The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 11, 2010, 02:06 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When he stood in a position that allowed the most natural shooting stance, well back from cover, the threat could "see" him by moving about five feet laterally from its cover position. When the shooter moves inboard and closer to cover, the shooting position (speed/accuracy) is somewhat compromised, but in order for the threat to see much of you, it has to move about fifteen feet from cover.
That's a good reason not to move TOO far back from cover.

There are a few good reasons not to get too close to cover as well.
Old December 11, 2010, 02:27 PM   #27
9mm1033

My experience with IDPA and using cover varies from SO to SO. Some call it, others do not. I keep telling myself it's a game and follow the lead of your match SO. Because in a real gunfight, I'd assume when lead is headed in your direction, any cover will do. Maybe even diving under something.
Old December 13, 2010, 04:36 AM   #28
Brit

Cover?

Hi 9mm1033,

You are very right, reference the SO differing from place to place. But if they are being diligent (not range Nazi's) a cover call gets a quick step back from most competitors, as it should.

"Diving under something" mostly, is not such a good idea, ricochets tend to skip along the ground, about 4" about, above it, yes, right, just were you are!

Way back when, when we first started shooting IDPA, in Canada, the Guy who started it, was an innovator (Sadist!) the common perception was that the gun would jam up (malfunction) if it was fired sideways, ejection port down, as in under a vehicle. The case will jump back in? to the port.

After the called for 4 shots, from every one? No, did not happen, your gun just got dirty (quite a bit of complaining about that!) but it was a good thing to know.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:40 PM   #29
Don P

I have not seen it called to date at a match but I imagine at some point it will be called. I my self try not to crowd cover being for me it just makes it more difficult to engage targets. I guess the best way to put is we should find that happy medium between the two.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.