The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
WildBill45

Car Jack training Part Two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksbeDiLWrg

Car Jack training Part Two.

My training tips are based on real world scenarios I have been personally involved with in some way.

There are a million variables; these are just a few possibilities what you can take in, and adapt per the situation.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old April 1, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
NRAhab

I imagine that a Toyota Camry has a lot more stopping power than any handgun bullet.
Old April 1, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
WildBill45

Quote:
I imagine that a Toyota Camry has a lot more stopping power than any handgun bullet.
Yes it does, but if you get that hollywood scenario where the bad guy approaches you in the middle of the street in front of your bumper, run em' over!

Sorry to day, it really doesn't work that way very often!

Old April 1, 2012, 11:05 PM   #4
NRAhab

Seems like "driving away" would work just fine in most cases since I'd rather have an insurance claim than a dead body on my hands.
Old April 2, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
TheNocturnus

Always enjoy your videos. Thanks for posting.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old April 2, 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
Seems like "driving away" would work just fine in most cases since I'd rather have an insurance claim than a dead body on my hands.
This is correct, the proper thing to do, IF, the bad guy lets you! A 9mm is faster than any car, and with your kid's head in the rear window as the first target, this may not be a viable option in some cases as well...

Old April 17, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
dyl

My favorite line was:

"whoops! helps to put one in the chamber every time!"
Old April 17, 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Hansam

I'm going to assume that the range you were shooting at was at least 25 yds. That being the case why wouldn't you just drive off?

Also about the whole engaging the assailants like that - well color me a coward but I think I'd be high tailing it out of there with the car if I managed to get the BGs to duck for cover. True bullets are faster than cars but I'm still determined to make a getaway rather than expose my family to a prolonged firefight.

The other thing is try to explain to the authorities why you didn't leave when you had the chance - rather you got out of the car and engaged the assailants...

Now all that said can I ask where you got your training from? I've taken a few defensive hand gun courses and not in any one of them was I taught to engage the assailants like that... I think in virtually any state much of what was in your video is considered assault with a deadly weapon.

Finally I'm going to make a closing remark about caution - there are a lot of impressionable viewers on youtube. Please consider the ramifications of such videos - I'm all for shooting and defending yourself but much of what you've posted (not just in this video but in others you have up) could lead people into engaging in very dangerous and quasi-legal to downright illegal activities.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:53 PM   #9
dyl

I might be wrong but I think WildBill's video was heavily influenced by his LEO training. That might explain a possible scenario where an officer was obligated to stay and fight / protect rather than drive away.

Is there a time when that would happen for a civilian? That one's harder to think of... maybe driving home to find intruders exiting your house and you are unsure if the rest of the family is still inside?
Old May 4, 2012, 06:51 PM   #10
WildBill45

Quote:
I might be wrong but I think WildBill's video was heavily influenced by his LEO training.
No doubt, but there are times civilians must do so as well ... kidnapping of your family members, mass murder shooters--schools, etc. Many, many times you as a citizen may feel obligated to engage. There is nothing in the Constitution that requires you to help anyone, but there is something in the soul that prevents many of us from standing by and letting others get slaughtered!

Take my videos as you may, making you think is my point...

Old May 4, 2012, 10:50 PM   #11
scottd913

im really not sure what this video was about. I am sure it's not about self defence, looked more like someones fantasy of armagedon not to put anyone down target practise is good but im not sure i wanna take my car onto the range.I agree this could be misinterpreted as what to do but as forsaid assault with a deadly weapon sure comes to mind.
Old May 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #12
dyl

From WildBill's preface, also venturing another guess that WildBill is recalling a shootout he witnessed or participated in. From what I understand it's pretty common for LEO's to take cover behind their patrol vehicles during engagements. Probably recommended. I'm not a LEO so the thought of taking cover behind my own vehicle hardly crosses my mind. I appreciate the reminder of that option.