The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
PigFarmer

Decided to take the plunge

And build my very first gun from scratch. I've decided on an AR-15 starting with a stripped lower and putting that together first. Any suggestions from you guys on where to start other than buy a stripped lower and a parts kit for the lower?
Old February 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
gizmo688

You dont necessarily need a parts kit. You are buying stripped, so you have the opportunity to really pick the parts how you want them. What triggger are you looking at? Do you want an ambi saftey? Extended mag release? Im in a build now and I avoided the parts kit just because I wanted to be able to make the rifle mine, and not a projection of someone elses style in parts. It also didnt limit me to one manufacturer's style
Old February 19, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
ejhc11

Yes get any lower in you budget, choose a lower parts kit with or without trigger group. Some people opt for the std. single stage trigger while other spend more for a two stage. I don't have a problem w/single stage trigger set so I usually don't upgrade, Palmetto State Armory and CMMG are good budget lpks, RRA is very top.

Accuracy is mostly in the upper, so BCM is good quality for relative modest cost.

Once you get you lower you can decide full length or carbine size buffer/spring/tube. Choose your stock afterwards.

Enjoy your new adventure - you will build more...

Some shops here:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

My ARs - right one is dedicated CMMG 22LR carbine upper
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...RTriosmall.jpg
My newest AR15 - full size dedicated CMMG 22LR upper
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/AR15A2LR.jpg
The 22LRs are extremely fun...
Old February 22, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Clark

Scratch usually means you make all the parts.

For store bought parts, usually they just say build.

When I cut threads and chamber, I still just call it a build.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
PigFarmer

Thanks for the reply's

I picked up a Rock River lower parts kit at the most recent gun show and ordered a Spikes Tactical lower from Brownell's (got to my FFL today picking it up this weekend).

Thanks for the advice on this [B]Build[B].

For now I'm going with the parts kit with an open mind to changing it out once I really understand how everything is working.

thanks again.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
gizmo688

My new lower showed up at the ffl the other day. When i went to pick it up they told me i needed a "purchase permit". Stupid new state...
Old February 24, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Clark

Quote:
PigFarmer

Thanks for the reply's
I picked up a Rock River lower parts kit at the most recent gun show and ordered a Spikes Tactical lower from Brownell's (got to my FFL today picking it up this weekend).

Thanks for the advice on this [B]Build[B].
I feel a wave of nit pick traveling through me.

My wife takes group after group of engineers in a room and beats them up about technical details. To her I look like another opinionated old analog engineer in need of prodding.

That needs a slash [/] right before the last "b"
[b]Build[b]

I used to raise pigs.
When a big one got loose, I would steer it back toward the pen by hanging onto the ankles. Years later when ever I had my son by the ankles, I felt like I had a hold of a pig again.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8
PigFarmer

My lower came in and I got it picked up. Going to try and sit down at the bench and get the parts kit in it this weekend. Will keep posting updates as it goes.