterized 91 had the barrel cut, new front sight, the front of the stock cut back and the handguard discarded and then sanded down to remove the "wire grooves".

You wont find a much smoother action. Its right there with the 30/40 krag. As with the krag, when reloading, care must be taken not to load them hot for the same reason.

I still have one in original configuration. One I sporterized and gave to my cousin. The other, I installed a tapered octogon barrel on and dressed it in a Richards stock in carlo walnut with MC rollover, timmeny trigger, and topped with a Bushnell 3-9x40 A/O. I gave it to his wife for her birthday. Boy was he upset. Oh well, at least they can use the same ammo.
Old March 11, 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Slamfire

It is my recollection that for original M1891's the lowest elevation setting was 400 meters.

This will put the bullets about 14" high at 100 yards.

The only cure is to find a taller front sight

There are taller sights for Swedish Mausers, maybe one will fit. I put the taller front sight in the base and file it so it is one at 100 yards.

Elevation changes will be all wonky after that as rear sight is still graduated for 400, 500, 600 meters and those are likely 3 MOA, 4 MOA changes.

As for your group sizes, once you get the sights zero'd, it takes practice to get the group down. Lots of practice.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
BillyBeards

At some point I thought I read that the rifle was set for 300 meters but I guess non of that really matters at this point because it has been cut down. I was sighting with the slide down all the way and aiming for the center of the target.
I should probably order some ammo online seeing as it will be months until another gun show.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
meatgrinder42

Another person is hooked by the 1891 Arg... I sure have been. I have a sporterized one also where the front sight was replaced and the barrel has about 4-5 inches lopped off.

Mine shoots the Hornady Customs best. I was hitting a 4inch square target at 100 yards on the irons. I'm thinking about making it my project gun but as you'll come to learn. Aftermarket pieces for it are very exclusive....
Old March 12, 2012, 09:32 AM   #9
McShooty

You might want to take a look at http://ataleoftwothirties.com/ for "What is a 7.65 Argentine?"
Old March 12, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
BillyBeards

Thanks for that link.