The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 28, 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
branham700

Barrel Threading? Muzzle Break?

Im currently building a custom Remington 700, and i would like to know a good place where i can get a barrel threaded for a muzzle brake, and a good muzzle brake to buy....also, does anyone know if there are any barrels for the Remington 700 that are pre-threaded for a muzzle brake?
thanks
branham700
Old August 9, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
ogree

There are so many different types of brakes on the market a person can get confused very quickly.
I guess everyone has their preferences as to which one works the best, but I tend to stick with KDF styles of brakes.
I don't know of any barrel makers who thread the muzzle for brakes due to the variety of threads that are used by various manufacturers.
Threading the muzzle is usually reserved to whomever installs the device.
KDF has authorized installers around the country so you can contact them and find out who is closest to you, check out local smiths to inquire about other styles of brakes (cost & installation fees), and ask to see an example of the work before you agree to the installation.
The last thing you need is to have someone run a die over the end of your barrel and slap on a brake instead of threading it properly.
Old August 10, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3
SRG

Where are you located? Make sure your gunsmith is a machinist, too. Some are just parts changers. I like and have installed many VAIS Muzzle Brakes.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:13 PM   #4
mikenbarb

I got a 700 in 300 winmag and it kicks like a .243 with a KDF on it. I have a new herters I am going to put on something but not sure what yet. Another thing to consider is if your shooting in the dirt and if the brake ports from the bottom. It can be a real pain in the neck getting sand blasted every time you shoot and the barrel is close to the ground.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

brake

LongRifle;
You sound like you know what you're doing - excellent advice about locating off the bore, and recutting the crown at the same time.
Thank you for your service and if possible be safe and come home safely.
Harry B.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Wildalaska

branham we have a brake that is thge quietest and most effective on the market...give me a call and I'll give ya the TFL price

WildshillAlaska ™
Old August 18, 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Just an fyi, I have heard that muzzle brakes raise hell with scopes because of the way it changes recoil. Not sure if its true because I use Leupold and Burris on mine.
Old August 27, 2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Alleykat

Quote:
Just an fyi, I have heard that muzzle brakes raise hell with scopes because of the way it changes recoil. Not sure if its true because I use Leupold and Burris on mine
Somebody was bloviating you!