The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 3, 2009, 11:07 AM   #51
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Currently we have 1 gun in a lock box in the bedroom. If I were downstairs in the office when an intruder came in, I would have to walk right in front of him to the stairs to get to the gun. Not good!
I suspect that many people have the same issue.

I anyone were to break in through the front door while I were anywhere downstairs, he would have my way to the bedroom blocked.

Anyone breaking in from the screen porch in the back while I were in the kitchen would have me blocked.

And so on. Best case, I would be racing someone up the stairs. But where would that leave my wife?

But where to stash? My answer -- front right pocket , in a holster. Safe, effective, less exposure to theft.
Old August 3, 2009, 06:27 PM   #52
armsmaster270

That's the answer, if it's not on you, its only a paperweight.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:16 PM   #53
FlyboyTx

My .02

Nightstand gun (Kimber Custom TLE/II w/two mags) w/trigger lock. Go to bed: unlock. Get up: lock. Only I know where the keys are.

TV gun: in the drawer next to the "daddy chair" in the family room (XD45 w/two mags). Has punch-pin type trigger lock. I practice unlocking by feel regularly--in the dark--yes, it's unloaded then .

Carry gun away from home: Kahr CW 9 w/two mags (hmmmm...I see a pattern here.....).

Depending on dress, Kahr goes along for the ride (Wilderness "Safepacker") and Kel-tec .32 goes in the pocket (one back up mag).

When at home, between work and bedtime, carry gun is locked away, replaced by Kel-tec .32 in a KD pocket holster as the "always gun," until bed time (see first paragraph).

We have a long, ranch-style home, with master BR and Family Room at totally opposite ends of the house. So, I have one gun at each end of the house, and the house mouse (.32) in me pocket.

FBT

Last edited by FlyboyTx; August 3, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old August 3, 2009, 11:27 PM   #54
docpadds

Generally have my Glock 19 in my belt, except when my son is with me (my daughter is no issue but my son has responsibility issues we are working through).
Beside the bed is a quick release handgun safe that i practice opening in dark in nights i cant sleep LOL
Heaven forbid i get to the gun safe about 20 feet away, at that point i have all manner of goodies and calibers to choose from, wouldnt know which one to grab
Have had somebody try and get into the house when i was home alone before, never again.