The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Rchjr

Heat shield for winchester 1897

Hi all,

What is the correct barrel length to have a bayonet lug and heat shield attatched to a winchester 1897?

Thanks,

Rchjr
Old March 29, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
OLNfan

I would think just an 18 1/2'' barrel would work great. heat shields are 11'' (thats my ideal size barrel but every ones different)
But the average/most common lenth is a 20'' barrel with the heat shield and the baynoet lug. on either your trench or riot gun.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; March 29, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Rchjr

Thanks for the reply OLN fan,

I have acquired a winchester 1897 " E " sn range ( I believe birthyear of around 1909 ) that would look cool with a heat shield on it. The barrell lenth is about 18 1/2 inches. This wasnt the original barrell length, it has been cut down with a choke added to the inside of the barrell. Any way or determining what the original barrell length was on this?

Was just wondering if it would work. Has anyone added a heatshield with out any modifications being made? Thanks again.

Rchjr
Old March 30, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
OLNfan

You can add it on most likey with minimal to no mod. Unless you have ghost ring sights (which would be very werid considering it was made in quite some time ago lol) the heat shield should be easy though. but Its funny how its 18 1/2'' cause that must of been some what of a fad they orginally 30” barrel in 1897-1957.
then in 1897 they offerd the shotgun in a 20''barrel with a variety of chokes. so either way yours was cut down to what I would say is a beauty barrel size.

it should all work I just dont know how hard it would be to track down the parts, (iv never tried and no one I know has this shotgun)

is this one yours? http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/YL-1897.shtm
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; March 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old March 30, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Rchjr

Why yes that is it, or course it is a winchester and not norinco.

Thanks again,

Rchjr
Old June 13, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
DAWGTRAXX

heat shield is available at numrich, the only mod required on a non trench gun barrel is the reliefs on the bottom of the barrel to allow for the heat shield screws to go through under the barrel