The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 24, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
GoOfY-FoOt

FL Bill regarding a Magazine Capacity Ban - It's starting Again

Be aware, Florida residents. A Bill, HB1335 has been introduced with a piggyback clause limiting all new magazines or feeding devices sold in Florida, to 15 rounds.

I have no idea who to contact about this, but I was surfing the Florida Senate site, and came across this.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/1335
It seems like a trade-off to get our OC re-instated, by the way it seems to be under the radar.
What is everyone's take on this? Do you think it will pass?
Old March 24, 2011, 10:22 PM   #2
GoOfY-FoOt

Seems that magazines that exceed the capacity ban are grandfathered, as to possession, but you can never sell them, except to LEO, or active military or the NG.

Does this make sense? What happens when people die, and they have a ton of "illegal" magazines?

I wonder how Kel-tec, who is based in Florida, will feel about only being able to sell their PMR-30 to LEO and the military?
Where's a lawyer when you need one?

Someone give me the legal skinny on this one.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
a.lol.cat

Odd, I was under the impression that HB517 & SB234 were the front runners for allowing OC in FL. Personally I have no desire to OC, so a bill to restore it and put a mag cap ban in can go jump in a lake. Tying two unrelated items always annoys me in politics...

In looking at the introduction date and the fact it was just recently referred to the JC sub, I can only think this is an attempt to confuse house members.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/517

Passed today by the JC sub 14 y to 4 n. so 517 will go to the floor way before this even gets a chance in the JC sub.
Old March 25, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
GoOfY-FoOt

Yes, I saw that. I have been discussing this issue, locally, and no one thinks that it has the chance of the proverbial frozen orb in Hades. I hope they are correct. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I can't for the life of me, figure out how it will deter a single crime.
Old March 25, 2011, 06:23 AM   #5
MTT TL

Well at least they have changed the "reasonable law" amount of ammo that you need loaded from 10 to 15 rounds. :barf:

Is that the new arbitrary number?
Old March 26, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
Is that the new arbitrary number?
Only in Florida. Connecticut is pushing a magazine capacity limit of 10-rounds, with NO grandfather clause. If the law gets passed, people in CT will have 90 days to either turn in their "high capacity" magazines (with no compensation) or remove them from the state.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:58 PM   #7
cbrgator

There has been no action on this bill. Looks like its going to die in committee.
Old April 17, 2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
There has been no action on this bill. Looks like its going to die in committee.
God willing, we need all the rights we can get. Nothing on the negative, no matter how small it may be. The more rights the better for us.
Old April 17, 2011, 05:36 PM   #9
cbrgator

I just don't see the same Legislature that is advancing open carry simultaneously moving forward on mag capacity restrictions. That would strike me as awfully odd.